Sighting in mosing 1944 carbine but have concerns

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
hokie1999

Sighting in mosing 1944 carbine but have concerns

Post by hokie1999 »

Hello, I am sighting in a 1944 mosin carbine. Lots of left windage error at 25 meters. Corrected this by moving front sight to the left. However, the front sight is now at least 1 mm out of center. That's a lot for 25 meters.

I am near-sighted by five diopters in my right eye, which is my dominant eye. I don't have astigmatism and I can see target ok with glasses.

Does 1 mm offset seem normal to mosin forum?

I want to sight this rifle out to 100 meters.

I have attached photos of barrel, left side of front sight, right side of front site. Rear sight seems to be ok.

Your thoughts?

:) :( :) :( :) :( :) :( :) :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sighting in mosing 1944 carbine but have concerns

Post by millman »

Normal is when you move the sights and it hits where you aim. Don't worry about it sticking out a little.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
hokie1999

Post by hokie1999 »

If it's 1 mm off at 25 meters, my concern is it will be off 4 mm at 100 meters. There isn't 4 mm left on the sight
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You can try shooting with the bayonet fixed. They were designed to shoot this way and it acts like a stabilizer on most, making a tighter group.....SBP....63MN's
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
hokie1999

Post by hokie1999 »

I'll try the bayonet idea.

My concern is that I bought a lemon. The barrel looks straight, see attached photo barrel.jpg Never can tell. Seems to be way off. I expect a slight amount of adjustment, like .1 mm but this is huge; may only get worse with distance.

Are the mosin forum users happy with the accuracy of their rifles? Or has this always been a problem? I'm not bitching, I only paid $250 for this so what do you expect? :)
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

My M44 was terrible. I wasnt allowed to shoot it at my gun club with the bayonet on so I had to adjust the front sight. Heres my M44 front sight now. Below is how it shoots at 25 yards.
M44frontsight.jpg
Wintershoot.jpg
Heres 50 yards. I havent tried it further than that. Dont worry how the front sight looks. No one will ever notice but you...and the targets! :wink:
M44.3.21.2015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
hokie1999

Post by hokie1999 »

tx, I feel better now
thughes

Post by thughes »

Mine shoots @ 10" to the left at 50 yards with the bayo folded, POA with the bayo fixed.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I was thinking maybe it was your eye sight...but nope. Nothing wrong there... :chuckles:
7731.jpg
People live together.
hokie1999

Post by hokie1999 »

@ NL Mosin, my sight is fine with my glasses. I'm as blind as a lizard without them!
hokie1999

Post by hokie1999 »

Here's my cousin. He's far-sighted. Five diopters. Together, we can almost find our way home.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

I shot the M44 today at 200 yards. Heres what it looks like. Not too shabby for an M44.
M44.200yards.jpg
People live together.
Moe

Post by Moe »

Very useful information thank you... so is it the bayonet side mounting on the M44 causing his issue?
"the enemy of my enemy... is my friend"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Moe wrote:Very useful information thank you... so is it the bayonet side mounting on the M44 causing his issue?
Anything that puts pressure on the barrel changes how the barrel vibrates as the bullet passes through it. The vibrations are called barrel harmonics. Changes in the harmonics have a big influence on point of impact. The bayonet open or closed will have different effects on the harmonics.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Every M44/t53 will be at least 3-4" different with bayonet fixed (50 yd). That's a fine looking bore for a 44. I sight all mine with bayonet fixed. :2cents: SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
hokie1999

Post by hokie1999 »

With bayonet deployed, this is result at 25 yards, pretty good:

To do list: Fix elevation.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I do miss the days 15 years ago when one did not shoot straight we bought another instead of worrying about site adjustments and such, so much easier to just pick up another.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

"To do list: fix elevaton"
Yes, maybe, but not based on the results of a 25 yard sight in. I would no adjust anything until I had moved out to 50 yards, then 100. These were designed for the longer distances. Looks like a good shooter.