Tips for cleaning a crusty old Mosin?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Darkdally

Tips for cleaning a crusty old Mosin?

Post by Darkdally »

So I got this 91/59, and those who saw my previous thread know that I had to take it apart and fix it before I shot it. Well, I noticed that while the bolt was slick and recently serviced, the receiver and all the inside business was atrocious and crusty. It's a real chore to get it all apart, so I figure that the previous owner never bothered. Well that on top of the 3 boxes of ammo I ran through it last week (and I still have the beautiful black and yellow bruise on my shoulder to prove it :D), and I want to really, thoroughly clean it.

So I have it all apart now, because I refuse to fire it again until it's as pristine as it was in '42. I'd love any info or links or whatever you guys have for cleaning especially the receiver and magazine/trigger guard. (sorry I'm new to this and don't know all the technical terms). The barrel and upper receiver, along with the magazine are greasy and crusted with decades-old grease. I'd also love to redo the bolt and even the wood pieces. Any wisdom for a total cleaning overhaul? thanks in advance :)
ParrotHead

Re: Tips for cleaning a crusty old Mosin?

Post by ParrotHead »

I take all the metal, bolt, mag housing, screws, trigger, etc and throw it in a bucket with mineral spirits to get cosmo off.
Inside the barrel and receiver area I usually spray with brake cleaner. Takes it off fast.

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

entropy

Post by entropy »

If the bore is dark, take the barrelled action, put your showerhead on the densest stream, and run HOT water down it, from the breech end. (hold it with a towel and or a hot pad/ OveGlove.) Pull it out occasionally to run a bore brush down it, and rinse and repeat. (Sorry, couldn't resist that one.) Be sure to wipe down the outside as well as swab out the bore, (or blow it out with an air compressor) relube, with a light coat of oil. It took 45 minutes of that to get the bore of a 1916 Sestroryetsk to run clear water out.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

As for the wood stock, leave it as is. No matter how hard you try you can't duplicate history, good or bad.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Darkdally

Post by Darkdally »

Okay great, so I can use brake-kleen or carb cleaner or whatever as a solvent, and clean out the bore in the shower. That's good to know. Is there a particular kind of oil I should use to re-lube it?

Also, a confession: I asked about cleaning the wood because I had the rifle sitting on the floor by my chair, and spilled food (in particular, gravy) on the handguard and barrel. I know, I know, but at least it wasn't on the bolt action and trigger. I immediately tore it down and wiped it all, but I want to clean it really good to make sure. Being as I'm dealing with nearly 80 year old wood, I wondered what would be a safe bet for cleaning it without damaging it. I was honestly thinking like Pledge or something.

Yeah, again, I know. But I'm planning ASAP, probably tax return season, to get another, less valuable weapon to keep around the house so this one can be properly stored and cared for.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Get the gravy off of the stock with a damp rag.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This will become a long thread today, but keeping it simple is best. You must not get within 100 miles of your stock with any brake cleaner or spray chemicals! I seriously would not even have the stock in the same room if you go the brake cleaner route. It splatters and even a drop will leave a bad spot on the stock. You should just wipe the stock with a clean cloth or something that won't hurt the shellac which is kind of delicate. The metal parts clean easily especially after you get the initial cleaning out of the way. Get a good long 1 piece cleaning rod like a Dewey or my fave is a Tipton 40" or 44" rod. Long enough to clean from the breach end, with the bolt removed. I like HOPPES #9 solvent and it is cheap and easy to find at Walmart. You should always clean all that junk out good before the first shooting. And always clean ASAP after shooting. Most ammo for Mosins especially surplus ammo is corrosive so a week is too long to wait. Commercial store bought ammo and you might not have a problem. Welcome to the forum buddy.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

One more suggestion is Never use the guns cleaning rod. The steel rod will damage the crown of your barrel easily.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I did an extensive thread on some Type 53s' I bought on the whole process of cleaning... Link is below. I hope it helps answer some questions. :pointdown:

Type 53 U-Fix-Ums Project
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

42izzy9130 wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:As for the wood stock, leave it as is. No matter how hard you try you can't duplicate history, good or bad.
Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way which P.O.ed me. Did what I could to put it back and make it look as original as possible.

EDIT: So where the hell did my avatar go,? I didn't touch it! Put it back!
We didn't touch it either so far as I am aware. When did it vanish?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
42izzy9130 wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:As for the wood stock, leave it as is. No matter how hard you try you can't duplicate history, good or bad.
Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way which P.O.ed me. Did what I could to put it back and make it look as original as possible.

EDIT: So where the hell did my avatar go,? I didn't touch it! Put it back!
We didn't touch it either so far as I am aware. When did it vanish?
+1
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

What caliber is an Avitar? I can't find any on GB....WD-40 and an old toothbrush turns cosmo into thick oil you can wipe off w/ paper towels :thumbsup: .....SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"