IT'S A WHAT??

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

IT'S A WHAT??

Post by Longcolt44 »

Is it a Japanese Arisaka or is it an Italian Carcano? Yes! In 1937 the war in China was draining the Japanese arsenals of what they could produce and what was being produced was going to the Imperial Japanese Army. The Imperial Japanese Navy was in need of small arms and went in search of help. They first went to Germany and found that what they wanted were to expensive to produce. They then turned to Italy and were able to come to a deal with them. The Italians had three arsenals, Terni, Brescia and Beretta. An order was placed with the Italians for 60,000 rifles, (30,000 at Terni, 15,000 at Brescia and 15,000 at Beretta), and were produced in 1938 and 1939. In 1940 Germany, Japan and Italy became the AXIS. These rifles are referred to as the Japanese-Carcano Type I, (I as in Imperial not 1) or the Japanese Navy Type I. Although made for the Navy some went direct to storage and a few were found on the Japanese held islands with Army units. It is rumored that the Japanese snipers preferred these over the Arisaka.

These rifles were made to Japanese standards and closely resemble the Arisaka Type 38. Side by side across the room it is hard to tell the difference. The difference is in the receiver, bolt, butt plate, trigger guard and front sight. The Arisaka magazine well was mated to the Carcano receiver. The barrel, rear sight, cleaning rod and other small parts are of the Arisaka Type 38 design, it will accept the Arisaka bayonet. There are very few markings on these rifles and have only a serial number above the wood line and some small inspectors marks on the bottom of the receiver including the last two numbers of the date made. The 39 date is also stamped on the inside of the top handguard. These were made in the Japanese 6.50 caliber not to be confused with the Carcano 6.52.

This rifle was made at FNA-Bresica in 1939. The stock was made from Italian hardwood and like the Arisaka is made in two pieces. The wood seems to have a varnish finish of some type. The bore is in excellent condition and all metal parts are in very good condition with only slight wear on the edges of the trigger guard. There are no import stamps and who brought it or how it got here will be kept a secret forever.

This rifle came in to the shop along with some other guns from a lady cleaning out her house of firearms after the husband passed. We actually did take it in as an Arisaka and it wasn't until my co-worker Ron started cleaning it did we notice a difference. He said something was weird with the bolt. It took some time to actually identify it as what it is and then to research the information above. I am posting a lot of pictures so next time you run across, ”Another damned Arisaka”, take a second look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: IT'S A WHAT??

Post by Longcolt44 »

Second page pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

A Brescia Arsenal JC Type 1??? That is one hell of a find my Friend!!!!

Very nice Score! :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Only ever found one of these in the wild, I hesitated one day, and missed it.

Nice write-up, LC!
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Sweet!
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Nice write up. I didn't even know about these until you posted that. Thanks for enlightening me! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Very nice, Longcolt! :vcool:
JER

Post by JER »

Mine is H496. The bolt markings are the same as yours. Mine has a canvas sling on it that I don't know if it's a reproduction, or the genuine article. Don't know how to find out, either...interesting guns.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The slings and bayonets were issued back in Japan. They would have used the same slings as issued on the Type 99 Arisakas. The bayonets were the Type 30. Feel free to post a picture (s) of your rifle JER in this thread. Yours would be from the same arsenal and made earlier than mine.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Dang Chuck that is very cool. Don't you love your job?
JER

Post by JER »

right.jpg
Hello, Longcolt44-
Here are a few snaps of H496 for comparison's sake. The metal and bore are great, the stock a little dinged. Looks like old damage from careless handling..
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

Neat rifles! :o Never heard of such rifles until just moments ago. Thanks for the info and pics.

Carisaka? Arisacano? :tongue:
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice one JER. Do you know the date on your rifle? I looks by the number to be late 38 or early 39.
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

I wonder if this one ever had a dust cover like some of the Japanese rifles had before the were taken off? They sometimes rattled and made too much noise for combat. I can't remember the model that had the dust cover.JGC
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

These rifles never had a dust cover. The Carcano receiver was not slotted/cut for a dust cover, check the pictures. These two rifles are us the way they were manufactured.
JER

Post by JER »

Longcolt44 wrote:Nice one JER. Do you know the date on your rifle? I looks by the number to be late 38 or early 39.
Just now took it apart. It wasn't easy due to the two-piece Front Band arrangement. The markings are the same as yours- a big "39", etc. except directly behind the recoil lug there is stamped RCA, with the "A" upside down (or the "R").. Otherwise identical...
There is a large "7" stamped under the tang. The trigger mechanism is very heavy duty and overly complicated, seems to me.. :|