M28 with early m28-30 stock

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
scribs87

M28 with early m28-30 stock

Post by scribs87 »

So this is kinda a repost so if administration feels the need to delete this please by all means do.

So as you know i recently got this rifle in a deal and low and behold its a sig m28 fitted with a early m28-30 stock.also it has a early nose cap.

Is this uncommon? What are your thoughts and if i need some other photos ill get them to you.

I rushed home to take photos but the sun was already going down
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lee-online

Re: M28 with early m28-30 stock

Post by Lee-online »

I can not really see the pics because they are too big. I have to scroll up and down and left and right and then only see a portion of the pic.
Kollaa kestää
scribs87

Post by scribs87 »

Lee-online wrote:I can not really see the pics because they are too big. I have to scroll up and down and left and right and then only see a portion of the pic.
I agree but iv never had any luck posting pics on the forum. Thats why i dont do it much at all. Other forums i have no problems.
mitch5690

Post by mitch5690 »

Rifles when they got rebuilt got pieces from here and there. This stock got on the rifle in rebuild or was a replacement here possibly.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

scribs87

Post by scribs87 »

Thanks for the photo help!.

I dont know a exact way to tell where it got restocked but
I know the butt plate does not match the stock and it being a early stock just helps me think it was done in finland. Iv personally not even seen a early m28-30 stock besides this one and im sure there uncommon. Id also guess the finnish just used the same buttplate originally on the m28 since im sure it was still ok. If it had the matched buttplate still id be more suspicious.
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

I'm not following....Please explain how a 1940 stamped stock - the very last year of production of a rifle platform that followed M28 production - is considered an early stock?

scribs87 wrote:Thanks for the photo help!.

I dont know a exact way to tell where it got restocked but
I know the butt plate does not match the stock and it being a early stock just helps me think it was done in finland. Iv personally not even seen a early m28-30 stock besides this one and im sure there uncommon. Id also guess the finnish just used the same buttplate originally on the m28 since im sure it was still ok. If it had the matched buttplate still id be more suspicious.
scribs87

Post by scribs87 »

Hmm guess its not early. Figured the lack of the lug near the tip of the stock was early. Guess im wrong again
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

Maybe the stock went back to the arsenal/shop and was stamped there?

Whatever it is: Cool rifle!
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.