How does one restore the stock on a mosin?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Oldvetteman

Re: How does one restore the stock on a mosin?

Post by Oldvetteman »

gurn wrote:
Oldvetteman wrote:Has anyone ever considered the possibility that leaving one of these rifles in its "original" chipped-shellac, greasy, beat up looking condition will increase the likelihood that Bubba will someday buy it and sporterize it because it is so rough looking? I know this sounds like I am advocating restoration vs. preservation, but I worry that when selecting a rifle to sporterize Bubba might decide to hack up the arsenal-rebuilt, chipped red shellac rifle, rather than choosing the rifle that has had the shellac removed and finished in oil. Lots of ways to look at preservation.

Welcome to the club... First things first... with your name and avatar SHOW US THE PICS OF YOU'R CORVETTE!!!! :attn:
Try this link for a view of my Corvettes.
http://1drv.ms/1AUxHpl
Still trying to figure out how the Mustang got in there!
"To preserve and shoot"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I put that question to a Mustang owning friend of mine who I was just on the horn with- how does a Mustang get into a garage loaded with Corvettes? He tells me that's easy to answer, you had an attack of good taste.. :chuckles: Nice collection, I will have to show that to another friend of mine who is big into Corvette's :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

Wow! Beautiful collection. What are details on some of your cars? We better all watch out if you get the Mosin collecting bug.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Oldvetteman

Post by Oldvetteman »

At the risk of hijacking the thread further I'll just say the cars are (left to right) 1967 Mustang, 1970 Corvette (T-Top, 4 speed), 1958 Corvette (283 c.i., Powerglide) and a 2001 Corvette (6 speed manual). I restored (sorry, "preserved") the three on the the left. I bought the 2001 Corvette new. I've owned the '58 since 1976 and have restored it twice. I do most of my own work to include mechanical, body, paint and interior; pretty much everything except rebuilding engines, chroming bumpers and mounting/balancing tires. I restored several Corvettes through the years that I no long own. The Mustang was the last restoration project that I plan to do. I chose it simply because I wanted to to something other than a fiberglass body. I'm now in the mode of driving and "preserving" these cars. A lot of the time I used to spend on my cars is now spent on my guns, predominantly WWII-era battle rifles, along with casting boolits and reloading for them.

Many of the same "restore vs. preserve" discussions exist in the old car world as exist in the gun world. Everyone has to make their own decisions. I must tell you that when I take my old cars to a car show I get a great deal of satisfaction letting people see what these cars looked like when they were new. Some of their reactions are amazing.

Like the guns I collect, I consider myself to be a caretaker rather than an owner of the old cars. One day they will be passed on and I want them to be preserved the best way I know how.
"To preserve and shoot"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I am shocked. Is that what a garage floor it supposed to be like? I built a shop for my race cars and before it was finished you couldn't see all of the floor. Nice collection, I had a 69 Stingray with matching LT 1 motor. I had a 65 Mustang too.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Very nice looking garage. My Dad had a 69 427 tri power Stingray and I loved that car. Theres just something about a vette.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Vendetta wrote:Very nice looking garage. My Dad had a 69 427 tri power Stingray and I loved that car. Theres just something about a vette.
Wife want's one... That's for sure. She says I should sell of my guns to buy her one far too often. :shock: :big shock:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
gurn

Post by gurn »

Rongo wrote:
Vendetta wrote:Very nice looking garage. My Dad had a 69 427 tri power Stingray and I loved that car. Theres just something about a vette.
Wife want's one... That's for sure. She says I should sell of my guns to buy her one far too often. :shock: :big shock:

Mine too but she wants a 1963 Split Window Vette. :facepalm2:
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

gurn wrote:
Rongo wrote:

Ouch. Lol
gurn

Post by gurn »

Vendetta wrote:
gurn wrote:
Rongo wrote:

Ouch. Lol

Oh yeah, in Daytona Blue :bwink:
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

It appears we scared OP off with our shitstorm. Are we bad people? [emoji1]
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Yes you are. Either more cowbells, or more guns. I would prefer more guns
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Oldvetteman

Post by Oldvetteman »

Perhaps he got tired of Corvette discussions. I feel like I hijacked the thread but I was only answering questions.... :)
"To preserve and shoot"
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

jones0430 wrote:Yes you are. Either more cowbells, or more guns. I would prefer more guns
I got a fever!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Oldvetteman wrote:Perhaps he got tired of Corvette discussions. I feel like I hijacked the thread but I was only answering questions.... :)
No, I don't think so. We get a lot of one time question posts. Usually they involve something they could have learned or avoided by reading the forum rules. The animals in this zoo get riled up about certain subjects.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Longcolt44 wrote:
Oldvetteman wrote:Perhaps he got tired of Corvette discussions. I feel like I hijacked the thread but I was only answering questions.... :)
No, I don't think so. We get a lot of one time question posts. Usually they involve something they could have learned or avoided by reading the forum rules. The animals in this zoo get riled up about certain subjects.
Its a good zoo. Bubbas picture is on the do not allow sign at the entrance. [emoji2]
gurn

Post by gurn »

Longcolt44 wrote:

Yeah, like cars and food. Bacon or :spam2: in particular. :BBQ2: :BBQ:
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I just finished cleanig an SKS that had been overpacked with cosmoline by removing the wood parts and spraying the metal with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber Synthetic Firearm Cleaner ,then using paper towels and Q-Tips to remove the grease. This gun was so badly packed with grease it would never have functioned without a good cleaning. The I used REM Oil with TEFLON to finish the metal parts. I wiped off the wood ,put it in a plastic bag. and left it in a hot attic in the summer for a month to get the rest of the cosmoline out. After more paper towels it come clean. I still bleeds a lttle cosmo after shooting on a hot day,but a wipe down gets that. Before I knew better I would have stripped it and added a stain finish, But I think that is a bad idea now, They look better just left natrural.Each little nick and scratch was put there by someone who depended on that gun, I even have a T53 carbine with the Chinese soldier's name carved into the stock with a small heart.JGC