Mosins Drying Up??

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
musketjon

Mosins Drying Up??

Post by musketjon »

I have basically lost interest in my MN's (I know--SHAME on me) and am thinking about selling them off (I'm keeping the M39). Does any one know the story on the rifle supplies? What I mean is, are the supplies (read that as the importations of the rifles) drying up? I really don't need them any more but I'm not going to sell them at "give away prices" either, especially if the sources are drying up. What say you?
Thanks
Jon
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Mosins Drying Up??

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, supply is growing lower and prices going higher for a variety of reasons that were covered in another thread.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Nice looking collection. So why sell? I would keep them personally...
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

I'd keep them, but they're not mine. Maybe keep your favorite 91/30 as well as the M39?
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

You may have lost interest temporarily, but unless you really need the money, why sell? No one knows whether or when these rifles will be available again.
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

It's not worth selling right now. You could make some money, but is it really worth selling a nice collection over? Not unless you need the funds. If the supply continues to dry up these will only increase in value so why not wait a couple years and see where values have gone. Changes are unlikely you'll loose money by waiting, but you could stand to gain quite a bit more.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I just checked and mine are still moist, but I will be keeping an eye on them. :)

The drought may be for real, may be permanent, but I doubt it. I shouldn't be surprised if the Russians still have tens of millions of rifles and some day glasnost will return. It is to the seller's benefit to put some rifles in cold storage until the price goes higher. I would bet, that within a couple of years we will see another "last batch" glut, but at a higher price. I do not think, however, that you will ever be able to buy them cheaper than you can today; that is a historic trend. If you don't pay over current market value, you should still be able to build a descent collection without breaking the bank.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

When the present powers to be disappear and hopefully are replaced by none clones of Madam Chairman things should change a bit and then maybe more rifles will be out there for sale. Right now just a precious few people have disposable surplus income to buy things like Mosins. I mean things are selling on the high end but the volume we saw years ago is just not there and the everyday guy like you and me doesn't have a bunch of cash to throw on collector rifle. There are still holdouts in dealers with stateside supplies they are not letting go of but time and demand may eventually break these holdouts down and they will have to let go what they have squirrelled away. More overseas? Yeah they are there but time will not allow them to hold these assets forever as they need to turn them into cash to survive too. What their alternatives will be if they have a closed market over here? I sure hope it is not scrap them for that value but I suppose it is possible. You know when the Milsurps first came to this country many were bought for metal scrap values by the pound and it was not realized there was a collector market here? I sure hope governments don't make the sellers do that again with restrictive rules world wide. It seems to be heading that way and I sure don't like thinking those thoughts! Either way sooner or later I will be gone and I sure don't envy what you young'uns are going to have to face. I guess I have almost had my run and dang I have sure enjoyed it! Now if there is just enough left for you guys to have fun for 40 years or so? Bill
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Last night I received a very nice 1931 Izhevsk (a refurb, but one of the few makes/dates not in the collection). It took some looking, but I got it at what I consider a reasonable price-- certainly reasonable when compared to some sellers who are asking (though not getting) $300+ for any hex receiver (the prices asked for ex-dragoons are simply ludicrous).

Rationally priced refurbs are still out there, though you have to hunt now. I don't see any reason to pay an inflated price for them-- yet. It looks like a lot of other folks feel the same way. If you actually research the market, I don't think this is an optimal time to sell.

Not that I am going to sell anything. :)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

djbuck1 wrote:
Not that I am going to sell anything. :)
Your last statement that I copied is the one that seems to doom me to buying and not selling much other than Kevin's collection. Indeed if I had the money I would buy most of it. Being that is not the case I am just doomed to buying more than I care to sell I guess. One thing in favor of that is I have run out of room for more safes. Heck of a problem Eh? Your ideas about being an informed and patient buyer are spot on to my way of thinking! Good Luck! Bill :wink:
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

I have 2 and will hold off unless prices drop.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Gunowner99 wrote:I have 2 and will hold off unless prices drop.
You may be holding off for a very long time. It is rare that the prices of surplus firearms go down.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

For what these cost, why would anyone hold off on buying one if you want one and like it? They're still the cheapest milsurp there is and if prices continue to rise then they're also an investment. It's unlikely prices will drop on these even if they start coming back to the US so I say buy away.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

I see your point. I'll just hold my two close to my heart ha ha!
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

TheMaineEvent wrote:For what these cost, why would anyone hold off on buying one if you want one and like it? They're still the cheapest milsurp there is and if prices continue to rise then they're also an investment. It's unlikely prices will drop on these even if they start coming back to the US so I say buy away.
Excellent point. And OP, keep in mind that my somewhat restrained attitude is based on the fact that I already have a lot of these rifles.
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

I stopped by my LGS yesterday and they had just taken a Mosin in on trade. They were selling it for $140, which I think is a good deal on a numbers matching rifle that is in good shape with a nice bore.

Still, I actually had to think about it since I really don't need any more and there was nothing unique about this rifle. Ultimately, I bought it more for what it may be worth in the future than to shoot. It's highly likely that after a good cleaning, and maybe a few rounds down range, that I'll store this rifle away.

I thought to myself that even if becomes worth $250 in the years to come that that's a good return for such a small investment. That's a 65% return on my money. Never thought I'd buy a Mosin thinking of possible financial returns, but I did, and I think I'll buy more if I can find good deals on them as an investment.

How many people have EVER said they were glad they didn't buy Enfields, Garands, Carbines, etc. when they were cheap. The answer is zero and that's because all of those rifles are worth FAR more now then they were then and I believe that Mosins are the last milsurp to be as cheap as they are right now, even are increasing right before our eyes.

I don't think a Mosin will ever go for as much as a Garand, but who's to say that in 10 years they won't be $300 rifles?
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Im sure many of you have gotten the email from Classic with the new mini crates...there is a picture of a warehouse packed with mini crates! I guess they are making a comeback...
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

NLMosin wrote:Im sure many of you have gotten the email from Classic with the new mini crates...there is a picture of a warehouse packed with mini crates! I guess they are making a comeback...
Ah yes, but the price of poker has gone up.....
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Minimum of 3 crates at $1080 each plus shipping...how is anyone gunna "Stack Em Deep and Sell Em Cheap" at those prices? :bonk:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
thughes

Post by thughes »

NLMosin wrote:Minimum of 3 crates at $1080 each plus shipping...how is anyone gunna "Stack Em Deep and Sell Em Cheap" at those prices? :bonk:
I always thought the phrase was "Buy em cheap and stack em deep".