Finn M39 & Hungarian M44

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
docbob

Finn M39 & Hungarian M44

Post by docbob »

Back from visit to LGS today and actually got to look over something besides the '43 & '44 refurbished Mosins that everyone has. The first, a Finnish 1944 M39 in average condition........no bluing, decent but not great bore, mismatched numbers on front sight/top of barrel. A Sako in a wartime stock (somewhat rough), stamped as usual and a Sako marked cocking piece. It had a greenish sling with no markings. 400 bucks and no wiggle room. Passed.
The Hungarian M44 looked as good as the Polish ones but didn't have a matching bolt. 275 bucks. Passed. Just thought I'd let You all hear what I spotted in Nebraska. Oh well, it was fun looking.

Doc
martin08

Re: Finn M39 & Hungarian M44

Post by martin08 »

Pics or it didn't happen.

Oh. Yeah. It didn't happen! :D

I think both choices were wise.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

You don't have to take pictures to please me!! :lol: Passing at those prices for those conditions was the right move in my book too! Bill :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah, they were mighty proud of what they had!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Wait a month or so, if they are still there then make an offer again. I don't know how easy it is to find Mosins in person were you are, or if you have a C&R FFL. If you are unlikely to ever see such rifles as these again then buy them. Overpriced a bit, but not by that much, and time has a way of erasing overpayments as values climb. I overpaid for things sometimes back in the happy time if it was something hard to find that I just had to have, today these overpayments would sound as if I made a hell of a good score by comparison with todays prices. If it was something I had to have then I didn't care what I paid, I was younger, times were good, money was easy to come by, guns not always.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Wait a month or so, if they are still there then make an offer again. I don't know how easy it is to find Mosins in person were you are, or if you have a C&R FFL. If you are unlikely to ever see such rifles as these again then buy them. Overpriced a bit, but not by that much, and time has a way of erasing overpayments as values climb. I overpaid for things sometimes back in the happy time if it was something hard to find that I just had to have, today these overpayments would sound as if I made a hell of a good score by comparison with todays prices. If it was something I had to have then I didn't care what I paid, I was younger, times were good, money was easy to come by, guns not always.
Sage advice here.
docbob

Post by docbob »

They would have to come down quite a bit for me to be interested. I have a very nice 1943 Sako M39 that shoots great and has probably 90 % blue. I gave 275 for it, a replica bayonet and the book by Doug Bowser a couple of years ago. But as I stated before, it was something to look at besides the usual, common Russian refurb. There seems to be a fairly good showing of interesting Mosins in this part of the country. They just appear from time to time when one isn't really looking that hard for them.
Just my two cents.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I remember when that worn blue M39 would have been $45, I bought one like it for $125 back in the last decade, today I would have to pay at least $300 or more for the same rifle, tomorrow?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I remember when that worn blue M39 would have been $45, I bought one like it for $125 back in the last decade, today I would have to pay at least $300 or more for the same rifle, tomorrow?
I agree with that. When m39s pop up in my neck of the woods they are $350 plus. And you gotta wade through a sea of bubba to find them.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

300.00 M39's are getting thin on the ground, and 350.00 seem to be too. It looks like 400 is becoming the new 300.