My new Mosin!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MosinMan1998

My new Mosin!

Post by MosinMan1998 »

Hey guys! Just bought my first Mosin-Nagant M91/30 yesterday and I have a couple questions. So I am wanting to use my Mosin for hunting/shooting for fun and I don't know what ammo to use? I was looking at WOLF 203 grain soft-point ammo. Are Muzzle brakes worthwhile? Also, what do you guys think about scopes? This is the one I have been looking at. I am not planning to ruin the historical value at all btw, just wanna know. Thank you! :wave.gif:
martin08

Re: My new Mosin!

Post by martin08 »

Welcome!

Aftermarket accessories such as the muzzle brake are not necessary or recommended. And you might try it with the iron sights before investing in a Scout long eye relief scope. Bet it will perform just fine.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I think these rifles are best left as is. A muzzle break does nothing for you and, in my opinion, does not make the rifle look very nice. People trick these things out with synthetic stocks and after market accessories that simply negate any historical value and serve no real function.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

These forums are mostly dedicated to the 'preservation' of the Mosin Nagants we own. Accessories such as muzzle breaks and non-original issue scopes arent really the thing here. And I hope Im coming across in a polite and friendly manner, its hard to get the feeling of a post sometimes, because thats my intention. Not that you cant do whatever you want to do with your own rifle, but here you will likely get more help identifying and preserving what you have rather than altering it... 8-)

And martin is right. I can keep a decent pattern with a few of mine at 200 yards with open sights. Makes the hunt even more of a challenge. If youre filling the freezer though the scope increases the odds greatly. :bwink:

Welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
MosinMan1998

Post by MosinMan1998 »

NLMosin wrote:These forums are mostly dedicated to the 'preservation' of the Mosin Nagants we own. Accessories such as muzzle breaks and non-original issue scopes arent really the thing here. And I hope Im coming across in a polite and friendly manner, its hard to get the feeling of a post sometimes, because thats my intention. Not that you cant do whatever you want to do with your own rifle, but here you will likely get more help identifying and preserving what you have rather than altering it... 8-)

And martin is right. I can keep a decent pattern with a few of mine at 200 yards with open sights. Makes the hunt even more of a challenge. If youre filling the freezer though the scope increases the odds greatly. :bwink:

Welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:
Thank you! And yes, the muzzle brake seemed a little pointless to me i just saw one and wondered. Also, if someone wants to buy me an original scope feel free but money IS an issue on my end so this scout scope looks to be all i can do. :? Also filling the freezer is actually something i need to do lol. Anyways thanks for the help y'all. Still, what about ammo? what should use for shooting/hunting?
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Basically any soft point ammo is OK once you get the POA versus the POI down pat at the distances you intend to shoot. I tend to try and only shoot with brass cased ammo and avoid any steel cased stuff as that seems to avoid any feed problems for me. I have also found I don't do well shooting with a long eye relief scope like the scout ones you are talking about so maybe you ought to try one before investing any money in one. Good Luck and hope you enjoy your rifle. Bill :wink:
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Welcome! I have taken a few deer...all with iron sights, out to about 120 yards, with various mosins. The 203 gr works good in some, lighter soft point better in others. Try a few different types to which it like best. Try the iron sights, you may surprise yourself. Throwing a scope on an ordinary mosin is something we discourage here.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

If you have a decent Mosin that shoots like they will, a head shot @ 100 m is no great feat. Snip the tip off some Wolf FMJ and you got a 40 cent hunting bullet, as good as you need. If your gonna do it, do it Russian style. SBP.... :wave.gif: practice leaned against a tree,or across a log. There's no bench rest where I hunt.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
MosinMan1998

Post by MosinMan1998 »

For mother Russia! lol. Well, how can I try out a scout scope? Or shold I watch vids? Sorry kinda new lel
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

scout scopes are ok i had one on a rifle someone killed and i am messin with. I have a JMEK
on my hunting rifle scope mount and a low power weaver to keep it old looking. works
great and I just bought a bent bolt handle to switch out. So it did not ruin the gun at all.

Jmek is a saddle strap on type no no drill no mods ect.
MosinMan1998

Post by MosinMan1998 »

Well, ill buy the scope anyways even if i don't like it on my mosin it can be used on another gun. :) Hers a pic of the beauty Image
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

Leave it as it is. Keep history alive!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The 2x7 scout scopes on E-bay are good........I have one on a 91/30 that I bought with rear sight missing. 3" group at 100, 5 gallon bucket every shot @ 400. I've had to saw about 1/2 inch off the rail on the ones I've used, If you don't they touch the receiver on the end. PM me if you want a step by step to success......Alan :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
MosinMan1998

Post by MosinMan1998 »

ParrotHead wrote:Leave it as it is. Keep history alive!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I can take the scope off after I'm done tho. And i don't want muzzle brakes cuz FIREBALLS! :devil2:
MosinMan1998

Post by MosinMan1998 »

steelbuttplate wrote:The 2x7 scout scopes on E-bay are good........I have one on a 91/30 that I bought with rear sight missing. 3" group at 100, 5 gallon bucket every shot @ 400. I've had to saw about 1/2 inch off the rail on the ones I've used, If you don't they touch the receiver on the end. PM me if you want a step by step to success......Alan :thumbsup:
I don't really have the option of sawing something off but ill pm you! lol :BBQ2:
MosinMan1998

Post by MosinMan1998 »

Btw its a laminated stock. Is laminated heavier or lighter than a stock stock? stock stock heheh :)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You mean hardwood stock. That is what you call a stock stock. [emoji14] Well the muzzle brakes will actually reduce recoil, and/or muzzle rise when shooting, but they have a tendency to not stay put and often fly off from the recoil. There is one on the market that attaches just like a bayonet and won't come off but is about 80 bucks or so. Personally I don't see the need and wonder if it would scratch the barrel. If you prefer to hunt with a scope then you are looking in the right direction when considering the Scout mount setup. Remember that anything that requires a hole to be drilled or any metal or wood to be filed will forever alter the rifle's original condition. Many people will say who cares, because they are cheap rifles. But I say isn't it nice to know that in this world of expensive antiques that even though these are relatively inexpensive that they are available to be had in original, or original refurbished condition. Facebook is overrun with guys who make the argument to chop and hack and sand and modify because they are cheap. I don't listen to these guys. I have developed a appreciation for military rifles that just won't let me make a permanent modification.
As for the ammo, those 203 grain soft points are going to be the heaviest bullets you can buy. There are also some great hunting rounds available from Prvi Partisan, 150 grain sp and they have brass cases, and feed and function great.
Welcome to the forum. You have a very nice laminated Mosin. Congrats.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Check out Brass Stacker scout mounts. They are non destructive and allow the scope attachment.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
lobowolf761

Post by lobowolf761 »

I have one done up with a brass stacker mount and 2 others with UTG tri-rail scout scope mounts. The first 91/ 30 that I bought was used last deer season with a scout scope and loaded with 180grn semi-spitzer soft points and put a nice buck in the freezer. I also use 150grn Spitzer softpoints. Nice thing about scout scope mount is that you can return the rifle to original in a matter of minutes. I also reload the ammo.

there is nothing better than the smell of burnt powder in the morning. Except of course the smell of fresh coffee.
lobowolf761

Post by lobowolf761 »

Of the 4 91/30s that I have 1 is kept completely original, 1 is original except for brass stacker scout scope mount and scope, 1 is in a archangel stock that I have managed to mount a regular scope on and the last is in a ATI Monte Carlo stock with a mount that uses the rear sight area that mounts a regular Vortex variable scope. My 1891 will stay original. The ones that I modified can be returned to original in no time because I didn't drill a single hole and have kept all parts for each rifle. If I have upset anyone I do apologize. I to believe in maintaining the history of these fine rifles but I also believe in firing them getting the best I can out of them and myself. Old eyes = scopes.

there is nothing better than the smell of burnt powder in the morning. Except of course the smell of fresh coffee.