Did they ever make any single shot Mosins?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Did they ever make any single shot Mosins?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nope, the Mosin may share a few things with the earlier Berdan rifle, like the hex shape of the receiver, but the Mosin was a new design, it was intended from the start to have a magazine. All of the Mauser 1898 type rifles including our own 1917 Enfield and M1903 rifles as well as the Japanese Arisaka's and type 99's have the magazine entirely contained inside the wood and limited to 5-6 rounds.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

The Poles had a single shot .22 trainer that is shown on the Mosin family tree. It wasn't built until the 50's. It's not really a Mosin though. Wz48
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Yes there are single shot Mosin's used by several countries that have the mag section removed and they are single shot and very few and far between too. There is also a very active argument as to whether they were made by individuals or countries armies too. I am not going to get into that frankly as I don't know the answer. I believe I have one in the collection of my departed buddy Kevin Carney and if we can find it again pictures will be taken. Kevin had a great amount of oddities in his collection and I believe the one he had is the only one I have ever seen other than one a Fredrick, Maryland show many years ago the both Markey and I both thought was a Bubba but later had different thoughts about. I later thought it was a version of the Simonov Trials rifles but really I am not at all sure. Bill

PS Maybe I should have said are attributed to several sources or countries for their is no surety of where they came from or who made them? :?:
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

In a word..........yes.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=20985
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Thank You! Knew somebody here had one just could not remember who? :oops: Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not only did I not remember the rifle, I didn't remember anyone here having one, or the types very existence. Can't remember shit anymore about anything it would seem.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Not only did I not remember the rifle, I didn't remember anyone here having one, or the types very existence. Can't remember shit anymore about anything it would seem.
Jim what did you say your name was again? Duh! Join the group pal! Bill :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What worries me is what I have forgotten that might be important :shock:
Theodore Roosevelt
one finger john

Post by one finger john »

You said it in the first part of the sentence.

C.R.S.

Can't remember shit.

C.R.A.F.T.

Can't remember a fucking thing.

John
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have both conditions,
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The Japanese converted M91 rifles to single shot trainers. I believe that the number of recorded specimens is now nearing 20 units.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

martin08 wrote:The Japanese converted M91 rifles to single shot trainers. I believe that the number of recorded specimens is now nearing 20 units.

Yepper that is another source of them too. I am pretty sure not all of the ones maybe coming from the Com-bloc countries can not be made by individuals alone so some of those countries had to have made some too. I think somewhere at Kevin's there is one too as I am sure he mentioned one to me years ago. We will eventually come across it someday! Bill
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Finns made a few M91 and M27 trainers in single shot .22lr.
Tula also made single shot shotguns from Mosins. Ted's site has a couple of pics of one.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The 52 Izhevsk is the one the I find most interesting. I also wonder about the Balkan shotgun. We're they 12 Guage or some obsolete shotgun chambering?
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

bunkysdad wrote:The 52 Izhevsk is the one the I find most interesting. I also wonder about the Balkan shotgun. We're they 12 Guage or some obsolete shotgun chambering?
I believe they where 410.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That makes sense. Wouldn't want to much destructive firepower to be in the hands of the Civilian peasant population.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I feel as bad as the Boss... I can't remember that post and would/should have :facepalm2: Very cool Miller.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Miller Tyme wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:The 52 Izhevsk is the one the I find most interesting. I also wonder about the Balkan shotgun. We're they 12 Guage or some obsolete shotgun chambering?
I believe they where 410.
I've seen one marked 28 gauge. For some of the larger bores, I believe a Berdan barrel was repurposed.