Newbie and thinking about buying a Mosin!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
alankulwicki7

Newbie and thinking about buying a Mosin!

Post by alankulwicki7 »

Hey all,
I've been doing some research on the Mosin Nagant rifles for the past few months. Now I'm thinking about buying one and I'm looking for some advice.

I've got a couple of options in front of me:

1953 Chinese Type 53 Carbine - rifle looks to be in nice shape. Blueing, crown and rifling all good. Stock is somewhat beat up (seems to be common with these) $160

1945 Mosin M44 Carbine - rifle looks to be nice shape. Not sure about particulars but seller is asking $300

1941-1944 Mosin 91/30 - Can pick one from a crate at a local gun shop. $189 (and that includes lane rental for 2 and a gun rental: $45 value).

Just looking for a decent shooting gun for fun target practice. If I was going to buy a rifle for hunting I would spend more money but I just want a decent rifle that shoots fairly cheap ammo. Also looking for a small slice of history.

I have not inspected any of these guns yet. Just been talking with the seller on the two carbines.

Anyone have any advice?
entropy

Re: Newbie and thinking about buying a Mosin!

Post by entropy »

Welcome to the forum. I'd recommend a 91/30 from the shop, or the T53, if with eyes on it, it matches the description. When picking from the crate, pick the one that speaks to you. Hex recievers are nice, older dates are nice, some prefer Tula over Izhevsk arsenal. (Star mark on barrel shank for Tula, Triangle with arrow or hammer and sickle with some scrambled eggs around it for Izhevsk, depending on date.) But maybe a '42 Izhevsk with a 'wartime expedient' finish (rough, tooling marks)
might be the one for you.

Read all the stickys on care and feeding of the Mosin on this forum, Lotta good info there.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
JoeZ

Post by JoeZ »

Agree with Entropy.
I'm really new to this stuff too, but have really become obsessive about it. Once you get one, you'll be interested in more. Then as soon as you shoot it, it's game over. You'll be constantly thinking about what the next one will be, how much you're going to spend on it and how to sneak it in the house if you're married.
My first one (currently only one) is a 1945 M44. I think that was the most common year for them.......I think. Again, I am new and my knowledge is very limited, but 300 seems a bit more than what I'd spend on one out here in Arizona anyway.
I am very cheap and usually dont mind walking away from things from time to time though. Not saying it isn't worth it, just more than I'd put into one personally.
The 91/30 and the 53 both sound good compared to what I'm seeing lately. The 91/30 especially if you get your pick and lane rental for 2. That sounds like its really sweetening the deal if you were going to pay anyway. A friend of mine has a 53 and yes, the stock looks pretty beat up. It is common in all the ones I have personally seen.
The guys on here can tell you much more than I can as far as what to look for and what is more collectable, etc. This a fantastic site and full of information and people who are happy to help you out. A great resource. I'm currently in the hunt for my next one.
Take care.
Joe
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Average price for T53s is around the $200 mark. M44s around $250, and 91/30s about the same. These are average prices over the last few months.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
alankulwicki7

Post by alankulwicki7 »

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to stop in the gun shop this afternoon and see what they have to choose from. I've used their gun range a few times so the extra $45 would come in handy there. Maybe I can find a Hex or Tula in the mix there. Last time I looked I don't recall seeing anything other than 1941-1945 dates but I did not pay attention to the arsenal marking.

I do like the idea of the carbine length, too. The same person is selling the M44 and T53 so I will check those out before I make my decision.

Thanks!
Doug
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

This is one of life's (few) more pleasant choices.

Do lots of reading first to educate yourself about what you are buying. Go to YouTube and watch all of RockIsland1913's Mosin Nagant videos (and the rest later). That's the YouTube nick of Junk Yard Dog.

I have one T53 just to have one. The asking price on that M44 is pretty salty, IMO.

Read up on M91/30 refurbs, and get the rifle that speaks to you. :2cents:
alankulwicki7

Post by alankulwicki7 »

I stopped in the gun shop today and unfortunately they were out of Mosin's. They checked their other locations and they were sold out as well. They might be getting some more but it may be a few weeks.

In the mean time, I think I''m going to look at both of the carbines and see what they look like in person. The Type 53 kind of piques my interested in that it's pretty cheap.

I'll keep you posted! :D

Doug
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

:bonk: I really miss the days of 91/30's under $100.
Adam_9130

Post by Adam_9130 »

If you can I'd get em all!! :D. All would be good choices!! Mosins are getting harder to find, I'd probably start with a 91/30
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Welcome to the forum Alan. What you stated is quite common. You see or hear about a few Mosins, decide to get serious and go check it out and they are gone. I don't think you would go wrong with any of the choices you mentioned so now it is just a matter of finding one. Original finish is important even if you are looking for primarily a shooter. Don't let anyone try to sell you a rifle that has been refinished or modified and especially if they are trying to get top dollar for a rifle that has had it's value reduced. Good luck.
alankulwicki7

Post by alankulwicki7 »

Hey all,

Now there is an M44 in my area. It's missing the cleaning rod and the stock could use a refinish. The seller is asking $200 so I'm going to check it out. I assume that's a pretty fair price?

Thanks!
Doug
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

double post please delete... :oops:
Last edited by NLMosin on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I paid more for my M44 than that but stopped regretting it the instant I shot it. Nothing like 3 foot fireballs!! It is far and away my favorite shooter. Im relatively new to the sport of collecting mosins...and I have 8! Any of those choices would have been ok. Now that your LGS is out of them I'll bet you are thinking the same way. Take a real loooong hard look at the T53's though. Some of them can be pretty rough. Welcome to your addiction! 8-)
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

alankulwicki7 wrote:Hey all,

Now there is an M44 in my area. It's missing the cleaning rod and the stock could use a refinish. The seller is asking $200 so I'm going to check it out. I assume that's a pretty fair price?

Thanks!
Doug
The stock needs NO refinish.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
King Johhny

Post by King Johhny »

I'll have to recommend a 91/30 for you. they are great means of getting into the milsurp community! Welcome to the board!
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

millman wrote:

Thanks!
Doug
The stock needs NO refinish.
+1
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Thanks!
Doug

No, no, no. You do not refinish milsurps no matter what you may see/hear on YouTube or elsewhere. If you do, you are effectively destroying the historical value of the weapon (and in my opinion, it's disrespectful). If appearance is important to you, just hold out for one that looks good. Even with that, the crappy "shellac" the Commies used is about as durable as chocolate coating.

You can pick up a cleaning rod through Liberty Tree, one of this site's sponsors.

If the M44 is mechanically sound and does not look like it was rolled down a hill in a barrel of rocks, then I would say $200 is a good price! :2cents: