Comparing the CZ-82 and the Tokarev

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
SteveC

Comparing the CZ-82 and the Tokarev

Post by SteveC »

What are your opinions on the CZ-82 and the Romanian Tokarev? I'm assuming that the 7.62 x 25 packs alot more punch that the 9x18? What about accuracy and feel and stuff like that? Which do you like best?

Thanks,
Steve
desdem12

Re: Comparing the CZ-82 and the Tokarev

Post by desdem12 »

The 9x18 mak punches pretty good too. I do like the tok better for shooting and i am not to sure which is more accurate but i would suspect the tokarev. The little P64 i have kicks pretty good though. The tokarevs feel and look like a 1911 and are easy to take apart for cleaning. :D :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

I like the CZ82 better than the Yugo Tok I sold awhile back. Good commercial ammo from the US and Europe is available readily. The 82
disassemble almost identical to a Makarov. The polygonal barrel which looks nearly smooth bore accelerates MV over standard rifling.

The selection of some very hot ammo like the LVE ammo coming in now is impressive. The Hornady Custom with XTP HP bullets and the
Hornady Critical Defense are very impressive. And, the reduced size of the CZ lends itself to Concealed Carry. My wife loves hers.
Three safety features for you to choose from for a CCW. Trigger pull, well I can safely say the CZ82 is second to none on any Military issue pistol I have tried out to date. Our 82's shoot better groups than any of our full size or sub compact pistols. And, we are both duffers when it comes to accuracy and good shooting
form. Of the 8 different pistols I own and shoot at times, the CZ82 instantly became my favorite. If I could only own one pistol right now, I would sell my $500 to $600 or more ones and keep the CZ82. :biggrin:
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
lonesome

Post by lonesome »

My CZ-82 can out shoot my Tokarev all day long. The Tokarev round packs more punch and clocks in around 1400fps, but the 9x18 is punchy as well. I would say the CZ is just a better weapon all around, though. Double stack magazine holding 15 rounds, polygonal rifling making it very accurate, the sights are much better, it feels better. Everything about it is better if you ask me. Ammo is cheap as well. Not as cheap as surplus Tokarev, but that is getting harder to find these days. The Tokarev is versatile, I converted mine to 9mm by buying a 9mm barrel for it, so I can shoot 9mm or 7.62x25 in the time it takes me to field strip it and change barrels. That's a nice feature and doesn't cost a lot to do. If I had a choice between the two, I would definitely go for the CZ first. You won't be disappointed.
lonesome

Post by lonesome »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:Of the 8 different pistols I own and shoot at times, the CZ82 instantly became my favorite. If I could only own one pistol right now, I would sell my $500 to $600 or more ones and keep the CZ82. :biggrin:
I agree completely!!
Ranger1968

Post by Ranger1968 »

They are completely different platforms; the Tokarev is a more classic single action auto in the 1911/Browing 1903 mold, while the CZ-82 is a much more modern pistol, with multiple saftey features and ambidestous controls...

As far as power, the 7.62x 25 round is quite a bit more powerful than the 9x18; For example, commerical 85 grain 7.62x25 posts at 1,722 feet per second and 560 ft lbs of energy, while the 95 grain 9x18 comes in at around 1,000 feet per second and 211 ft lbs;

While that sounds pretty good, what that means in real life is that the x25 often suffers from over penetration.

As far as which pistol to buy, it depends; for a range gun, the Tokarevs are rock solid, and a lot of fun; I shoot mine quite a bit, at extended ranges, and it's a lot of fun.

For a carry gun, though, it's single action and lack of a good saftey that would allow cocked and locked carry , along with the overpenetration issues, puts it behind the CZ, which can be safely carried with a loaded chamber and the manual safety off, hammer down;

If I had to choose, I would go with the CZ, or better yet, get both. 8-)
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

As far as ammo availability and cost, the 9 x 18 is the best bet. I own four pistols in 9 x 18; Russian Makarov, Hungarian PA63, Polish P64 and my favorite, the Czech CZ82. The caliber is between the .380 ACP and 9 x 19 (Luger) in terms of power. The surplus handgun choices are much better in this caliber vs. the Tokarev. If you ever handload, the 9 x 18 should be a bit cheaper in terms of brass and bullets. There is plentiful surplus and new commercial ammo from a variety of sources.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
avenger

Post by avenger »

You guys are kinda making me want a tokarev...they seem pretty darn cool...
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
knssrtrd

Post by knssrtrd »

You could buy both then you have those bases covered.
avenger

Post by avenger »

I was looking at tokarevs on Jgsales..i think i want one instead of a 357 for now..cheaper...which is best..polish romanian or yugo..and why? :mrgreen:

EDIT: Or this... http://www.jgsales.com/polish-p64-9x18- ... -5863.html ...the ammo for it is pretty reasonable as well...im looking for a cheapo pistol / fun gun for range/ housegun
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

avenger wrote:I was looking at tokarevs on Jgsales..i think i want one instead of a 357 for now..cheaper...which is best..polish romanian or yugo..and why? :mrgreen:

EDIT: Or this... http://www.jgsales.com/polish-p64-9x18- ... -5863.html ...the ammo for it is pretty reasonable as well...im looking for a cheapo pistol / fun gun for range/ housegun
Tokarev pistols, Polish seem to be the hardest to get for a while, so it's possibly a little rarer. Yugo, holds an extra round in the mag which can be hard to find, so you just order extras with the pistol. Also, the Yugo has a cool crest on the slide. The Romanian, is kinda like the base model Tokarev pistol. I have a Yugo and Romanian, both are the same basic design with little differences, same as with the Polish Tok.
Both function great, about equal accuracy, is one better than the other, NAH, to me they are both equally fun.. :thumbsup:

Don't know about a P64 house gun, but after a spring change it's a fun pistol, pretty accurate too. Before the Wolff spring kit change in mine, it would sting the web of my hand shooting it. It still has a little bite, but no worse than some other things I shoot. And the double action trigger, about 25lbs of pull :big shock: Single action however is great. All in all, the P64 is a great fun pistol, just needs a little tweaking, I wouldn't sell mine.

With "enough practice", thinking about it, yea, it would be all right for a home weapon.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
avenger

Post by avenger »

On the tokarev...which one has the best safety..as ive heard some are a joke..and some are not? IVe also heard marakov...which is cool as well, cheaper ammo as well ;)
-John
Ranger1968

Post by Ranger1968 »

As far as the Tokarevs go, I have 2 romanians and two Yugos; I find the Yugos to be slightly nicer pistols in terms of fit, finish, build quality and overall condition; they also put the safety at the top rear of the frame, where it is a little more familar to most people postion -wise......Know that the Tokarev safeties are add-on's, and are notoriously unreliable, in terms of both working as a safety and in terms of jamming up the works; a lot of Tok owners removed them completely and plug the holes......

Makarovs are nice pistols, but I would go with the CZ-82; to a certian extent, it is a more modern version of the Makarov, with ambidextrous magazine releases, and safties, better sights, and a 12 round magazine; If you are looking at this for a carry gun, the mag release postion on the 82 , up along the frame, and on both sides, is far superior to the older European style heel release that the Makaorv uses.

These other guys are absolutely right about ammo; the 9x18 has a lot of varieties available commerically, including a pretty good jhp defensive round from Hornady; also, if you relaod, you can trim the 9x19 brass to load 9x18.....As for the 7.62 x25, you are limited to what surplus is available (and that has been thinning out) , or the Wolf Gold Line; I have shot and chrono'ed the wolf, and it is really nice, very hot stuff; all of the rounds I measured were between 1,715 and 1,720 feet per second.....
avenger

Post by avenger »

I looked up a CZ-82..fires the cheap cartridge..nice..i defiantly think that is the one i want :D
-John
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

I have a Ruger P90, Romanian Tokarev, Bulgarian Makarov, CZ82 and some other pistols. All the named pistols are accurate. The CZ82 and the Makarov are the most accurate of the lot. The CZ feels the best. I have had some trouble feeding the Silver Bear hollowpoints in the CZ.. Has anyone shot the Hornady through theirs? I would love to use the CZ as my conceal when I get a permit someday.
I also like the Tokarev so buy both. The are different.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I polished the feed ramp on both of my CZ 82s, really helped with feeding issues with Silver Bear HP ammo.

I have a box of the Hornady ammo, but can''t bring myself to shoot it at paper for the price. :oops:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

What's up with the rifling in the CZ barrel? I've heard that it limits the ammo you can shoot in it. I want one but drat everytime I go looking something else grabs my attention.

Also is the supply starting to dry up, I know Wiedners has them.
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

A CZ82 has polygonal rifling. It is to add extra velocity. ACZ82 eats anything as far as feeding unless you have a rough feed ramp. If so, just polish it. The new LVE ammo, basically Russian Military is back now. $175 per 1000 from Classic.

I have two CZ82's from Wideners. Two mags per gun, holster, lanyard, and cleaning rod. I and wife each carry one everyday. 9x18 Hornady XTP HP and 5 of the LVE in each 12 round mag. My favorite of all pistols now.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

In the Makarov round I have a Hungarian PA-63 and I was way better at shooting it than I ever expected. I didn't know just how much I was going to like the aluminum frame but now I have no worries. The 9x18 Mak round is excellent and alot of fun. I own a Chech CZ52 and I had looked for one for quite some time. The 7.62x25 is a power house and Anyone who likes shooting and milsurps should have something that fires this round. The CZ52 is so much fun to shoot that I would love to get a Tokarev pistol at some point. Having both is the best way to go. Which one over the other? Which ever deal you find first that you are happy with. 8-)