Bubba'd Rem Mosin vs M39 project

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Yagop1

Bubba'd Rem Mosin vs M39 project

Post by Yagop1 »

I have a difficult decision to make and I'm not sure how to go about it. My first (impulsive) mosin purchase was a 1917 rem mosin that was (gasp) bubba'd. 4-31 IN was issued these when they were deployed to Russia to fight the Reds so it fascinated me. Stock cut and refinished, barrel cut to 24'' (poor cut at that), and no trigger assembly. I was wondering how much you think this would be worth, given that I decide to sell it. I bought it as a package deal along with other accessories like an archangel stock and timney trigger. But it's just sad to see such a poor barrel cut being done on it with a lyman sight I don't like looking at or through it.
I'm thinking about replacing the stock with an M39 stock, getting a Finn trigger, and replacing the barrel with an M39 Barrel (220 ish). The bolt is the smoothest I got so I'll keep that. No doubt, it'll make it a better shooter and a nice looking one too. Putting together an M39 would cost at least 400 bucks and I can't find whole M39s for anywhere under that anymore.
So should I make like the Finns and make this a project or are there any better ideas for this abused piece of history? Or put a trigger on it and see how it does on the market and use the money for an unmolested m39?
Or did I sin for bringing this topic up?
Lee-online

Re: Bubba'd Rem Mosin vs M39 project

Post by Lee-online »

IMHO,
Cut your losses and sell the Remington for whatever you can get or keep it for parts. A complete bolt is worth $50 so I would say the rifle is only worth just over that. Look for any Finn or Finn capture, they will all likely be good shooters if the bore is ok.
I recently got this one for a good price and it will likely be a great shooter. Deals are out there, you just need to look and know what you are buying. More importantly know when to walk away.
http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =5&t=25734

Look on your local classifieds like armslist, local gun forums and if you have a C&R or a cheap transfer at a FFL then buy online from GunBroker etc.

Classic has/had/will have soon m39s for $350 and m39 are always popping up locally for around that price.
Kollaa kestää
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I think that you know that you made a beginner's mistake buying that rifle in the first place. Don't make the situation worse trying to do a half-arsed salvage job that will still leave you with a mess.

Sell it for what you can get, then do some research. Decide what you want, and then start shopping.
scribs87

Post by scribs87 »

I can sell you a complete Remington fin marked for like $250. It has a cracked receiver and mismatched bolt. Floor plate and butt match. Almost everything is Remington parts.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

So you bought a bucket of bolts and rusty nuts and should you try to build a Cadillac? Was that the question?