Well, this is interesting...DDR mark now debunked?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1943 Shirley Enfield No 4 MK 1
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

zeebill

Re: Well, this is interesting...DDR mark now debunked?

Post by zeebill »

Another refurb mark bights the dust. Bet we see special sales on DDR rifles next. Seriously I guess things like this should be expected as information makes its way out of Russia and is forwarded by the Russian researchers. History indeed is often changed by new knowledge and we should expect such things. Like one poster said now if the real meaning for MO only surfaces in my lifetime I will be happy! The variety of marks on Refurbs only seems to get more diverse as each wave hits the country! I cannot believe we will ever know a large part of them so mysteries will abound forever. Bill :wink:
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

First Hello Kitty...and now this.

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

zeebill wrote:Another refurb mark bights the dust. Bet we see special sales on DDR rifles next. Seriously I guess things like this should be expected as information makes its way out of Russia and is forwarded by the Russian researchers. History indeed is often changed by new knowledge and we should expect such things. Like one poster said now if the real meaning for MO only surfaces in my lifetime I will be happy! The variety of marks on Refurbs only seems to get more diverse as each wave hits the country! I cannot believe we will ever know a large part of them so mysteries will abound forever. Bill :wink:

Lets not forget the red letters! :bwink:

Mosin Wiki marks section
http://mosinwiki.com/index.php?title=Misc._Mosin_Marks

There still are a ton on unknown marks. If you have more, please Post them here
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22417

Dolk
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

I "read" the PDF from RyanE's link (well, I used Bing translate to do it since I don't read or speak Russian) and around page 429 is the section about the arsenal refurb marks. Looks like there are a total of 43 that the author found references to but only the 13 that he could positively identify. There are some new ones in the sheet of 43 that I hadn't seen before. Mostly just subtle variations of a base shape. Interesting work indeed.

Dolk, /25\ with the red letters is already known! It was the cyanide paint refurbishment facilities!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

Pm you the unknown marks? I think I have a few
WaRuss

Post by WaRuss »

Anyway we can get a legible copy of the picture on that forum.
I don't have permission to look at the picture and don't particularily want to join another forum.
Thanks.
WaRuss

Because life is short and we should enjoy it.
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

Simply an amazing find ! I absolutely love it when things like this come to light. Now if only we can have some documentation on the meaning of the MO marked rifles.
Last edited by FR0STY54R on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

So my question is, where did the DDR theory come from?? Kind if like MO standing for the ministry of defense, how do there wrong ideas get so widely accepted as fact?? I gaurentee that for years the /1\ mark will still be refered to as a DDR stamp, that cat is way out of the bag.. I guess the first step would be for someone to update 7.62.net as so many people use it as a bible for Mosins..
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

WaRuss wrote:Anyway we can get a legible copy of the picture on that forum.
I don't have permission to look at the picture and don't particularily want to join another forum.
Thanks.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409331722.694174.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
ParrotHead

Post by ParrotHead »

Helps to explain a lot of the "incomplete" box stamps you see on barrels...to me, anyway
Last edited by ParrotHead on Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

1942 VKT M39 [1905]
1944 Tikka 91/30 [1915]
1940 Tikka M91 [1897]
1940 Tula [SA] 91/30
1935 Tula 91/30
1937 Tula 91/30
1928 5 line ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
Eddystone M1917 Enfield
1939 ERMA K98k
1944 Swiss K-31
1939 M1895 Nagant
CZ82

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This has to suck for anyone who paid extra for the East German marking, I managed to stumble across mine while buying ordinary refurbs by date.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

kamakazi339 wrote:Pm you the unknown marks? I think I have a few
Post them here!!!!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22417

I place them on the "Mosin Wiki" when I get them (and time).
http://mosinwiki.com/index.php?title=Misc._Mosin_Marks

Most of these new ones are on there and I have a bunch more to put on.

Dolk
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:This has to suck for anyone who paid extra for the East German marking, I managed to stumble across mine while buying ordinary refurbs by date.
Ouch. Some paid pretty good money for a DDR mark. Especially on snipers!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

dolk wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:This has to suck for anyone who paid extra for the East German marking, I managed to stumble across mine while buying ordinary refurbs by date.
Ouch. Some paid pretty good money for a DDR mark. Especially on snipers!
You for sure should not feel alone! You are just one of the honest ones who admits it. Look back on other things that have since been debunked like the honest for real SVT sniper scope mounts that brought great money till it was more or less admitted there were none except in certain collections. Pure dumb luck and lack of finance protected me there as I had a choice of a "Real" one for $2500 with scope or an honest looking repro with scope for $750 back when they were unheard of. Only had about $1000 in the gun pot so it saved me a bunch in the long run. Then after a bunch of time and further information it was admitted there were probably very few real ones in the country! Wish I was that lucky other times as things cost me a bunch to learn a bunch of tough lessons.

Thank God I am not too sniper prone as I had a chance to buy a nice Bulgarian PU sniper for a great and substantial amount and with my luck they will come up with a way to prove they in fact were redone in Russia at a later date and worth about half their current value. Really looking back almost all special service rifles are sort of coming to a peak and then they become less favorable to the collectors for many different reasons. Will have to watch what happens now to all the DDR rifle owners in their values? Maybe they will find that depot only did a very few repairs and they will become more valuable. One never knows! Bill :wink:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Fact is, when the big DDR buy started back a few years now, those guys bought their DDR rifles for around $125 when they were way less, so if they sold them now (as regular rifles), they'd still make out on them OK. Mosins have gone up enough to cover the "small" items like that.

I don't have any DDR marked or red letter or MO marked. I switched over to collecting Finn and US rifles a long time ago now.

Dolk
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Very good!! So now DDR is debunked including /2\. Didn't see any reference to /3\ but I haven't seen any of those either. But, I am seeing something else here and maybe it was mentioned - I'm in a hurry - got to get to my son's rehearsal dinner. Anyway, it appears as if all the Ukrainian refurbishment stamps we have seen on barrel shanks and stocks could be debunked/further translated too? Two of the square marks are Ukrainian but different locations. Riga, the square stamp with nothing inside is in Latvia This information is good and bad. Good that we know what these markings mean and bad in that some who collect based on manufacture armory now have another sub category - refurbishment center. I'm confident that this is probably not a collector sub category but perhaps a way of comparing the work done in these centers. I haven't had a chance to look at them all carefully, but this information is too cool.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Very good!! So now DDR is debunked including /2\. Didn't see any reference to /3\ but I haven't seen any of those either. But, I am seeing something else here and maybe it was mentioned - I'm in a hurry - got to get to my son's rehearsal dinner. Anyway, it appears as if all the Ukrainian refurbishment stamps we have seen on barrel shanks and stocks could be debunked/further translated too? Two of the square marks are Ukrainian but different locations. Riga, the square stamp with nothing inside is in Latvia This information is good and bad. Good that we know what these markings mean and bad in that some who collect based on manufacture armory now have another sub category - refurbishment center. I'm confident that this is probably not a collector sub category but perhaps a way of comparing the work done in these centers. I haven't had a chance to look at them all carefully, but this information is too cool.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Thank you for posting this. 'Never bought a Mosin based on whether it had this marking, but each bit of knowledge is valuable to collectors.