Type 38 Japanese Arisaka Long Rifle

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

I bought and subsequently returned a Japanese Type 38 Arisaka and I do have some pictures left on the phone that I thought I'd post with some of what I know about it and some questions I had regarding these Type 38s.

I am very sorry about the poor pictures in this post, I never really got around to taking high quality photos before I returned the rifle for having headspace issues.

First things first we have the receiver markings. The iconic Chrysanthemum is fully intact and the Japanese model designation is below it. "38 Type", along with the two vent holes.

From the limited amount of research I've done, I think this rifle was manufactured at the Koishikawa arsenal in Tokyo somewhere between 1906 and 1935.

Here is the side of the receiver with the serial number and arsenal mark. Once again, sorry about the extremely poor quality.

I believe this rifle has the earlier style cocking piece as shown here.

Once again, from my limited research, I believe that this "S" on the barrel was added after the Tokyo arsenal hit 800,000 rifles. I'm really not too sure.

The rifle did have a dust cover however, it was un matching to the rifle and had actually worn down some of the bluing on the receiver from where it had been rubbing it. In fact, absolutely none of the parts on the rifle matched one another. I am not entirely sure if this is typical or not. The rifle had no import markings either. This coupled with the fact the Chrysanthemum was still intact led me to believe it was a vet bring back. Would that assumption be completely wrong ?

Here is the rifle side by side a Turkish Gew98.

Shoot like Voroshilov !
etprescottazusa91

Re: Type 38 Japanese Arisaka Long Rifle

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Nice rifle, :thumbsup: many Type 38's were matched by assembly numbers and not the serial number, so if you bolt does not match the seriel number the rifle still may be matching. The assembly number is only visable if you remove the barreled action from the wood. Does that dust cover match, original? If so that was a pretty decent find :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:Nice rifle, :thumbsup: many Type 38's were matched by assembly numbers and not the serial number, so if you bolt does not match the seriel number the rifle still may be matching. The assembly number is only visable if you remove the barreled action from the wood. Does that dust cover match, original? If so that was a pretty decent find :thumbsup:
Thanks ! Never did get to disassemble that rifle. I took it out to the range and she was key holing at 15 yards and the action was seizing up. Needless to say, I returned the rifle. All I know is that no two numbers on the rifle were the same and the dust cover seemed a bit too tight. It rubbed the bluing very badly.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

What ammo or brand of were you using? Never heard of a rifle key holing at only 15 yards.
Head Space can be checked with gages.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:What ammo or brand of were you using? Never heard of a rifle key holing at only 15 yards.
Head Space can be checked with gages.
I was using essentially the only commercially available 6.5 Jap you can acquire. The expensive Hornady stuff built with PPU brass. The rifle was keyholing and seized up after every shot, I no longer have the rifle and lack the gauges to headspace it anyway. I was told that the head spacing was most likely the main issue by the Cabelas employees.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Two things here I think. Common problem is a burr on the extractor claw. These rifles seem to have that problem quite a bit.
Rounds need to be loaded into the magazine also. Otherwise the claw does not function properly. Do not load one round at a time by hand.

Bullet size and shape. If you had the 129gr SST bullet, they are a boat tail. At 15 yards I do not think that bullet has stabilized in flight yet. Not certain what bullet type Hornady has been using in the heavier bullets.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:Two things here I think. Common problem is a burr on the extractor claw. These rifles seem to have that problem quite a bit.
Rounds need to be loaded into the magazine also. Otherwise the claw does not function properly. Do not load one round at a time by hand.

Bullet size and shape. If you had the 129gr SST bullet, they are a boat tail. At 15 yards I do not think that bullet has stabilized in flight yet. Not certain what bullet type Hornady has been using in the heavier bullets.
Thank you for the info ! I loaded it like I would any other bolt action rifle. 5 rounds down into the magazine before running the bolt forward and chambering a round.

I believe it may have been the 129 grain SST. I know that the primers were bulging pretty bad as well if that tells you anything.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

You'll have trouble even finding reliable headspace gauges for Japanese rifles. The chamber seems oversized in almost everyone I've ever shot. The before and after look of the brass will be noticeable. The only other thing I've personally seen come close is a Lebel/Berthier,etc..
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt