And so, it has come to this . . .

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
djbuck1

And so, it has come to this . . .

Post by djbuck1 »

I used to enjoy motoring over to Cabela's to look over the racks of M91-30 refurbs. Granted, most of them were 1942 or 1943 Izhevsks, but not infrequently you could find a nice hex receiver, or an ex-sniper, or an ex-Dragoon.

No more.

I suppose that it's the embargo, but the old refurbs are gone.

I dropped in yesterday, and for a moment I started to perk up because I could see two! Then I got closer. A 1942 Izhevsk and a 1930 . . . both with refinished stocks. :very mad: $129 and $179, respectively. I think that perhaps Bubba was aiming at a "just like the original" effect, but he fell badly short. The 1930 (pictured) had been well sanded and was smooth as a baby's bottom. Ditto the 1942. That one just had a darker stain (or whatever).

'Not saying this is the End, or that we won't eventually see more imports. I'm just reporting what is the case right now. Frankly, I'd never seen a Bubba'd M91-30 in Cabela's before, let alone two. It worries me a bit.

I wonder if some poor newb would pick these two up as "beautiful, numbers-matching, non-issued Mosins."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vendetta

Re: And so, it has come to this . . .

Post by Vendetta »

If it makes you feel better, the last time I went in my lgs they had one 91/30 and it had been refinished in solid black piano lacquer and they wanted $229 for it.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Vendetta wrote:If it makes you feel better, the last time I went in my lgs they had one 91/30 and it had been refinished in solid black piano lacquer and they wanted $229 for it.
In the words of Don Corleone, "Infamita."
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

djbuck1 wrote:
Vendetta wrote:If it makes you feel better, the last time I went in my lgs they had one 91/30 and it had been refinished in solid black piano lacquer and they wanted $229 for it.
In the words of Don Corleone, "Infamita."
It was sad. I mean truly sad. They were proud of it. I just had to see it in case my eyes were deceiving me. [emoji35]
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Better hold onto what you got guys. Sell something else if times get tough. Sell the lawn mower! :P
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Been there and seen that ...Cheap Enfields, cheap Garands and M1 carbines, cheap Finn Mosins....cheap Russian Mosins...
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

But hey, that one seems to be sporting a tacticool sling.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis