Just got Arisaka Battlefield Pickup & WW2 Scrapbook & Papers

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Just got Arisaka Battlefield Pickup & WW2 Scrapbook & Papers

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Went to a auction yesterday for a lady that had just been put in a nursing home.I went with the specific intention of buying this very very rough Arisaka Model 99

I saw this particular auction on a site that posts local auctions.This rifle was in a mix of 5 more guns being offered couple of pump shotguns and old 22 rifle.

My 1st bid was on the the patches and pins and ribbons in the wood box with cig lighter.' $25.00

My 2nd bid was for all the papers including scrapbook which no one even removed out of the bottom of a old box that they had been in for 50 years..$15.00---this is the most valuable thing that I brought home in my opinion!!!!!! :pointleft: :pointleft: The old pictures you see are only half of what I have.!! All from overseas..Also included in pictures below is his BAR Machine Gun qualification scores from 1944..

3rd auction was for the rifle.Man it is rough but it still has the dirt and mud from being picked up in 1945!!! It is a early model 99 that had the bi-pod and it still has the anti aircraft sights.

I seen lady's son that was at the auction he was a very educated guy in his mid-50's and told me he had 2 more pieces of the rifle in a bag at home in Nashville and he would ship them to me hes said it was a bolt and spring.

I asked him the history of the gun and here was his quick story,I will get the rest as I e-mail him for a full story.But all the scrapbook and pictures everything adds up and this is a real battlefield pickup with the mud and dirt still intact from that day in 1945!! You can tell it has been in a very dry home and not messed with by anyone.I don't believe it has been handled very very little since the day it was picked up.

My question is should I leave this as is or should I clean it?

Last edited by Tennessee_Mosin on Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
etprescottazusa91

Re: Just got Arisaka Battlefield Pickup & WW2 Scrapbook & Pa

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I'm speechless :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:

Incredible finds :thumbsup:

Arsenal and series number?
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

If it were mine I'd break out a bottle of Kroil and clean it up the best I could.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

How the hell could a family knowingly let stuff like this go? Seal that rifle up in a shadowbox and hang it on the wall just as it is. Amazing haul! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:How the hell could a family knowingly let stuff like this go? Seal that rifle up in a shadowbox and hang it on the wall just as it is. Amazing haul! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
JYD beat me to it. Keep it as is and keep everything together. That son should have donated all this stuff to the nearest military museum not sold it like fodder at a flea market. It show absolutely no respect for his father and what he did so we could all be reading this today.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Tennessee_Mosin

Longcolt44 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:How the hell could a family knowingly let stuff like this go? Seal that rifle up in a shadowbox and hang it on the wall just as it is. Amazing haul! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
JYD beat me to it. Keep it as is and keep everything together. That son should have donated all this stuff to the nearest military museum not sold it like fodder at a flea market. It show absolutely no respect for his father and what he did so we could all be reading this today.
I agree!!! :pointup: :pointup:

I think a shadow box with all the ribbons and his hat induction papers and the most telling stuff all displayed together.

What do you guy's think of that?

Longcolt,I bought it at a estate auction not a flea market.

There was a ton of very old stuff besides this stuff I bought.

I thought of JYD in one item for sale.It was a record player on top and a radio below about size 18 x18 by 9 inches tall .All in a bueatiful wooden outer box and very nice condition from the 1930's or 40's.I wanted it but I do not want to wait 3 more hours to get to that one item.

My brother in law is a professional carpenter.I will get him to make me a shadow box this fall.
Tennessee_Mosin

More pics from the scrap book

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sounds like an RCA, I have one like that, raided it out of the trash pile after my neighbor died. I was searching the dumpster in case the son tossed out his dads IBM carbine, no such luck, he found it and took it home.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Wow what a score! Very cool.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
redhat10

Post by redhat10 »

Man what a haul..I would only display the rifle, as is..after stopping rust....Nice job, shopping one out of a auction....
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Intact Mum!
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I just have to jump back in here to say how incredible this find is. I have log books, photo albums and a book of poems my dad wrote about his shipmates and to my mother during the war. I just sent in and got his records including his DD 214 exit papers. Thanks so much for sharing these with us.
Tennessee_Mosin

Longcolt44 wrote:I just have to jump back in here to say how incredible this find is. I have log books, photo albums and a book of poems my dad wrote about his shipmates and to my mother during the war. I just sent in and got his records including his DD 214 exit papers. Thanks so much for sharing these with us.

Sounds great Longcolt,can you post a few pics?

What ships,times years etc?
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Just . . . wow!

Thank God you got it and not some bubba, or heartless/ignorant bargain hunter.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Absolutely unbelievable.
evildog

Post by evildog »

Awesome find!!!
wjt4

Post by wjt4 »

I agree, a very awesome find. Personally, I couldn't leave the rifle in that state. I would have to clean it and give it some TLC. Just because the owner picked it up and then let it go to hell doesn't mean that it has to stay that way. In my mind, I would want to try and preserve what was left of it for future generations. That's just me though.

Wjt4
lethe

Post by lethe »

Exactly what i was thinking....I wish i could find a auction like this though.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Tennessee_Mosin wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:I just have to jump back in here to say how incredible this find is. I have log books, photo albums and a book of poems my dad wrote about his shipmates and to my mother during the war. I just sent in and got his records including his DD 214 exit papers. Thanks so much for sharing these with us.

Sounds great Longcolt,can you post a few pics?

What ships,times years etc?
I haven't taken any pictures as yet. Time is a big thief.