Can I have suggestions

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
catcracker

Can I have suggestions

Post by catcracker »

I have seen a few rifles lately, that have the long, narrow scopes. (one that comes to mind I seen in an article was a M1903A4 Sniper to give you an idea)I really like the looks of them. I have never really tried one. But I think I would like to get something similar that. But I need suggestions.
What caliber, other than .17, is a good, cheap, plentiful round to look for in a sharp shooting rifle?
I would like to find something made around in the early 60s. And I would like something with nice woodwork. No checkered or deep contours. Plain.
I know this is pretty open ended. But this would get me started. I don't want something with a lot of history, as I am thinking of having some custom woodworking detail done on it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Cat
entropy

Re: Can I have suggestions

Post by entropy »

Depends on the range you want to put gnat's eyes out at. Under 100, .22LR does just fine. Longer, .223. Longer still, .308. Longer still, .300 Win. Mag. Longer still, .338 Lapua Mag.

Get a Rem. 788 in .223,put it in a fresh piece of wood, and you will have satsified all your criteria.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Agreed with the above. 223 is a cheap plentiful round for longer range shooting. I went with 308 because I just enjoy shooting larger calibers.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have an H&R 5200 in .22lr. It shoots dime sized groups at 100 yards. The scope is a Lyman 25x Super Target Spot. These old scopes look neat and work quite well, but they are pricey. Here is a link to pics. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... ?f=8&t=141
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

That is more like the style I am searching for.
Now that the .17 cals are out, would you still choose that caliber?
Great link.
Thanks all for you inputs.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It is just me I am sure, but I would have never picked a .17 anything other than a BB gun. I think the problem you will run into regardless of the caliber you pick, is going to be finding a rifle set up with the barrel mounted blocks that these old scopes require. Most likely it is going to be a gunsmithing proposition. The barrel blocks are available here. http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... ody&c=OPSB and this guy has a selection of different Lyman and Unertl scope. http://unertl.alexweb.net/for_sale.htm They can also be found on ebay and gunbroker.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

If you find one that needs repair I have found these 2 places. http://parsonsscopeservice.com/home.html and http://www.lkscoperepair.com/ .

C. S. Lewis