Not all Chinese are ugly

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SA1911a1

Not all Chinese are ugly

Post by SA1911a1 »

This one is interesting. At first, I thought it had been refinished, but the edges are sharp and I just don't know. I have seven T-53s, four of which are matching, and no two have the same coloration or finish. The insides look as good as the outside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Ironnewt

Re: Not all Chinese are ugly

Post by Ironnewt »

I know quite a few that are "Gorgeous" :thumbsup:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Good score Steve, the stock and the metal are fantastic. Is that stock in the normal chu wood? :Drool1:

Red
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

redspoon wrote:Good score Steve, the stock and the metal are fantastic. Is that stock in the normal chu wood? :Drool1:

Red
I am not sure. The wood is typical of six of my T-53s, whatever that means. The seventh rifle has an odd grain, it is very light in color and the growth rings are not very pronounced. Number 7 is an old Navy Arms import and I understand that they may not have played nice with their rifle imports.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

There were some in this condition imported 25 years ago, a few have shown up on the board from time to time, not all rifles get used, there are always a few unissued rifles in reserve that end up in with all the rest of the surplus.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Way nicer than any of my T53s! :thumbsup:
B24

Post by B24 »

All I have seen have had some kind of white funk growing on the wood. I only have 1 carbine a 48 M44. I would eventually like to add the T53, M38 and a 91/59 to the collection.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nicest pre 1960 in original finish I have seen. Special carbine you have there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And, yes, this appears to be Manchurian Catalpa. Did you say who the importer was?
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

qz2026 wrote:Nicest pre 1960 in original finish I have seen. Special carbine you have there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And, yes, this appears to be Manchurian Catalpa. Did you say who the importer was?
Maybe the dot-matrix mark can help identify the import date.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Did not think it possible, nicest Chinese Mosin I have ever seen :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

SA1911a1 wrote:
qz2026 wrote:Nicest pre 1960 in original finish I have seen. Special carbine you have there. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Maybe the dot-matrix mark can help identify the import date.
Even better being a Century import :thumbsup: :vcool:
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

Very Outstanding :attn: :attn: :attn: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

recent Balkan import , last few years, there have been some cleaner than average rifles from that lot. The Chinese sold arms to that area after there was a falling out with the Russians, some can be very used looking, or even have Albanian stocks on them.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Jim, I was wondering if someone had been able to correlate types of CAI markings with dates?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

Damn that's nice
Shoot like Voroshilov !
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Keep in mind two things!

1 The early Navy Arms imports contained a bunch of almost new looking unissued? T53's.

2 Sarco or one of them last year had brand new stocks and hand guards for $59. I have seen a couple that have the stocks on them and they do look right to me and are I would guess from the fact they had no real finish on them or marks they would be undetectable?

Like my always poor foresight, I wish I had bought a bunch of them as several of the T-53 I have seen recently had almost perfect blue on them. :x Oh Well! Bill
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: I have certainly never seen one anywhere near that clean. If I was taking a quick glance at a rack of rifles, I'd probably have just thought it was a Russian M44 and thought nothing else of it. Great score! :vcool:
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Lotema wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup: I have certainly never seen one anywhere near that clean. If I was taking a quick glance at a rack of rifles, I'd probably have just thought it was a Russian M44 and thought nothing else of it. Great score! :vcool:
Thanks. You guys passed on it on GB.....I was the only bid.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

SA1911a1 wrote:Jim, I was wondering if someone had been able to correlate types of CAI markings with dates?
Probably , CAI might even help with that, but I just use my own experience of having observed them for over 30 years. They went from tiny and unobtrusive in the 80's to huge, and ugly by the mid 2000's. Not CAI's fault totally, much of the import mark business is dictated by BATFE requirements. They could be neater about it, slightly smaller banner, but it still has to contain all the information you see today, and be big enough to be easily observed. With the massive influx of Mosins that was going on previous to now they probably went with whatever way was fastest to mark each rifle, speed over careful workmanship.
Theodore Roosevelt