91/30 refurb sticker shock

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SA1911a1

91/30 refurb sticker shock

Post by SA1911a1 »

I haven't been playing on the Gunbroker Mosin pages lately. I was a bit surprised when I just ran through the Mosin listings. Without actually doing the math, it looks as if the average asking price is around $240.00 for 91/30 refurbs. Are folks buying at these prices? Is this where we are today?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
willyj73

Re: 91/30 refurb sticker shock

Post by willyj73 »

I think there is a slight disconnect between some of the sellers asking prices and the actual price these will sell for. One high priced seller has a green background--I've seen the seller list 91/30's for close to $400. I think some people are just trying to see if they can get that much for one--possibly from first time buyers, I suppose.
Mosin Fanboy
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I've been watching this seller and it seems the only ones he is selling are the MO's or the Hex's. Most of them just keep being relisted...
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

A lot sit at that price. Different story locally to me. Dealer set out nearly 20 newly acquired refurbs, almost all 43 izhevsk, for 240 after paying over 200 each with shipping. First ones to show up here this year, he's nearly sold out already.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Most on-line prices are ludicrous IMO, which is why they keep re-listing. But hey, if these sellers want to list a refurbed ex-Dragoon at $400-$500 for weeks, that's their call.

I think $250 average on-line price for a round receiver (refurb) sounds about right. 'Picked up an M91/30 refurb for $75 yesterday. Same type/year on GB today? $400 asking price.

Do your homework, be patient and shop. :2cents:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Have you guys noticed there is hardly any M-44's listed? there were plenty a month ago. I wonder whats up? :vconfused: SBP 65 MN's
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Yes, the prices have increased although some of the sellers must live on a different planet. A few M-44's hit the blocks today. One of the big crate seller's has had a really nice M-44 listed (relisted) many times at a very fair price but hasn't moved it yet. I believe he is known for Molot carbines and rifles - maybe that is why it hasn't moved, although if I wanted another, the Molot factor wouldn't bother me. I think the nicer 91/30's (in appropriate stocks) have landed on the $230-$250 mark. Others seem to be in the $170-$220 area. Even with the more expensive rifles, I am seeing sellers entertain offers now. But, if you are diligent, there are deals out there.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Been there and seen it all before with Mauser's, Enfields, US milsurps, and so on. This conversation could be taking place in 1994 only substitute Garand for Mosin. No milsurp stays cheap indefinitely no matter how many of them are imported. Think of how many kids turn 18 each year and head to the gunstore for their first Mosin, they don't remember the $45 91/30, or the $120 one, their reality is the $250-$300 Mosin and that is what they will buy.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I miss the days of sub $100 milsurps at the local store. You could browse through them, find the one you want & buy it without worry of financial repercussions for just a bit more than the cost of a tank of gas.

Now one can only find starter refurbs on Gunbroker... Heck; Why spend $250+ on a basic refurb when you can get an M39 or M28/30 in the $500 range. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Crispytoad08

Post by Crispytoad08 »

279.00 each in ny. And they are selling.
Jack
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Where in NY are you Crispy?
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

This week on Gun Broker, I just saw a nice Tikka 91/30 sell for $250 and an Instructie marked 91/30 sell for $205. Those are much better choices than standard 91/30's, IMO. I just bought a 1924 Tula M91 for $270+shipping..again, much better choice, IMO. Guess some first time buyers who just have to have a 91/30 will pay really high prices for one. At $279, you'd be better off watching GunBroker for something uncommon that nobody is bidding really high on.
Mosin Fanboy
Crispytoad08

Post by Crispytoad08 »

Im on eastern long island.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

What is really interesting to me is that the price of most common rifles have risen at a far faster rate than that of the premium rifles in the last few years. 91/30s refurbs have tripled in the last six years. The cost of an M-39, M27, etc. may have risen 15-20%. The prices of the really rare, high-end collector items seem to be priced by Alice, in Wonderland.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

SA1911a1 wrote:What is really interesting to me is that the price of most common rifles have risen at a far faster rate than that of the premium rifles in the last few years. 91/30s refurbs have tripled in the last six years. The cost of an M-39, M27, etc. may have risen 15-20%. The prices of the really rare, high-end collector items seem to be priced by Alice, in Wonderland.
The refurbs are rising fast because they are the only ones that can be bought in bulk strictly for speculation of the market. There are those out there doing just that.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh yes, some of us might have 23 crates of Mosins in the barn :twisted: nobody I know of course :biggrin:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Seems like 91/30s are actually selling for around $200 right now. And I just won a Tikka 91/30 for $250 last week, I only bid the opening bid of $250 and nobody else bid on it.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

bocephus wrote:Seems like 91/30s are actually selling for around $200 right now. And I just won a Tikka 91/30 for $250 last week, I only bid the opening bid of $250 and nobody else bid on it.
I was so tempted to bid on that. Nice rifle at a great price. I couldn't believe that nobody else bid. I paid almost $400 for the one I own--should have waited on a better deal.
Mosin Fanboy
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Yeah, I shouldn't really be bidding on anything right now but I thought what the hell, I'll bid 250 and that's it. I'll more than likely get outbid and if not I'm getting a pretty good deal. I bought two Tikka 91/30's this winter for $250 that nobody else bid on too. Some seller in Idaho was selling a bunch of them and I had a few in my watch list. So I think two thing happened, one he listed too many at once. This allowed buyers who are interested in this type of thing to not have to bid against each other. One of the ones I got I wasn't going to go for but nobody else did so I thought what the hell... 2nd, his auctions closed two days before Christmas so there wasn't a whole lot of buying activity on gunbroker.
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I would have bid, but I figured why need somebody out of a deal. The have one, and shouldn't be buying anything either.
Mosin Fanboy