New aquisition: 1942 Izhevsk M38

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jaytex1969

New aquisition: 1942 Izhevsk M38

Post by jaytex1969 »

Hello, all.

I've been absent for some time due to this oppressive "work for a living" thing.

I found an M38 for sale locally an jumped on it, with little thought or research beyond, "I don't have one of those yet!"

Numbers match, refurb? Counter bored, rifling looks good. Passed field gauge. Has cleaning rod, no other goodies.

Laminate M44 stock? There's a number 2 on top, just forward of the buttplate. Not familiar with that.
Black spots on metal are some sort of oil over spray. I should have wiped it down...

Enough yakking. Please take a look and let me know what I got or didn't get. Was it worth $250? I'm happy either way.

Thanks.

Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BOHICA
djbuck1

Re: New aquisition: 1942 Izhevsk M38

Post by djbuck1 »

I believe that the "2" is fairly common on refurb stocks. Quite a few of mine have it. It's probably some sort of arsenal/refurb marking, but who knows.

I'll defer to the real experts on your other questions.
jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

Thanks, djbuck1.

Do you think the finish on the stock has been altered? At first I thought it was stripped before I realized it was a laminate.

Then, I was reading here: http://www.mosinnagant.net/USSR/Model-1938-Carbine.asp

and came across this:

"These new laminated stocks began to appear on the m/38 and m/44 carbines in 1943-1944. They were found in two styles. An unvarnished/unstained version with a very blonde light colored finish and a typical Russian red varnished version."

If you blow up some of the photos, it looks life some scratches in the stock that, to me, appear like the result of some sanding. I'm happy with it regardless. Just wondering.

Thanks.

Jay
BOHICA
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

To me, it doesn't look like the stock was sanded. More like someone carefully took the shellac off with a solvent. However, I will defer to better eyes and more experienced collectors.

I like it. M38s are no longer all that common/available, and I can't recall seeing one in an M44 laminate stock. And $250 for an M38? I think you did well! :thumbsup:
lethe

Post by lethe »

I would be more than happy to have picked that up for $250!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

lethe wrote:I would be more than happy to have picked that up for $250!
You're damn skippy you would, we all would.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
jaytex1969

Post by jaytex1969 »

Got it out to the range today. Took dad out there for his birthday. Also took K31, Yugo M48 and Ishapore 2A.

I've not shot any of these rifles beyond function check until today. Sorry, no photos. Range got crowded quickly and my primary focus was dad's enjoyment.

M38, 1953 Bulgarian LB. At 50 yards, average 2.5" groups about 2" right and 8" above POA.

K31, 1982 GP11. 2" high and <2" groups. Very nice.

M48, 1999 Yugo M75. 1" right and 3" high. <2" groups.

Ishapore 2A, 1982 German MEN surplus. 2" right, <3" groups. Expected higher POI.

My range time has been nonexistent this year, so my skills are suffering. All four rifles should be capable of much better.

I'm new to Mauser shooting and my biggest take away today was the realization of how much I like the M48 sights. Mine lacks the front hood. That sharp point on the top of the front allows me to see more target features.

I'd like to find a rifle with the K31 trigger, Mauser sights, Enfield bolt and the Mosin's good looks and attitude.

Jay
BOHICA
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Get older and lose the eagle eye vision, once that happens Mauser sights are no longer your friend. Good deal on the M38, I said years back that the '38 would be the first of the then plentifully available Mosins to vanish and shoot up in price.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt