Almost made a couple of mistakes today

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Rustynail

Almost made a couple of mistakes today

Post by Rustynail »

At the local gun show I ran across a couple of mosin p/u snipers. First one I held was a 1944 model for $800. I looked at it closely and noticed a couple if things that threw up a red flag. First off none of the numbers matched, second the scope had flat top screws which I heard wasn't correct, third the elevation stop pins were to long and fourth the hallmarks on the scope were to the rear. The second one was a laminated 1945 model for $850. Everything checked out on this rifle as far as components go, the only things that threw me off was I couldn't tell if the scope mount was alloy or metal and the bolt did not have any numbers on it like other M/Ns. Was I wise for passing these up?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Almost made a couple if mistakes today

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I pass all of them up, I never cared for the PU scope mount design or the scope and there are just too many skilled and unskilled fakes out there.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I passed up two at a recent gun show for almost the same reasons...and these were only 600 each.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Rustynail

Post by Rustynail »

I'm wanting one pretty bad and don't mind paying what it's worth, but with a little patience and help from you guys I think I may still be able to find the real deal somewhere out there.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Rustynail wrote:I'm wanting one pretty bad and don't mind paying what it's worth, but with a little patience and help from you guys I think I may still be able to find the real deal somewhere out there.
What about this? http://www.royaltigerimports.com/product-p/mosi0028.htm
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I pass all of them up, I never cared for the PU scope mount design or the scope and there are just too many skilled and unskilled fakes out there.
Pretty much why I don't own one
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Rustynail wrote:At the local gun show I ran across a couple of mosin p/u snipers. First one I held was a 1944 model for $800. I looked at it closely and noticed a couple if things that threw up a red flag. First off none of the numbers matched, second the scope had flat top screws which I heard wasn't correct, third the elevation stop pins were to long and fourth the hallmarks on the scope were to the rear. The second one was a laminated 1945 model for $850. Everything checked out on this rifle as far as components go, the only things that threw me off was I couldn't tell if the scope mount was alloy or metal and the bolt did not have any numbers on it like other M/Ns. Was I wise for passing these up?
You were wise to pass.

If there is any question....pass. There is always another one for sale somewhere.

Flat screws is a new production scope

No numbers on the bolt is usually a "bent bolt made new". Alloy mounts are not "original". If the bluing doesn't "look right" compared to the rest of the rifle is also not a good thing.

Go to Royal Tiger. They still have some "real" refurbished PU snipers in stock.

.......D
Rustynail

Post by Rustynail »

I've been eyeballing those from royal tiger for a while now are they really legit? I get cautious when I buy a gun I can't hold in my hands if you know what I mean.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Rustynail wrote:I've been eyeballing those from royal tiger for a while now are they really legit? I get cautious when I buy a gun I can't hold in my hands if you know what I mean.
Yes they are authentic refurbished M91/30 PU snipers, probably from Tulsky out of Russia. Here's some reading about them. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/sni ... index.html and viewtopic.php?f=36&t=24838