no new MN but I let one go

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
crwjr

no new MN but I let one go

Post by crwjr »

Hello everyone, I tried to post this earlier, I don't think it posted.
Hopefully some of you remember me, as I have not been on here for a really long time im ashamed to say. To all my old friends I hope everything is well and to the new members I hope to get to know you a little bit.
I have a story for you and hopefully you like it.
I have not done much MN shopping in the last couple years as the prices around here have sky rocketed to unbelievable prices. I had 8 rifles and as of last night I now have 7 :?
It all started with my 16yr old nephew who has been interested in MN for a couple years now. He has held a job (pizza hut) for a year and just filled out his first tax return. My nephew texted me about two days ago and asked if I could sell him one of my 91/30's. He went on to tell me he is getting back around 172 dollars and has a few things he needs and wants to purchase a bit of fishing gear for this spring. He has around 75 dollars left over and was hoping I would sell him one for that amount. I got to thinking that the way prices are I wouldn't take just 75 for one of my prized 91/30's, But I would just give him one and let him use the 75 for some ammo or anything else a 16yr old needs. So I played it out that 75 would not be enough but he could come over and id let him shoot one and we could work out the price later :chuckles: So last night I had my sister and her fam come over for dinner. when they all showed up I took out a 1943 Tula 91/30 that's in avg shape. I then had my son and nephew set up a clay flower pot about 70yrds from where we would be shooting. We then went out in the freezing cold (NE IN) and wind. I showed my nephew who has not shot or handled a MN much, how to load and about the safety. I then shot the first two rounds to demonstrate the kick of the rifle. I missed high of course. I handed the rifle over to my nephew and he took aim off hand and let one round go down range, to my and everyone else's surprise the pot exploded :big shock: My nephew then took a second shot at what was left of the clay pot and missed just high. He then handed the rifle over to my 13 yr old son who shot the last round and hit a piece of the pot. My nephew was now hooked and said that this MN was the best shooting rifle in the world lol I think he is hooked for life now lol. He is still thinking this is not going to be free and he doesn't have enough to buy it from me. we went back inside and ate dinner. afterwards I told my nephew a little history about the gun witch he seemed to be very interested in. A little later on as my sister and her family are about ready to leave I get out that old Tula 91/30 just to torcher my nephew a little more lol. I talked about the markings and the diff arsenals a little bit more. I then handed my nephew the rifle and said "you know this gun is worth way more than what you have to spend". He said ya ill have to save for it. I then said "go ahead and take it, its yours I don't want to take your money, spend it on something else". The look in his face was well worth every sent I spent on the rifle and much, much more. I know he will cherish this rifle for a very very long time. I am so glad I could do something like this for my nephew. just thought I would share this story its pretty close to my heart, and on the plus side I now can look for another Tula 91/30 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
redeuce

Re: no new MN but I let one go

Post by redeuce »

Nice job. Good way to start another legacy.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Great story. Gives me hope for future generations. It was definitely chilly round here last night. (Lafayette) where you at in NE IN? I spent a lot of time in the Fort when my wife and I were dating.
crwjr

Post by crwjr »

Vendetta wrote:Great story. Gives me hope for future generations. It was definitely chilly round here last night. (Lafayette) where you at in NE IN? I spent a lot of time in the Fort when my wife and I were dating.

Thanks I'm from Whitley CO. Just west of FW.
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
crwjr

Post by crwjr »

redeuce wrote:Nice job. Good way to start another legacy.
:thumbsup:
~George Washington
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

crwjr wrote:
Vendetta wrote:Great story. Gives me hope for future generations. It was definitely chilly round here last night. (Lafayette) where you at in NE IN? I spent a lot of time in the Fort when my wife and I were dating.

Thanks I'm from Whitley CO. Just west of FW.
Thats a nice area. I dated a girl from Columbia City so spent some time there.
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

Awesome job and great work on keepin the hobby alive in a youngster!
tpsharp

Post by tpsharp »

Great story. 4-5 years ago I went to a gun show in new Orleans to buy or look for a new rifle. I walked around for a couple of hours then I seen the Mosin Nagant. I didn't know nothing about them, decided to go home. Later that day I told my wife we would go back Sunday to the gun show. I spend another $8.00 and went to the table where they were. I told the seller I wanted 2 of them. He picked out the best 2 he had, 5 minutes later and $200.00 I walked out with them. I gave them to my 2 grandson. 2 weeks ago helping my daughter-in-law move because my son was offshore, when it came time to move the gun safe she unlocked it and to my surprise there is the M44 rifle I gave my grandson. I did not know what kind I even gave them I drooled over the rifle then locked the safe back up. You just never know. I should of would of and could of bought me 1 or 2. :chuckles: :chuckles:
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Great story. That memory will last with your nephew for years.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Excellent :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , and good to see you still around and kicking.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
crwjr

Post by crwjr »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Excellent :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , and good to see you still around and kicking.
Thanks JYD! Hope all is well.
~George Washington
crwjr

Post by crwjr »

tpsharp wrote:Great story. 4-5 years ago I went to a gun show in new Orleans to buy or look for a new rifle. I walked around for a couple of hours then I seen the Mosin Nagant. I didn't know nothing about them, decided to go home. Later that day I told my wife we would go back Sunday to the gun show. I spend another $8.00 and went to the table where they were. I told the seller I wanted 2 of them. He picked out the best 2 he had, 5 minutes later and $200.00 I walked out with them. I gave them to my 2 grandson. 2 weeks ago helping my daughter-in-law move because my son was offshore, when it came time to move the gun safe she unlocked it and to my surprise there is the M44 rifle I gave my grandson. I did not know what kind I even gave them I drooled over the rifle then locked the safe back up. You just never know. I should of would of and could of bought me 1 or 2. :chuckles: :chuckles:
Great story!!
~George Washington
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You can't put a price on sharing guns and history with family. I hope he was able to take the can and buy some cleaning supplies. Teach him about corrosive ammo and the need to prevent it from rusting.
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30