Tips for not scratching handguard

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
FR0STY54R

Tips for not scratching handguard

Post by FR0STY54R »

Anybody have any tips on removing the handguard without scratching the finish all to hell with the barrel bands ?
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tips for not scratching handguard

Post by Rongo »

Look to the bottom of the band... It can be separated & spread. Always remove the cleaning rod first; Then, with a blunt flathead screwdriver or similar tool carefully spread the band allowing the tip of the tool to traverse along the cleaning rod channel. Less is more, take your time & don't spread the band anymore than you have to... Too much & you will bend it, too fast & you will slip & mar the finish on the stock. I have found that sitting on a stool with the bolt removed & verifying the gun is empty, place the butt of the stock on the floor, hold the stock firmly between the legs, place the tool in the band to lightly spread with one hand & grasp the band with the other hand slowly easing the band up & off.

Good Luck.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Rongo wrote:Look to the bottom of the band... It can be separated & spread. Always remove the cleaning rod first; Then, with a blunt flathead screwdriver or similar tool carefully spread the band allowing the tip of the tool to traverse along the cleaning rod channel. Less is more, take your time & don't spread the band anymore than you have to... Too much & you will bend it, too fast & you will slip & mar the finish on the stock. I have found that sitting on a stool with the bolt removed & verifying the gun is empty, place the butt of the stock on the floor, hold the stock firmly between the legs, place the tool in the band to lightly spread with one hand & grasp the band with the other hand slowly easing the band up & off.

Good Luck.

Classic description of how to safely do the job. I also use and oil of some sort to make them slide easier too! Bill :thumbsup:
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

zeebill wrote:
Rongo wrote:Look to the bottom of the band... It can be separated & spread. Always remove the cleaning rod first; Then, with a blunt flathead screwdriver or similar tool carefully spread the band allowing the tip of the tool to traverse along the cleaning rod channel. Less is more, take your time & don't spread the band anymore than you have to... Too much & you will bend it, too fast & you will slip & mar the finish on the stock. I have found that sitting on a stool with the bolt removed & verifying the gun is empty, place the butt of the stock on the floor, hold the stock firmly between the legs, place the tool in the band to lightly spread with one hand & grasp the band with the other hand slowly easing the band up & off.

Good Luck.

Classic description of how to safely do the job. I also use and oil of some sort to make them slide easier too! Bill :thumbsup:
Thanks a lot guys ! I have been using the handy dandy Mosin multitool to pry the bands and loosen them and aside from it being frustrating, it's worked with relative success. Unfortunately on one of my first mosins I bought, I marred the finish on the handguard pretty bad and every time I look at the thing I cringe because the rest of the stock is so immaculate. All well, you live and learn.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
lalunette

Post by lalunette »

FR0STY54R wrote:Unfortunately on one of my first mosins I bought, I marred the finish on the handguard pretty bad and every time I look at the thing I cringe because the rest of the stock is so immaculate. All well, you live and learn.
Yup, did the same thing...

I have a beautiful 1940 round receiver Izhevsk on which I did the same thing. :(
one finger john

Post by one finger john »

Those little, tiny SnapOn flat blade screwdrivers work perfectly. TAKE YOUR TIME, DO NOT RUSH. Buy two.
Use the screw drivers to slowly wedge the separations apart until the band moves freely. Open only as much as needed for free movement. No more, no less. Don't be impatient. Pull bolt & cleaning rod. lay upside down on a carpeted surface with a couple of books to hold rifle upright. Perform above with care. Viola, no scratches.

John
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I always apply a liberal wipe of lemon oil on the wood prior to sliding the bands up, works for me.
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

snap ring pliers

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

ParrotHead wrote:snap ring pliers
A good thought... But it can snap loose to easily. Give me a dedicated wedge to widen the gap any day.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

I took an old screwdriver and made my own tool. It is crude because I can't see as well as I used to, but it does work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.