Ammunition Question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
FR0STY54R

Ammunition Question

Post by FR0STY54R »

Saw some surplus spam cans, the typical Light Ball with steel core, or "LPS". Most were Soviet but there was at least one Bulgarian can in the mix.

I noticed that despite seemingly being the same ammunition, some of the cans lacked the silver color code strip of paint. Is there a difference in the silver tipped ammunition vs the non silver tipped ? Did some ammunition factories not use the color code ?
Shoot like Voroshilov !
WeldonHunter

Re: Ammunition Question

Post by WeldonHunter »

FR0STY54R wrote:Saw some surplus spam cans, the typical Light Ball with steel core, or "LPS". Most were Soviet but there was at least one Bulgarian can in the mix.

I noticed that despite seemingly being the same ammunition, some of the cans lacked the silver color code strip of paint. Is there a difference in the silver tipped ammunition vs the non silver tipped ? Did some ammunition factories not use the color code ?

The silver color coding was simply an identifier that was dropped sometime in the 80's if I remember correctly. Not sure about the exact date. But all steel core or LPS is the same painted or not with the only slight differences in manufacturer depending on what factory and country it was made in. Most of this was being made under soviet control before the wall fell.
FR0STY54R

Re: Ammunition Question

Post by FR0STY54R »

WeldonHunter wrote:
FR0STY54R wrote:Saw some surplus spam cans, the typical Light Ball with steel core, or "LPS". Most were Soviet but there was at least one Bulgarian can in the mix.

The silver color coding was simply an identifier that was dropped sometime in the 80's if I remember correctly. Not sure about the exact date. But all steel core or LPS is the same painted or not with the only slight differences in manufacturer depending on what factory and country it was made in. Most of this was being made under soviet control before the wall fell.
Ahh, ok, thanks !
Shoot like Voroshilov !