What are chances of this happening?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
hokie1999

What are chances of this happening?

Post by hokie1999 »

I shot out the right side of the target stand with my mosin 91/30 @ 100m. I said I'd never hit the stand again. Next shot hit it again. Whatever happened to the rod I don't know, it went flying off into the woods. I was supposed to be hitting the target not the stand! :D Guess I'm worse shot than I thought :cry:

First shot

Second shot

You can see where the piece sawed through the head on the target. Still, it was gone, couldn't locate it.
mogunner

Re: What are chances of this happening?

Post by mogunner »

Make bigger stands?
JER

Post by JER »

Buy more... test THEM... lol
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Maybe you can make your frame out of PVC pipe then you can just glue in a new piece when you hit it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Most of them shoot a little off windage wise, get the Elby sight adjustment tool and drift the front sight over until the issue is corrected.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

...yes get a sight tool. I said enough is enough one day at the range and drove my sight over with a punch and hammer. Not the finesse way but probably the way I would have done it knee deep in russian mud with the K98 bullets flying over my head... :?
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

My target stands look like Swiss Cheese, is that not the normal state of affairs?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

I've had to put a few of my stands down. I usually collect all the politician's 'vote for me' signs after voting day if there's no run off. Just staple your target right to it.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Sounds like me and zeebill shooting the bolts off of my swinging 10" gong I have. I buy the bolts in bulk, as I shoot at least one off every range trip!
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Brake Weight wrote:I've had to put a few of my stands down. I usually collect all the politician's 'vote for me' signs after voting day if there's no run off. Just staple your target right to it.
I just usually snag the Dem ones and just use their pics that are on the poster. The fly by night roofers put up nice corrogated plastic poster boards on the telephone poles around here. They make nice target backers as well.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

This makes me feel much better about my bad shooting days. I cut two strait limbs, 1x2 scraps, or bamboo bout 5 ft. long, stick em in the ground and slide a flat cardboard box over them. I've had to change sticks 4-5 times and I;m on my 3rd box. I've spent 99 cents for scotch tape. SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"