New Members, Make your first post here!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MarieB

Re: New Members, Make your first post here!

Post by MarieB »

Thank you! I figured it would be worth a whole lot more than that since it had all the bayonet parts, and it is in such good condition. I appreciate your help.
ryanp

Post by ryanp »

Hey, new here. Looking forward to all the information I'll be getting from you guys. I have a.1942 91/30 and i recently purchased a 1944 Finnish m39. I love them both but the whole reason I came here in the first place besides all the military arms lovers on here is because sadly I have not been able to fire my m39 in 7.62x54r. I would greatly appreciate some help if possible. I'm still kinda new to the mosins so I don't know much.
JLinde13

Post by JLinde13 »

Hi all. New to the forum and to firearms in general. Have always had an interest in history and I guess that made the perfect storm leading to these rifles. The rich and varied history captivated me as I started to research more, and so here I am. Hoping to learn more about my rifle which I just picked up from my brother-in-law yesterday, and these rifles in general. Thanks for having me, and looking forward to some learning and good conversation along the way. Just forgive me if I don't quite get all the terms right, as I said, total noob to firearms.
BTW
M91/30 1939 Izhevsk, however the more I go over it, seems more parts are Tula. So fascinating!
TheOldManNB

Post by TheOldManNB »

I have been given what appears to be a New England Westinghouse 1915. It bears no import marks of any kind that I can see. An american who had come up here fishing gave it to my father around 1965, and that man claimed that it had been given to him at least 20 years earlier. It has not been fired since as neither the man who gave it, nor my father had any idea what it was. I was only able to determine what it was thanks to nice folks like you who run these kinds of forums. I have cleaned it up as best I can and seeing nothing obviously wrong, I will attempt to fire it at my local range soon (from a distance as it may very well not have fired a round in 70+ years). It was not always stored properly and is not beautiful. I will read many other posts and look at many of the pictures before troubling any of you with the same old questions.
mcaptcnr

Post by mcaptcnr »

Greetings
Longtime lurker here. Not much of a poster, more of a reader/ student of history.
I collect and shoot absorbing the stories these firearms have to offer. Many thanks for the countless hours I have spent thus far reading and learning from the posts offered here.

Mcaptcnr
Achilles35

Post by Achilles35 »

Hi, my name is Billy. I got into Mosin's about 2 years ago and I have 2 now. One is a 1924 hex barrel m91/30 that I keep fully stock, the other is a 1943 round barrel m91/30 that I've put in an archangel stock. I'm actually hoping to get some information and opinions about the best ways to scope a Mosin. I have no interest in the scout setup, which leaves only a couple of options that I'm aware of. The PU scope setup, the ATI setup and I've seen one from JMeck as well. Anyone have anything to say about these three or any other setup that could help me make the right decision? I appreciate in advance, your time and opinion. Thanks.

-Billy
dbfan2007

Post by dbfan2007 »

Hello. Several weeks ago I tried out a Mosin Nagant Rifle that my friend owns. Since then, I've wanted one of my own. Browsing around, I thought paying anything over 200 bucks would be a bit much so I kept looking for a decent deal. A guy had one for $175 on Facebook. I messaged him and was second in line. Earlier, I had some time to waste, so I stopped by a local pawn shop because I know the owner and workers. I had spoken to one of the workers before about getting a Mosin. He said by the time he ordered it, shipped it, etc it would be over $200. I brought it back up and he said the same. Something he forgot to mention before is that he has an M44 Carbine in the store. He showed it to me and lowered the price to $175 plus tax. It came to $185.50 and that's how I got my first Mosin Nagant. I am hoping to have time to shoot it this weekend. I have been trying to research the markings and everything. It needs cleaned up a bit. Also, the serials aren't matching and the spring for the bottom magazine plate is messed up. It doesn't spring so you have to lock and unlock the level manually, if that makes sense.

From what I can tell, it's a 1947. There are no import marks, from what I can tell. There are some places on the stock, but they are so worn that I can't tell. I think one is the CCCP stamping with the circle. Anyways, I may make a thread with a ton of questions. I hope everyone isn't tired of that. I'm sure it happens often. I hope to have the Carbine for a while and add the full sized rifle to the collection. I would like to stick around for a while.
czech

Post by czech »

G'day,
I'm a new remember on this board, but a very long time owner of a Mosin 91/30 PU sniper rifle.
Oh, almost forgot, name is Joe aka 'czech'
Zach123

Post by Zach123 »

Hello my name is zach I am new to the mosin community.I apologize now as my terminology isn't very good. I just recently purchased my first yesterday while I was with a friend at a local gun shop. My friend being more of an expert than me told me to buy the m91 I saw behind the counter saying it was a good deal we went back hone and did a little research and found out it was a finish capture model 1891 dated 1896 I was happy to find everything was authentic and happy I had gotten a good deal I joined the forum to see if anyone would be able to tell anything more about it and how much it would be worth. My bolt and my reciever are matching and my but plate and mag are also numbered but not matching I found from research that many don't have a numbered but or mag. It is also marked with the Finnish sa marking on the reciever. It is in good condition with no major cracks the mag still has blueing my friend said it is most likely a later teplacement as no other parts are still blued Any info is welcome. Thank you
lethe

Post by lethe »

New here from the PNW. I bought my first mosin about 3 months ago, a numbers matching 1948 m44. A few weeks ago i picked up a second mosin. This one is a numbers matching 1938 91/30. I actually took it shooting for the first time this morning and it seems to be a pretty good shooter. I look forward to learning more about the mosin...They are kind of addicting.
JagdPanther

Post by JagdPanther »

Hello guys had to make a new account as I could not remember any of my old login info. Glad to be back though. Cheers!
Yagop1

Post by Yagop1 »

Hello. I'm pretty late in getting Mosins. I've got a 1943 and 1942. I'd like to put a PU scope on the 1942. I also (impulsively) bought a 1917 Remington mosin that was sporterized. I'm not sure what to do with it and man, is it bubba'd. The barrel cut isn't even straight.
On the side, I'm building a Turk 93 piece by piece and I'm looking for a stock for my K11.
Devo86

Post by Devo86 »

Hi All
I have a 47 M44 , 41 91/30 , and a type 53. Such great rifles. Look forward to exploring the boards.
-Nick
xanderblades

Post by xanderblades »

Hey there, I am new to this site, hopefully some one can help me with info on a thickening/bulging? barrel. It is a 1943 tula Mosin Nagant sniper rifle as per cn mark and filled in holes for scope. All is matching, however there is bulge few inches away from the front sights which looks either intentional machining?, stepped barrel? looks factory, but I hope its not due to damage or neglect of any kind, because the rest of the rifle looks mint and the bore is surprisingly like new mirror shiny. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! Alex I am trying to upload a pic, but I am not sure how to do it...
devinsdad

Post by devinsdad »

Hello,

I just bought my first Mosin today. I reciently got my C&R FFL and been wanting to get into Mil surplus for some time now. My normal guns are AR'S but I become bored with them here lately. Years ago I picked up a Yugoslavia 59/66 and find I keep playing and tinkering with it. I'm sure the Mosin will be no different. The one I got is a 1938 Tula. I'm really pumped to get this and put some rounds thru it. Hope I can be of help here.
killahskeez

Post by killahskeez »

Hi im new to the forum, I'm 23 years old and from Arizona, I've always admired Mosin Nagants and just recently bought my first one at a gun show, it's a 1930 Tula hex receiver Mosin Nagant, I finally got around to shooting it yesterday and after I shot it the bolt was very hard to open and the casing wouldn't come out I couldn't get it out until i got home and stuck a brass rod down the barrel and hit it with a hammer until it finally came out, the casing is a bit scraped up, i was wondering what count of cause it because i cleaned the bore very good before shooting it, could it be the head spacing and is there any way to check the head spacing without having to buy the headspace gauges, heres some pictures of the casing ImageImage
fuzzybassguy

Post by fuzzybassguy »

New guy here, name's Mike, so have a '27 Tula ex Dragoon
seaboss

Post by seaboss »

Morning,

New member here from South Florida.
Very glad to be here. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this site.

Thank you

Seaboss
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

berylak47 wrote:Hello everyone. New Mosin owner here. I got a 1938 Izhevsk 91/30 last month and I really like it. I am also a regular on the AK Files and FAL Files as "Beryl".
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: pu sniper

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tommy9971 wrote:Hey guys. Just got my first pu sniper. Mine does not have scope numbers stamped on the barrel. Looks like they may have been scrubbed. It is a1943 Izhevsk. Is this common? Thanks!
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt