BUIS AR15 question

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
target

BUIS AR15 question

Post by target »

So since the M1D was a bust I've decided to build the AR that I should of built the first time. But Instead of an A2 style I want a flattop A3 style m4 clone. Now I plan on putting a red dot on it and some BUIS on it as well. I was wondering something about the BUIS though. Does it matter if I get a set that is the same brand or can they be of completely different manufactures? Say the Magpul MBUS rear sight and the YHM hooded flip up front sight gas block :biggrin:

Are both of these the same height as the standard A2 sights? Or am I gonna have a problem? Or should I just get a single rail gas block and order the magpul set?

Thanks fellas.
Spermgewehr

Re: BUIS AR15 question

Post by Spermgewehr »

i would think as long as the front sight can be elevation-adjusted you should be able to zero flip-ups from different manufacturers. I have a fixed front sight and the previous owner had attached a magpul rear sight. I'm sure it would have been fine with any make so long as i adjusted it.
target

Post by target »

I've been doing a bit of reading online and that seems to be the general view on these things. I opted for a different rear sight and went ahead with the integral flip up gas block sight by YHM. I went with the UTG rear sight instead of the magpul because the UTG is made of metal so I like that idea more. Anyway just picked up a reflex sight at the local sporting goods store because they were having a pretty decent sale.

maybe not the best red dot, but that thing is pretty slick :biggrin:
Drago

Post by Drago »

I have a Magpul on the rear and Troy Industries on the front. Shoots fine.
target

Post by target »

Thats good. Can't wait to put mine together. :biggrin:

Del-Ton usually builds a pretty nice rifle, they like to take their time though! :lol: My first one took... almost 2 months... or something to get here, im hoping this one takes a month or less. But for a built to order, assembled, test fired, and head spaced upper... I dont mind waiting for a bit longer :D
target

Post by target »

Picked up an Armalite lower today! Got it for the price they have on their site right from a big box sporting goods store. Went with the Armalite cause I was NOT gonna buy an RGuns lower for that much money.

Just waiting on the upper now! :twisted:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

I don't wanna seem to excitable BUT... DEL-TON SAYS MY ORDER IS IN THE FINAL STAGES OF PROCESSING! :wave: dance5 :hunter: :toast:
target

Post by target »

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

IT SHIPPED! ITS ON ITS WAY!!!!

In other news so you guys actually have something interesting to read. I picked up some magazines from cheaper than dirt. The $11.97 Colt USGI mags. I figured oh cool they still have some green follower USGI mags, the last ones i bought were excellent and brand new! These colts were only a buck more so I figured sweet deal! :shock: Yikes... those are the dirtiest, most worn, ugliest mags I've ever seen. Took em apart and they were packed with carbon fouling and flecks of green paint, spent about 5-10 minutes cleaning each one. They still load up smooth and the spring is still pretty stiff but I need to run them through the rifle once it gets here to make sure they still work. If they do then that's good enough for me! If not... sending em back to CTD to get my cash back.

I wouldn't have a problem with them selling these mags, but what bugs me is that they find a picture of a lightly used near new mag and put it in the catalog and on the website representing these. The four I have look like they went through Vietnam, the Gulf war, then Afghanistan :|

Also picked up a UTG rear folding sight and honestly for the money it feels like a pretty solid piece and I like it a lot. The dial clicks and it feels just like an A2 sight (since that's what it's based on) It is fairly stiff to fold up or down but not bad. The Fact that it's all steel construction is a plus with me, I'd rather save some money on this metal sight then spend the extra 10 bucks on the plastic Magpul (which I've played with, seems ok but still feels cheap, also didn't like the way the aperture was set up) Only negative thing I have to say is it has a pretty high profile when folded down and it will block the reticle dial on my REX reflex sight. Not a HUGE deal but should still be mentioned. I don't plan on messing with the reticle too much because when you change reticles you have to zero the one you just changed to (from what I'm told) so it's not like im gonna be changing reticles on the fly.

Also picked up a few hundred rounds of American Eagle (xm193j) in 30 round boxes on chargers. Looks like pretty clean ammo, I've shot some of their .223 but I have yet to try their Lake City 5.56 (this stuff is 2010 manufacture) Some of the ammo has a few dings and dents, but they are small and I do not think they will be a problem.

Can't wait until it gets here, should be a lot of fun!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Come on now, the picture? How many times have you gone into the fast food joint and ordered some delicious goodies you saw pictured up on the menu, when you get it does it ever look like the food in the picture? :) So long as the feed lips aren't bent, and there are no serious dents in the body then they should work fine.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

Speakin of pictures! Took a picture of the Colt usgi mag (left) and the USGI Texas Industries mag (right). If you look above the bullets you can see to divots worn into the colt mag, I've never seen that before.

Well yeah that's true, but man... couldn't hurt them to be a tiny bit more honest could it? They could of at least put "Fair or USED" next to the product. But anyway, the mag lips ain't bent and besides some wear and tear they look pretty solid.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's cheaper than dirt for you, you never know what you are gonna get. Divots like that come from many years of use.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

If I'm reading the code on the mag right then these ones were made in 2007 and 2008... How fast do our guys go through magazines?

I was talkin to one of my classmates who was over in Afghanistan and he said he never cleaned his mags, a couple guys did... just wasnt something they thought about.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A lot of rounds are fired in training also, they could have been used in Afghanistan, or Parris Island, who knows. Being aluminium they will wear faster than the earlier M14 and M1 carbine mags.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

Well... at least one thing positive comes from them wearing out quick... Surplus is gonna be pretty plentiful!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not if they are worn out when we get them :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

Yeah that's true!

Checked with UPS the kit is either gonna get here tomorrow or friday :shock: that was pretty quick!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The watched for box never arrives :) My Bushmaster kit took three days back in the 90's .
Theodore Roosevelt
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

We soldier on, not because we think we can win, but because we refuse to lose quietly.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you want good condition mags then they will cost money, I spent for the Colt manufactured mags back in the day and they have served me well for many years. It's like buying tools, cheap crap might get you through one or two fix it projects, but good quality tools will be with you for a lifetime.
Theodore Roosevelt