Mitchell's Mousers

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ModelAUZI

Mitchell's Mousers

Post by ModelAUZI »

Well I've been away for a bit but I noticed an ad in Mitchell's Mousers for A PU Sniper and his ad read that due to the issues with Russia the ones he has in stock will be the last ones. True? Did anyone here that? I don't have a sniper YET.
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
catcracker

Re: Mitchell's Mousers

Post by catcracker »

1)I have always heard they are not a vendor to be trusted.
2) The minute that news came out about the sanctions, every gun store I visited, and requested to see a Mosin Nagant on the rack, the salesman would nearly jump out of their skin to tell me that these were the last to ever be imported. Anything for a sale. (or price increase)

My :2cents: Load of :furious:

Again, that is only my opinion.
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Mitchell's Mausers are a bunch of crooks, the rifles they sell, are border line fraud. They sell K98's that they hump themselves, restamp, refinish, and then sell them off, as if they were found under Hitler's bed last week. I'm sure their PU snipers are about the same. Now, I'm sure they are perfectly safe to fire, but as far as history, they have none, other than what they did in their shop to them.

Do the research on them, they are the laughing stock of most gun collector forums.
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

Don't do it. Mitchells Mausers are fraudsters of the first order. Do not believe their advertisements or their laughable "Letters of provenace". A little research on the internet will yield ample evidence of this.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
oldarmyguy65

Post by oldarmyguy65 »

Because of Obama's fuss with Putin over the Ukraine, most imports from Russia have been stopped, including surplus arms and ammunition made in Russian factories. I don't know for certain if existing contracts will be honoured, but if the embargo continues, at some point, there will be no more Russian imports (this doesn't include Finnish or Chinese manufacture).

As to Mitchell's Mausers, I purchased a K98k from them about 7 years ago. The rifle is in excellent shape, all of the serial numbers on all the parts match and it shoots extremely well. I researched the manufacturing marks, (they all match on the rifle parts) and determined the rifle was NOT manufactured at any of the concentration camps. The rifle was manufactured in 1941. There are repair marks on the stock ( very well jointed) and you can tell it was a battlefield pick-up that was later refurbished. I paid $300 +(-) including shipping and Federal firearms dealer fees. I'm happy with my Mauser.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Genetically Swiss wrote:Don't do it. Mitchells Mausers are fraudsters of the first order. Do not believe their advertisements or their laughable "Letters of provenace". A little research on the internet will yield ample evidence of this.

GS
Concur. The rifles they sell are shooters only-- the cubic zirconia of the milsurp scene. You could not pay me to take one.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

A all serial number matching K98k Mauser is worth north of $1000.00. Probably closer to $1400.00 or more.

As far as what they "say", it needs to be measured against their reputation in the collectors world. It's not hard to do a few searches on the internet to find out what collectors think of them and their rifles.

Judge what they sell and what they say based on that.

Dolk
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The K98 rifles they sell are actually M48 Mausers rifles. He bought a sizable bunch of them and refinished, stamped with Nazi markings and reblued them. This can be be verified by looking up Mitchells Mausers in the Blue Book of Gun Values, it tells the whole story.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

ModelAUZI wrote:Well I've been away for a bit but I noticed an ad in Mitchell's Mousers for A PU Sniper and his ad read that due to the issues with Russia the ones he has in stock will be the last ones. True? Did anyone here that? I don't have a sniper YET.
God I only hope those huckster hacks run out of "snipers" to sell. More used car salesman bullshit. Yes Imports are on hold right now from Russia and Ukraine because of Putin's penis measuring contest. There's still a fair amount of them here, Royal Tiger has 56 Tulas alone and AIM shows 293 in stock. Rguns recently moved and relaunched a new website and haven't put their's back up but I check pretty regular and when they do I'll put them back on gun-deals. Bottom line is though there is probably no more coming now I believe eventually we will see more. My fingers are crossed anyway. I know some importers that are working to find ways around this right now. Here's the ones I know about. http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 4&subcat=5
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

As to Mitchell's Mausers, I purchased a K98k from them about 7 years ago. The rifle is in excellent shape, all of the serial numbers on all the parts match and it shoots extremely well. I researched the manufacturing marks, (they all match on the rifle parts) and determined the rifle was NOT manufactured at any of the concentration camps. The rifle was manufactured in 1941. There are repair marks on the stock ( very well jointed) and you can tell it was a battlefield pick-up that was later refurbished. I paid $300 +(-) including shipping and Federal firearms dealer fees. I'm happy with my Mauser.[/quote]

Of course all the serials match they stamped them to match. It was marked to have been made in 1941 by them. Sometime get a real accurate Vernier Caliper and measure from the Barrel badge plate to the bottom of the barrel on you Mitchell's gun. Then find a real K98 and measure it the same way, I have done this with about 5 or 6 rifles now and Mitchells Mauser will always be slightly smaller where the stampings are. The reason is simple they have removed the old markings to stamp the new ones and the rifle got slightly smaller. I have to admit they shoot decent but usually are much more than say a nice M48 which usually are great shooters and are much cheaper for the most part. I saw a very nice one sell for $400 today at a show. You got away cheap for the $300 so consider yourself lucky and in the future avoid Mitchells like the plague or you will get burned far worse than that. They have been sued several times and have always managed to worm out of it using expensive legal moves and in the interpretation of the advertising words. The last I heard they were trying to buy or build their own plant to do their own manufacturing instead of letting contract help do their work. Bill :o
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

Thanks So much for all of your input. Every time I see something like that it makes me wonder. I'll stick to the gun shows…
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

Longcolt44 wrote:The K98 rifles they sell are actually M48 Mausers rifles. He bought a sizable bunch of them and refinished, stamped with Nazi markings and reblued them. This can be be verified by looking up Mitchells Mausers in the Blue Book of Gun Values, it tells the whole story.
This is quite simply not true. They're merely Russian captured K98s that Mitchell's has refinished, rematched and dubiously sells off as "all matching K98s" which technically they are. Very loathsome way of marketing but they're still German made K98ks. I own one. The receiver is J.P Sauer und Sohn manufactured in 1941. The rest ? Who knows, but I know the stock has had some kind of blade contact on the handguard because even after mitchell's sanded it down, the damage is still evident.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

FR0STY54R wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:The K98 rifles they sell are actually M48 Mausers rifles. He bought a sizable bunch of them and refinished, stamped with Nazi markings and reblued them. This can be be verified by looking up Mitchells Mausers in the Blue Book of Gun Values, it tells the whole story.
This is quite simply not true. They're merely Russian captured K98s that Mitchell's has refinished, rematched and dubiously sells off as "all matching K98s" which technically they are. Very loathsome way of marketing but they're still German made K98ks. I own one. The receiver is J.P Sauer und Sohn manufactured in 1941. The rest ? Who knows, but I know the stock has had some kind of blade contact on the handguard because even after mitchell's sanded it down, the damage is still evident.
MM has humped Yugos, RC's, Mosin Nagants, Lugers, et al. They are fraudulent in that they remove original markings and sell what they have humped as something it never was. They can, and have taken a standard RC and through extensive grinding, filing and re-stamping, turned said RC into a fake SS sniper and sell it for 20 times its market value to unknowledgable rubes. They are crooks, cheats and should have been run out of business years ago. Only the gullible, or those have no desire for orginaity buy from them. Their wares positively have no collector value.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

Genetically Swiss wrote:
FR0STY54R wrote:
MM has humped Yugos, RC's, Mosin Nagants, Lugers, et al. They are fraudulent in that they remove original markings and sell what they have humped as something it never was. They can, and have taken a standar RC and through extensive grinding, filing and re-stamping, turned said RC into a fake SS sniper attempt to sell it for 20 times its market value. They are crooks, cheats and should have been run out of business years ago. Only the gullible, or those have no desire for orginaity buy from them. Their wares positively have no collector value.

GS
Yes, I'm quite aware they hump their rifles, I stated so. They sand down the stocks, polish the bolts and fake stamp the parts to "match". As far as fake stamping M48s, I've never seen any real proof of this. I have seen where they dubiously advertise M48s as "K98 Model M48" rifles however. I was merely stating exactly what they are. Genuine German K98s fake matched and essentially bubbafied.

My mitchells was my first milsurp I ever bought, my first rifle actually if not accounting for a .22. Yes, I got burned, yes the collector value is nonexistent, but it still shoots great, is silky smooth and at the end of the day is still a German manufactured rifle that served in the second world war. The way I look at it, It can be my beater gun for when I finally land a vet bring back lol. It still has a place, although yes, I would definitely advise people to avoid them.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

The only way I would ever acquire a gun from MM is if you gave it to me for free.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Rongo wrote:The only way I would ever acquire a gun from MM is if you gave it to me for free.
Can I have a "AMEN" on Rongo's statement, nothing else needs to be said, except for the old saying.

Do you want to purchase 2nd hand oats that have been processed by the horse the 1st time :biggrin:

Now let me remember what's that stuff called? :vconfused: :vconfused: :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's called shit Joe, Stack High In Transit, but the word has come to be associated with fecal matter, and all things considered fecal matter. Being it's from a horse it would be horse shit, Mitchells is better know for a different variety called bullshit
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

Guys FYI MM has no more K98s. They are sold out except for what they claim are a few battle field pickups that they claim are very ruff and are being sold for 399. The only Mauser rifles they have in stock are M48s.
'56 SHE VZ52
'46 Izhevsk M44 Mosin Carbine
'44 Finnish VKT M39 Mosin
'40 Tula 91/30 Finn Capture
'44 K98 Mauser (Yugo Rework)
'43 Swiss K31
'45 Springfield M1 Garand
'43 Remington 1903A3
'43 Long Branch No.4 Mk.1*
'58 Madsen M47
VZ58 Folder With Beaver Barf
New Frontier/KAK AR15 5.56mm