Yugo SKS M59

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Jbob

Yugo SKS M59

Post by Jbob »

Yugo SKS M59, this one's been in the safe a long time, unissued and has never been fired.
Are they dated ? Can I get a ballpark figure on a price please ?
Thanks!
Greasemonkey

Re: Yugo SKS M59

Post by Greasemonkey »

Jbob wrote:Yugo SKS M59, this one's been in the safe a long time, unissued and has never been fired.
Are they dated ? Can I get a ballpark figure on a price please ?
Thanks!
Unissued, check the butt stock for a 1.TRZ stamp, it's entirely possible it's a refurb. Many were, some however were not.
Hard to price without knowing more, is it a "B" or "C" serial suffix, one is slightly more uncommon and typically carries a slight premium. Or if your really lucky, maybe it does not have a serial suffix.

Best ball park figure I can offer for the most common variant, the "C" suffix, 375 to 425/450ish range. A "B" suffix may carry a 50-75 dollar or more premium, it's very uncommon to see one for sale, few were made when compared with the "C" series. A no suffix serial, well, the sky is the limit on this one, these are even rarer, even less of these exist.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

A true M59 or does it have the grenade launcher? True M59s don't come up much, they still only go for $350ish but the ones I've seen have never been unissued. Strange they don't sell for more with how rarely they come around. I see more Albanian SKSs on gunbroker than M59s. Southern Ohio gun has been selling them for $340. Unissued M59/66s pop up on gunbroker all the time, they go for around $400-600.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

A while back, Samco sold a small batch of unissued M59 rifles, they also didn't sport a refurb mark. These are the higher priced M59s.

An M59 sold recently for $1526, it's a long barreled M59, this is a very rare variant http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =456122743
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

I wouldn't sell a really nice matching M59 for less than $450 right now. They are not very common actually. Only about 35,000
give or take a few were ever built. Perhaps up around 40,000, but no one really knows for sure. Many were worn out and scrapped. Or, converted to M59/66 in 1967. Fact or fiction, not sure. But I have read a few times in the past that only 15,000 to 20,000 came here. After used in the Bosnian Wars.

I have owned quite a few of these in the past, and never saw an unissued one. Samco is the one place that did have a few. But, even those I suspect were perhaps a total rebuild based on the receiver only. And they got those in in later years.
I sold most, but none for less than $450 plus shipping. I have sent a few from coast to coast at that price for less than they could find local in any gun store. At least a nice M59.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
amx4080

Post by amx4080 »

There are still some bargains to be found, but between $200-$300 is typical on line (GunStockMarket Yugo M50 sales data). There are not as many M59's as the M59/66, so that number is a range and specific features and condition drive the price.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Your correct, but going through and looking at those 10 auctions, we get

5 have no bayonet, an almost impossible replacement item to find, an M59 uses a dull finish greyish/non plated bayonet, all 5 rifles state a heavily worn pitted bore.

2 are mislisted as M59s, these were actually M59/66 rifles

1 is a M59/66 like Wideners sold as a M59, it's a M59/66 with the launcher cut off

1 is a reported ex-sniper M59 with the mounts for a ZRAK scope

Leaving one complete M59 out of the whole bunch, and the stock looks refinished or poly coated on it.

This is an instance where auction pricing won't give you a fair representation of market value.

You have to really weed through every listing and watch what you are getting and find the best balance of price and quality. Like these auctions show, finding a complete, unaltered specimen is difficult and why they carry a higher price tag like Old Outlaw stated than what is shown here.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

+1. That is exactly what I see frequently from those sales data/listing search engines. Very few true M59 rifles show up.
Many inaccurate descriptions running around. Many do not actually even know what an M59 really is.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!