New to me rifle

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tpsharp

New to me rifle

Post by tpsharp »

I just purchased my new Mosin Nagant from someone with 400 rounds of ammo. There is a lot to learn about this rifle. With a little help maybe I know the history.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: New to me rifle

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, well, if you are going to start collecting M91/30 Mosin's then what better year than 1930. Izhevsk manufacture, post WW2 Soviet refurbished, that's about all I can tell you from the picture.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tpsharp

Post by tpsharp »

Thanks for the info. Here is another picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Nice condition. Bolt was stamped to match the barrel SN during refurb. More photos needed. We love photos. :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
tpsharp

Post by tpsharp »

More Pictures.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the forum. Lots of real good reading here. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/ This in particular is good to know. It explains a lot about the rifles being sold from vendors these days and applies to the one you posted. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/ref ... index.html
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

Nice rifle, manufactured at the Izhevsk arsenal in 1930. Refurbished after the war at the 1st GRAU facility in Balakliia Ukraine. Both your stock and your rifle have the Balakliia arsenal box with diagonal slash insignia.

Check to see if your rifle is an Ex Dragoon by looking under the rear sight base for a small gap !
Shoot like Voroshilov !
tpsharp

Post by tpsharp »

Here is another photo of the rear sight.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Looking at the rear sight mount, I suspect you have an ex-dragoon.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
tpsharp

Post by tpsharp »

Is that a good thing or bad?
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

tpsharp wrote:Is that a good thing or bad?
That is a good thing, just more added history. Your rifle started life as a M1891 Dragoon. A rifle originally designed for mounted infantry. It was likely brought to M1891-30 configuration during the post war refurbishment process.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
tommyd123

Post by tommyd123 »

Hey guys. ..I have some questions for ya. .. it's this a triple stamped? Image