Russian Vostok CM-2

Rim Fire Firearms
Greasemonkey

Russian Vostok CM-2

Post by Greasemonkey »

I've always wanted to move up a level from my Mossberg 144 LSB, so when opportunity presented it's self, I jumped. :wink:

This is a Russian made Vostok CM-2, as I understand this is an older 2nd generation rifle, there are 4 generations total, with the 4th in current production. These rifles were actually made by Izhmash which is the sporting "civilian" side of Izhvesk. The dates and #s for each gen is unknown but likely started mid to late '70s with gen 1 having a more plain stock without adjustable butt and side mount peeps. Gen 2 used the same side mount peeps and the stock was given a more square fore end, a more pronounced stock pistol grip, and an adjustable butt. Gen 3 was exactly the same as gen 2 except the peeps were mounted on top of the receiver via an 11mm groove. Gen 4 is still in production and has changed very little other than newer sights and very slight changes to the stock.

The "Vostok" brand also includes the Ural which is almost identical to the CM-2 but is slightly bigger and it has a bolt with three internal locking lugs. The Urals were also produced in tandem with the CM-2 and had 3 generations with slight changes as well. Both of these two models have a very unique "self bedding" design where the receiver is square with large knurling (meat hammer) type design on the bottom which bites into the stock to evenly distribute the mating of the action/stock. The action and stock is shown below in the 4th photo.

This particular rifle has a custom made scope mount attachment, so it does not have to be drilled/altered to mount a scope. That was a big plus to me. :thumbsup: The scope mount attachment utilizes the original peep sight mount. Also, included with the rifle is the original number matching peep sight. The bolt is also matching. The trigger is adjustable for weight of pull and overtravel, it's fully adjustable without removing the action from the stock. It can be adjusted down to less than a pound of pull. To give you an overall size of this rifle, the barrel is just over 26 inches long and is .900 inch in diameter for the full length, the weight of the rifle it's self is just under 11 pounds.

Enjoy :toast:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Russian Vostok CM-2

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MCR

Post by MCR »

Very nice.... having one of these myself, I must say these are very nice shooters. They can easily hang with rifles that cost 2-3 times the coin. Bravo to the guy that came up with a way to scope that sucker without drilling. 8-) :thumbsup: :chuckles:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Congrats Carl. If you aren't aready, I am predicting you will be buying the big money ammo with wierd names like Midas +, or X-Act. Now if we could just work on getting that Mossberg you replaced over to my place. :P
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Very nice Greasemonkey! I've been drooling over those for a few years now and was too late to the party when Centerfire had the CM2 Cadets & their big brother in stock. A few guys at the local range have them and they are amazing shooters. Let us know how she shoots for you. :thumbsup: 8-) :Drool1:
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

bunkysdad wrote:Congrats Carl. If you aren't aready, I am predicting you will be buying the big money ammo with wierd names like Midas +, or X-Act. Now if we could just work on getting that Mossberg you replaced over to my place. :P
:D Give me an excuse to try all the fancy expensive :shock: target ammo, thats about the only .22 ammo I can find locally. I've found a few flavors around and I can keep all the Minimags tucked away :thumbsup:
gurn

Post by gurn »

Nice one GM. Range report yet?
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

gurn wrote:Nice one GM. Range report yet?
Sadly no, it won't quit snowing or raining or just actually warm up and dry out long enough. Hopefully, and that is a very tentative hopefully, soon I can give it a go. :thumbsup:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Greasemonkey wrote:
gurn wrote:Nice one GM. Range report yet?
Sadly no, it won't quit snowing or raining or just actually warm up and dry out long enough. Hopefully, and that is a very tentative hopefully, soon I can give it a go. :thumbsup:
Can't wait to see how that one shoots.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Razmataz

Post by Razmataz »

Hello,
I recently bought one old CM-2 at auction. I was looking for an Anshutz 54 or 64, but I fall in love when I see this Russian old Lady!

I kept the original rail (not UIT like the new Izhmash production) and buy a Handstop Anshutz 4751 which has been machined to introduce in the original Russian rail. I also added a rubber cover eye from Gehman and 50 meters it is extremely accurate. I'm really proud to practice the shooting prone discipline, with a pretty rare rifle. (My fellow club shoot with Anschutz or Unique at 90%).
Raz-CM2.JPG
Raz-CM2-Handstop.JPG
Raz-CM2-rubber.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titanium Hammer

Very nice Razmataz! :thumbsup: Hey Greasemonkey, have you had a chance to take your Vostok out to the range yet? My CM-2 "Adult" is pretty finicky about what ammunition it will shoot well. It seems to prefer Geco & Wolf over any American produced stuff. It shoots Wolf Match Target the best & I'm hoping this latest round of Obama sanctions doesn't cut off the supply of Wolf .22 ammo. I'm hoping that since it's made in Germany they can repackage/rename it and get it over here in some form. :b sad:
polymerase2

Post by polymerase2 »

Has anyone seen the Wolf target ammo recently? I am hoarding my last three boxes.
We have met the enemy and he is us.
Titanium Hammer

polymerase2 wrote:Has anyone seen the Wolf target ammo recently? I am hoarding my last three boxes.
Champion Shooter Supply has some Match Target Extra in stock: http://www.championshooters.com/index.p ... Itemid=111
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

polymerase2 wrote:Has anyone seen the Wolf target ammo recently? I am hoarding my last three boxes.
As I understand, Lapua SK Standard Plus and Wolf Match are the same ammo, just in a different box. Wolf doesn't produce it, just distributes it under their brand.
Titanium Hammer wrote:Very nice Razmataz! :thumbsup: Hey Greasemonkey, have you had a chance to take your Vostok out to the range yet? My CM-2 "Adult" is pretty finicky about what ammunition it will shoot well. It seems to prefer Geco & Wolf over any American produced stuff. It shoots Wolf Match Target the best & I'm hoping this latest round of Obama sanctions doesn't cut off the supply of Wolf .22 ammo. I'm hoping that since it's made in Germany they can repackage/rename it and get it over here in some form. :b sad:
Nah, everyone has a case of I need this or I need that done :very mad: that on top of work :bang: . It's getting to the point, I'm going to pull out the cell phone battery and vanish in to the hills.

Another ammo to check out is RWS, their match ammo shoots pretty darn good in my Mossberg 144LSB. Norma also has a decent match ammo. :thumbsup:
Razmataz

Post by Razmataz »

Greasemonkey wrote: everyone has a case of I need this or I need that done
:lol: Its a pretty cheap but usefull case. I find that on a Sport Supermarket:

Decathlon/Solognac

On my side I used often the CCI standard for practice (They are cheap on my club) but I really prefer the RWS with two stars. They are perfect on the Vostok!!!
RWS.jpg