New Member intoducing myself and my new Mosinss.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MN-JAG

New Member intoducing myself and my new Mosinss.

Post by MN-JAG »

I'm JAG known here as MN-JAG. I had lurked on this site for awhile gathering information to help me decide what to acquire with my first Mosins. I acquired a 1943 Izhevsk 91/30 as an inexpensive shooter 5 months ago and fell in love with researching the history and shooting that rifle. It was an impulse buy basing my purchase on what I thought looked like a decent bore on a rifle that was that old. I hoped to do more extensive research into collectability but I wanted an inexpensive quality shooter first and so the bore convinced me..along with the brass endcaps on the handguard on this particular rifle. I have learned a lot thoroughly cleaning it and getting it to shoot straight. It's not the prettiest Mosin but it will probably always be my favorite.I need to figure out how to post some images that display some markings that are on the rifle some of which I'd love to find the meaning for. The ъ on top of the receiver cutout intrigues me as it is where the C is on my PU sniper and I can't help to think has some significance. The trigger on my 91/30 is as smooth as the one on my PU so needless to say it is fun to shoot and more accurate than I thought I could be with iron sights. The accuracy of the first rifle convinced me to buy the PU sniper which I am just getting acquainted with. It is an Izhvesk also but from 1943. I look forward to being able to share pics of these rifles and get feedback from the members of this knowledgeabble forum
kamakazi339

Re: New Member intoducing myself and my new Mosinss.

Post by kamakazi339 »

Welcome to the forums!

:worthless: :dont:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

MN-JAG, you are so right. When I hear people say that the 43 Izhevsk is so common that it isn't interesting I realize they don't have the same introductory story that I do, which just happens to be the same as your story. My wartime cheap 43 Izhevsk is the one that got me hooked for the same reasons that you just shared. Except that I have never bought a sniper. I had the money the other day for one but turned around and spent it on a couple of Finns instead. Welcome to the forum. :P
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Welcome to the Forum! :toast:

There is a thread about the C mark on snipers in another forum.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Welcome! :)
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Welcome to the forums, lots of great folks here that'll be happy to help when they can! Nothing wrong with a '43 Izhevsk as a first rifle. That's the one that got me hooked as well and will be the last one out of my collection after I'm dead and gone. I've got plenty that are nicer but none that mean quite as much (it was a gift from the wife, she rocks).

For sharing pictures and what not, get an account on photobucket or something similar (if you don't already have one). It's easy to upload to them and they make it really easy to grab the link to the photos so you can embed it here.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
MN-JAG

Post by MN-JAG »

Well I'm off to a good start. I lied to you guys on my first post since my 91/30 is a 1942 not 43 as I had mistyped. My PU is a 1943. Here are a couple(too many) pics of the '42 Izhevsk that show a couple of marks I found interesting but undocumented as well as the basic ID images. How matching do you guys think this rifle is? The fonts on buttplate, magazine and bolt lookto be the same to my untrained eye, but no prefix included. Hard to tell if fonts match the barrel.
IMG_0612a.JPG
IMG_0598.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG
IMG_0611.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0642.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

That's a nice looking rifle whatever year it is. Welcome to the forum.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

I like the war time roughness of the barrel shank. I keep looking for one like that but haven't come across one yet. For me that really tells a huge story of the desperation to get arms to the front.

I'd say that the butt plate, magazine plate and bolt numbers match each other but do not match what's on the barrel shank. Other than the omission of the prefix, take a look at the "9". The barrel shank has a much rounder top part of the 9 where the rest of the pieces have a more oblong/oval shape to the 9.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
MN-JAG

Post by MN-JAG »

Hopefully this is not too much too soon but here are a few pics of my '43 Izhevsk PU sniper. Any info that you can offer is welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MN-JAG

Post by MN-JAG »

Lotema wrote:I like the war time roughness of the barrel shank. I keep looking for one like that but haven't come across one yet. For me that really tells a huge story of the desperation to get arms to the front.

I'd say that the butt plate, magazine plate and bolt numbers match each other but do not match what's on the barrel shank. Other than the omission of the prefix, take a look at the "9". The barrel shank has a much rounder top part of the 9 where the rest of the pieces have a more oblong/oval shape to the 9.
I agree with your thinking. It took awhile to appreciate the rough appearance of the barrel shank but they give it character to go with the sexy brass handguard endcaps. It does shoot very straight after a slight drifting of the front sight. Interestingly it shoots most ammo low but I correct that by setting the rear sight at 300 meters when shooting at 100. The groups are better than expected as I am very inexperienced as a marksman. Have to keep tightening action into stock to keep the groups tight. That's a lesson I learned early.
MN-JAG

Post by MN-JAG »

8X56R wrote:That's a nice looking rifle whatever year it is. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the comment. Funny how much cleaner it looks as I get used to what old Mosin's actually look like. My first impression was that it was the least ugly out of a group of thirteen ugly ducklings. Now it is special, if only to me.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

MN-JAG wrote:
Lotema wrote:I like the war time roughness of the barrel shank. I keep looking for one like that but haven't come across one yet. For me that really tells a huge story of the desperation to get arms to the front.

I agree with your thinking. It took awhile to appreciate the rough appearance of the barrel shank but they give it character to go with the sexy brass handguard endcaps. It does shoot very straight after a slight drifting of the front sight. Interestingly it shoots most ammo low but I correct that by setting the rear sight at 300 meters when shooting at 100. The groups are better than expected as I am very inexperienced as a marksman. Have to keep tightening action into stock to keep the groups tight. That's a lesson I learned early.
Welcome to the forum. Both of these rifles have been through the refurb program and most of them are forced matched in one way or another. The PU Sniper rifles tend to retain more of the original parts due to them being refurbed slightly different. They seemed to keep a lot of the parts together while doing them. Mainly I suspect to retain the accuracy of the rifle due to them being more finely tuned. Read through this and it will explain the refurb process and how these were force matched. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... index.html
MN-JAG

Post by MN-JAG »

Thanks for the interesting link WeldonHunter. Good read.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Welcome and nice pictures :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
MN-JAG

Post by MN-JAG »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:Welcome and nice pictures :thumbsup:
Thanks. Those are just quick takes I used to have ID photos of my rifles. I intend to take some better images that show off the beauty of even common Mosin rifles. Kind of a way of combining two of my interests. I look forward to adding a few more rifles and finding some settings that will enhance their intrinsic beauty, both as individual rifles and along side of other Mosins.