M38 flea market find.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
walnut red

M38 flea market find.

Post by walnut red »

Trying to clean out the barn so I set up a table at the local fairgrounds flea market. Walkign to get breakfast I found a 1942 Izhevsk M38. Typical refurb, post war stock,force matched numbers, counter bore etc. But the import mark is under the barrel above the cleaning rod, not plastered over the side and it looks pretty clean and unmolested. At $115 I could not resist. I've a weakness for carbines. I sold very clean a 1940 Tula to a young lady who was not much taller than a M91. Her husband said she liked shooting his 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 so they came to the market trying to find one for her. Down side was I forgot the bayonet so we've agreed to meet at a LGS this afternoon and I'll deliver the bayonet. The bright side is that the rifle range is between me and the LGS so I'll have a chance to try out the M38. I guess that makes it a wash.
pongo

Re: M38 flea market find.

Post by pongo »

Very nice. That is an excellent price. I would be very happy with that.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

You stole it if it really exists. :worthless:
:lol:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Yeah, I know. I'll try and get some pictures posted this week. While walking back to my table I had someone ask to see my Russian Mauser. Some people I don't even try and correct.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You found things in your barn that people will pay you for? Lucky, all I found was 70 years worth of 'coon shit and squirrel nut hoards, and I am still cleaning it all out. Nice M38 find, they were once as common as dirt, now few remain, I always said they would be the first Mosin refurb to vanish off the dealers tables.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

1942 M38.jpg
One odd thing is that a new serial number was added to the top of the receiver, obviously for import reasons. The same serial number was also added to the bolt with the old serial number having been scrubbed off first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Looks good, wow what a bargain. Congrats :vcool: :vcool:
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

That would be a buy any day at that price, nice find :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933