Having PU sniper from AIM or Classic sent to home

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
DanBlue

Having PU sniper from AIM or Classic sent to home

Post by DanBlue »

Hello Everyone,

I hope you all don't judge me too critically and I'm just going to spit it out. I have the resources to go ahead and purchase one of the AIM or Classic PU Mosin snipers, but my fiancé says absolutely not right now.

She simply doesn't understand what a great deal these are, and she thinks I'm full of BS when I tell here it is an investment which we all know it is.

Long and short, how the heck can I use my C&R license to have this rifle delivered to my office when we all know the dealers must ship the items to the address listed on the C&R? My C7&R address is my home, and both my fiancé and I work from home, and she is likely to see the delivery.

Help Please!
"Three can keep a secret, if two of them are dead."
Benjamin Franklin
FineRedMist

Re: Having PU sniper from AIM or Classic sent to home

Post by FineRedMist »

Personally, I think it sounds like a bad idea. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

FineRedMist wrote:Personally, I think it sounds like a bad idea. Not what you want to hear, I'm sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quoted for truth. Be honest with her from the get go. Long term she will understand. It is your life and your decision and if you explain to her why this is important to you, she will understand. My wife didnt understand why I liked guns at first, but within the last year she has bought a couple guns for me and given me the go ahead on a few others because I was honest with her about why certain guns were special or important. Honesty goes a LONG way.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

THAT being said. If you absolutely must go behind her back for whatever reason you have, just have the gun shipped to an ffl. Pick it up at your convenience, pay your minor transfer fee, sneak it in at your convenience.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I am never home so when Aim or any other shipper ships the rifle, I check the tracking number status and then have it held at the UPS facility. I then pick it up there at my convenience.

I also do this with fedex but only after they have tried to make the delivery and left a door tag.
Kollaa kestää
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

You start lying to her, and she won't be your fiance' long. Man up and do it with her knowledge or don't.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
DanBlue

Post by DanBlue »

I agree completely as I have already had 2 thoughtful, non threatning conversations with her as to what these rifles are, and why I believe it is a good idea to purchase one now.

I guess I've allowed my mind to fall into the "I certainly know I'm right about this, and in the long run, it's a benefit to the household so I need to just do this purchase regardless as it's the right thing to do" But I do not want to go behind her back. You all are right, so I plan to try the conversation again with her tonight. She knows what these Mosins are as she is with me when I purchase them, etc...

I just know I'm going to absolutely regret not picking one of these rifles up right now...I'mm pull my best skills together, and try to work it out with her again.

Thanks for the help guys!
Benjamin Franklin
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Starting a relationship off with doing something sneaky is never a good thing. That's not the main problem though. The problem is she's stopping you from doing something you like and that's never a good thing. What she's doing is hindering something that's a passion for you and will lead to resentment in the long run. She should be glad that your hobby isn't holding down a bar stool. Though most of us don't collect as an investment the fact remains it is and a good one. The trend for firearms especially mil-surp firearms because of the finite number of them is they increase in value. At least you'll get a return on your money and not be pissing it down the drain if you were a barfly.
Last edited by WeldonHunter on Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanBlue

Post by DanBlue »

Great points WeldoHunter,

In all fairness, she let me walk out of a store recently with one all matching numbers hex and an all matching 1926 ex dragoon. We had not planned to purchase anything that day, and I just happened upon them and she said go ahead and get them.

As well, you're absolutely right about spending money in a bar as a hobby..Man, I know guys that spend utter fortunes having a few (or more) drinks at a restaurant or bar a few times a week...what a waste.

I have a few non Mosin milsurps I guess I could try to sell..perhaps that's the hand I will play when I broach the subject of purchasing the PU sniper again tonight.

Thanks again for the support, and if anyone has any more philosophical input, I do appreciate it!
Benjamin Franklin
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Butter her up bro. Make dinner. Work your swerve. THEN pop the convo again. She will be much more receptive. Cold calls just dont work.
DanBlue

Post by DanBlue »

Beautifully put Vendetta! I'm certainly glad I posted my "freak out" on this thread...what great therapy. Sometimes, these Mosins can certainly make one behave in ways they normally wouldn't..it's strange!

I'l pull it together, and work on this tonight..

Thanks!
Benjamin Franklin
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Seems much of my collection comes in equal parts, jewelry and Mosins. I still get the sigh and the look. But I get the gun. Sometimes I just have to man up and tell her how it is. I'm getting the gun and you need to deal with it!

Of course she is asleep in another room when I say that, but hey.....
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

DanBlue wrote:Beautifully put Vendetta! I'm certainly glad I posted my "freak out" on this thread...what great therapy. Sometimes, these Mosins can certainly make one behave in ways they normally wouldn't..it's strange!

I'l pull it together, and work on this tonight..

Thanks!
Good luck! Be sure to update us!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I hate to say this because I agree with the others about being upfront and honest about what you are doing ....but...... There is nothing in the law or the BATF restricting anyone from sending that rifle to your work place or any other address. The reason these vendors will only send it to the address listed on your license is, they want to make sure you are the person on the license and not someone who has stolen a copy of your license and having items sent to their address. It is a way for them to confirm who they are dealing with. BATF has wrote a letter on this.

I hate to tell you this option because it is sneaky, but you can apply for a second license with the address of your work on it and BATF will issue a second license. Or, just apply for the address to be changed to your work address (if it is OK with your boss). But you are still being sneaky and deceptive. But, your call......take your time and think about it.

Dolk
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

If you intend on collecting firearms just tell her what you have done, not ask if you can. I have no problem bringing home firearms right through the front door. Neither of my females young and old ever say anything. This works very well with my cats I don't know about wives or girlfriends anymore.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Casador308

Post by Casador308 »

I too just bought my first 91/30 PU sniper for the same reason you are suggesting (Good investment) I believe it will gain in value as time go's on because they are drying up, The people I got mine from (Samco) told me there are no more overseas to be had. The old law of supply and demand. The question is how much are they going to go up in value and how fast??? In your case the question is if it's worth creating a riff with your girl friend/future wife. I'm sure as is the case with most woman, like my own wife they don't understand the hobby, but I believe sometimes it comes down to respect. My wife respects the fact that I love collecting and shooting my guns and she leaves me to enjoy the hobby. Now I also respect the fact that she loves redecorating things around the house. In other words, putting it bluntly, she docent mess with my stuff and I don't mess with hers. I will say this though, I don't go out and buy a gun if my bill's aren't payed. If she is giving you a hard time because of that then think about a bit, if not then she needs to under stand, but attempting to deceive her is the wrong way to go about it, Just my two cent's, good luck.....
DanBlue

Post by DanBlue »

Thanks of fall the insight guys,

Concerning bills, we are always current so there's nothing in me buying the gun that would jepordize anything like that. We WOULD like to go ahead and pay one of our cars of (we only owe about 3k on one, the other is paid for) and she wants to update the kitchen, etc. so these are the issues as far as money.

And I did leave out one small caveat in my posts...The recent two Mosin purchase that she happily allowed me to make, I told her NO MORE GUNS for a while I promise...I'm so happy thank you! We just show each other mutual respect in that we don't purchase anything without discussing with each other first, it's a team effort, and I understand she wants to get the car paid off, etc...So it's a tough argument at present...I did bring her flowers and a nice card last night just a a little unexpected treat....I'm holding off the discussion about the gun until tonight, so I'll keep you posted!
Benjamin Franklin
DanBlue

Post by DanBlue »

OK guys ALL HNADS ON DECK!

I've let her know that I've posted my dilemma on this message board..I told her that in my first post I was asking you guys how best to hide the fact that I've ordered the PU sniper without her knowing about it, and then I've filled her in on how you all have suggested honesty, good advice on how to discuss the purchase with her, etc. She is now tickled pink that you all are responding with advice on how to handle it, etc....She has not read any of the postings, I've just told her about it...So she's interested in hearing the opinions from my last post on how she wants to update the kitchen and pay the car off, etc. and how the gun purchase can fit into her desires for the car and kitchen.

Here's the deal, I need for you guys (If you don't mind) to start posting information on how rare and sought after these PU rifles are, perhaps embelish that you have ordered several because these are the most absolute MUST HAVE authentic Mosin rifles any collector could have, how it is highly unlikely that there will be more coming into the US, any history stuff (everyone is a softy for the historic implications), etc....

Really, you're all milsurp gun lovers, so just be honest....Thanks for any help you can provide as I try to bring this deal across the finish line!

I probably need to erase this post in the event she reads the thread!
Benjamin Franklin
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Its only money. I can make more. Thats the argument I use with my wife. :)
DanBlue

Post by DanBlue »

Please guys! Help me out, I need so more ammo on this! Thanks!
Benjamin Franklin