PTG markings

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
NLMosin

PTG markings

Post by NLMosin »

Were there many different markings used on Tula's in 1912? Mine (in the center) is different from the other two examples I found of Tulas from the same time frame. Thanks!
compartulas.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
husker51

Re: PTG markings

Post by husker51 »

I don't have any quite that old. I wasn't aware of the differences. Thanks for bringing the subject up. Maybe someone will provide a little more insight.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have two 1916 PTGs. One is a Balkan and the other as it was.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Unfortunately Longcolt its the crest I was hoping to see. Your Balkin has the same font and layout as mine, but the scrub looks big enough to have been either of the crests. IMHO as I dont have it in my hand. The picture btw was very good so thats what Im basing my judgement on. Curious. Why are you ruling out the one in the lower picture as being Balkin? Are you thinking the crest has been removed by other hands?
People live together.
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

You asked about 1912 rifles from Tula and that is the first year for the PTG marking. I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect there are at least some 1912 dated rifles that don't have the PTG marking (e.g. leftover barrels). I've never seen one, but I bet they're out there.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I guess I need to clarify why I am asking. In my OP the pic on the left is of the Imperial Tula Ordnance Factory. These were stamped this way from 1892-1912. But based on the lettering layout mine is not a 1912 from that run. The one in the middle is mine. It has a small crest also which more resembles the crest on the right pic which is of Tula Emperor Peter the Great Ordnance Factory with the stamping shown used from 1912-1918. But the crest on the right pic is much larger than mine. I guess I should have asked if there were different size crests stamped during the '12-18 year range.

My 1912 does have the PTG crest, but it is much smaller than the other example.
People live together.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

" Why are you ruling out the one in the lower picture as being Balkin? Are you thinking the crest has been removed by other hands? "

Other than it having no traits of it being a Balkan, I can't remember. Maybe I should do a side by side comparison of them. I bought them both 3 years ago a few weeks apart.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
entropy

Post by entropy »

How is the top one of your two a PTG, Longcolt?

It says Ishevsk Ordnance Factory, Ishevskii Oroozhenyee Zarod, "ИЖЕВСКЇЙ Оружейный Зародъ"

But I don't even see a place where Emperor Peter the Great, Imperatora Petra Velikago, "ИМПЕРАТОРА ПЕТРА ВЕЛИКАГО" would fit on the shank.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I have a 1917 PTG that has had the Eagle scrubbed so I don't know what size it was. But I did find a 1914 PTG on the internet that has the small eagle like yours does.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Thanks Mike! Looks like your scrubbed one is also small based on the proximity of the scrub to the lettering but you are right is could go either way. Perhaps they used the smaller crest in the earlier years and the larger crest later... :vconfused:
People live together.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Here's what a Google search turned up, by looking at pictures of the different years of the PTG run.

1912 Small Eagle
1913 Small Eagle
1914 Small Eagle
1915 Large Eagle
1916 Large Eagle
1917 Large Eagle
1918 Large Eagle (Rare as Hens Teeth, I THINK there are 4 known so far)

So from 1912-1914 they used the small eagle, and from 1915-1918 they used the large eagle. So this should answer your question. Now as to why they went from the small eagle to the big one, I couldn't find the answer/reason for that.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

ffuries wrote:Now as to why they went from the small eagle to the big one, I couldn't find the answer/reason for that.

Peter wasn't great enough? Sorry, had to. :)
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Awesome research Mike!! You da man! :thumbsup:
People live together.