Mosin magazines

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
rmkeyjr

Mosin magazines

Post by rmkeyjr »

]I own at least a dozen MNs and all are simple, rugged and well made except for the magazines. None will feed reliably after the first round or two. The mag springs are the main flaw of the MNs. All of them "feel" weak. I am sure if the springs were stronger feeding would be much less of an issue even with the rimmed cartridges. The problem is that while I can locate used magazines they are also old and weak. (Gun Parts used to be Numrich) Does anyone have a fix for this?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Mosin magazines

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have over 100, every one of them will feed the five rounds without issue. Balkan, Russian, American, Finn, Polish, Romanian, Hungarian, North Vietnamese/Chinese, Spanish Civil War, and unknown old Mosins, all feed well. Likely your problem is with the interrupter /ejector assembly being out of adjustment.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rmkeyjr

Post by rmkeyjr »

Well 100 is incredible. I have around 12 excluding m-39s. I have all American and European except France. My Mosins are all in good shape but not collectors. I will likely convert on to the archangel set up
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

I am by no means an expert, but of the few mosins i own only one had problems feeding rounds. A good cleaning did the trick !.
I think the ancient grease had gummed stuff up.
Personally, i used a ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and that melted most of the cosmoline off ( on the metal pieces... not the wood !)
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

Never had a problem with mine.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

rmkeyjr wrote:Well 100 is incredible. I have around 12 excluding m-39s. I have all American and European except France. My Mosins are all in good shape but not collectors. I will likely convert on to the archangel set up
Why? All surplus rifles are collectible especially here. Leave them in the original stocks. They like there better.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

rmkeyjr wrote:Well 100 is incredible. I have around 12 excluding m-39s. I have all American and European except France. My Mosins are all in good shape but not collectors. I will likely convert on to the archangel set up
How will the archangel setup fix a problem with the magazine not feeding properly?
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

There is no problem with switching into a Archangel stock as it is completely reversible, but if you start messing with any of the metal parts like sights or metal finishing then all you'll have is another ruined collectible milsurp like so many already out there in Facebook Land. The Archangel has it's own magazine, to answer the question above. It does not resolve the interrupter problem that JYD correctly referred to above.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

No comment on the Archangel set up.

12 of 12 Mosins not feeding correctly is not a Mosin problem. I have "just a few" too and have never experienced this issue. There is something else going on here. I am wondering if when you cleaned them (you cleaned and inspected them right?) you didn't reassemble correctly. Is the interrupter/ejector inserted backwards in the slot? Did you totally disassemble the magazines and maybe not reassemble correctly? I totally clean the magazines along with the rest of the rifle.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have over 500 Mosins and the major feed problems I have hit many years ago were all solved by switching to only brass cased ammo and making sure they mags are cleaned and the extractors and interrupters are fresh and smooth working.

So you want to switch to a Archangel set up huh? Well sacrilege as it may seem I am setting one up right now out of a parts collection for me and a friend to test and use. I figured maybe an hour and I would be done. First off the action dam near had to be pounded down into the stock and if you read the directions which I do they say simply that harder working is better than lose? Yeah sure! Now after setting up about a dozen Mosin action in ABS and similar stocks they all tend to one simple failure or short coming. The stocks and recoil lug hole are never parallel to the barrel channels. They almost always cant the rifle left or right in the stock and stop you short of floating the barrel back to the action screw which they point out is a big advantage. In the Archangel stock they give you and adjustable pressure point to put in whatever slot in the stock you want to tune the rifle. They point out that you should not use this till later after you have shot the rifle full floated without out it in place. Now how the heck are you supposed to do that if the action is canted to the left and hit the barrel channel heavily? So you now have to put the pressure point in there to get the alignment built in problem fixed so you never know how it would shoot full floated.

So I guess you have that solved with the pressure point device in place and tightened down? Who knows till I shoot the thing? Next hurdle so far was the mag takes an act of God to get in place, after you bang it real hard to get it in place and nurse your now sore hand. Try and get it out of there! It took quite a bit of hassle to get the 10 round mag which was $25 extra out so I figured it was the mag and tried the stock 5 round one. It was worse and I figured that I missed something in the directions and went back to reading. Again I saw that tight is better than lose statement! My thought was how long will I use this plastic mag before lose is now here and I have a real problem? I guess that will come later. I searched and filed and fitted for about an hour on both mags and finally figured the mags hit the sear bolt and the head will have to be turned down. It was now about 2 and 1/2 hours in and I was going to bed as it was midnight.

What do I see ahead? Well first off if you think the mag feed spring that is standard on the Mosin is weak you ought to feel how strong the one is in the provided brand new mags. Then you ought to know they also move very haltingly and hang up real easy when they are moved with your fingers. Why do I hear that tight is better being repeated? So you go ahead and put out the money for an Archangel stock if you want to but at this point I really wonder how much of an improvement this will be versus a hassle? Oh by the way the dang thing is very heavy which is explained by they have to be to put up with the strength of the Mosin ammo! Must be Dang good wood them Russians and Finn's got huh? Got one thing going for me I didn't pay for this stock and mag and I paid cost for it too so it is barely over $100 but then that is dang near wjhat a refurb costs if you know the right people or buy used. Looks cool though! But so did an Edsal!!! :lol: :lol: Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It is possible for the Mosin to eat steel case ammo, I rarely had brass case surplus 7.62x54r, when I did I hoarded it, steel case ammo accounted for 10's of thousands of rounds I fired back in the days of cheap surplus ammo. I never had problems with steel case so long as I kept the chambers clean, and the rifle properly adjusted ( interrupter) Steel case is something pretty much exclusive to the Mosins in my collection, the US milsurps of course eat brass case , the Mauser's, Arisakas, all the rest brass. The commies liked the idea of cheap steel cases, and used them more than anyone except the Germans during WW2.

Don't knock the Edsel, they were little more than a Ford/Mercury with a new skin, and some new gizmo's , I do a lot of business with Edsel owners needing parts, I still have four Edsels on the lot. Edsel had the misfortune to be introduced during a recession, they had some odd styling features in '58, but became more Ford looking by '60. The '58 Edsel horse collar grill is surprisingly popular with collectors, and " man cave" decorators who want to hang them up on the wall. Edsel had some big engines, and some interesting body styles such as the '58 Bermuda wagon, and hey, what about Mercury's turnpike cruiser?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

zeebill wrote:
I have over 500 Mosins...
You don't know how good that makes me feel :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

qz2026 wrote:
zeebill wrote:
You in the will? If so remember we will be monitoring Bills health, no " helping" things along, that would be dirty pool.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
qz2026 wrote:
zeebill wrote:
You in the will? If so remember we will be monitoring Bills health, no " helping" things along, that would be dirty pool.
Well, that's not exactly what I meant... But, now that you mention it... hummmm....

Nope, the last time I tried to get in a will (an unnamed Owner/Founder...) he shot back with the fact that he would be buried with his rifles. I have, since, had no more thoughts on that subject other than, it's gonna have to be a pretty big hole. And, he will have to worry about grave robbers... :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bunker, deep bunker, traps and curses, nasty surprises, skull's piling up at the bottom of spike filled pits.....death loves company :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Bunker, deep bunker, traps and curses, nasty surprises, skull's piling up at the bottom of spike filled pits.....death loves company :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
You must know this guy... :D
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

I have had some issues with the mosin magazine as well, one of mine will simply not work unless you're sure to load the rounds in such a way that they dont rim lock with each other, I suppose it all comes down to what condition your interrupter is in.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Hey I liked the Edsel! It was the rest of the world that didn't think much of it. My Uncle had a Mercury Turnpike Cruiser and it ate gas at about an 8 MPG rate but man when it got rolling 100 MPH came and went rapidly. That was one of my Uncle's Demo cars he bought used with about 2,000 miles on it. Later found out it was about two sizes up on the Carb jets and had a kind of special distributor in it. Well I guess I will try a bit of time on the Archangel later tomorrow. I may have another safe coming too so the bunker may have to get bigger again. :D Bill OH And Fly Eagles Fly! America's team bights the dust again! :P
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

bunkysdad wrote:There is no problem with switching into a Archangel stock as it is completely reversible, but if you start messing with any of the metal parts like sights or metal finishing then all you'll have is another ruined collectible milsurp like so many already out there in Facebook Land. The Archangel has it's own magazine, to answer the question above. It does not resolve the interrupter problem that JYD correctly referred to above.
I get that it's reversible. If they ever get put back. Especially if you really read what he said. "My Mosins are all in good shape but not collectors. I will likely convert on to the archangel set up" To each his own. I actually have one of these stocks too. It was sent to me as a promotional gift as a kind of give it a try and see what you think. The problem is I'm never going to use one of my complete rifles to do that. Not even temporarily for exactly the reason Bill stated. I've heard that sometimes the action drops right in and sometimes there's fitting that needs to be done. If I run across a barreled action I'll give it a try just for the fun of it. Project for a later time.
tommyd123

Post by tommyd123 »

Can u guys help my figure out what I have? It's a 1927 mn but I think it's triple dated. Can y'all give me your thoughts on this? ImageImageImage