Want to buy an M44, but...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
wolfstein

Re: Want to buy an M44, but...

Post by wolfstein »

I have an East German M44 that the numbers don't match. Who cares, It is a nice gun and I wouldn't part with for anything. The bolt does not have a number. I gave my other M44 to my grandson.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

pgaplayerless wrote:
millman wrote:
pgaplayerless wrote:Plenty refurb'ed matching M44s can be found. I would not buy a non matching refurb M44
To each his own, but you might be passing up a gem.
There really isn't anything "gem" category when it comes to M44s. Trials, hex's, Tulas can be readily found in refurb matching state as there were plenty of them made. Gem would be a 1940 Tula M38 :wink:

I do have non matching M44s but they aren't Soviet refubs
The vast majority of us can find "gems" or "jewels" in any variant of the Mosin rifle. Unfortunately we all don't have your infinite knowledge and the ability for taking great joy with marginalizing every honest comment made by the unclean masses. :bang:
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

qz2026 wrote:
pgaplayerless wrote:
millman wrote:
pgaplayerless wrote:Plenty refurb'ed matching M44s can be found. I would not buy a non matching refurb M44
To each his own, but you might be passing up a gem.
There really isn't anything "gem" category when it comes to M44s. Trials, hex's, Tulas can be readily found in refurb matching state as there were plenty of them made. Gem would be a 1940 Tula M38 :wink:

I do have non matching M44s but they aren't Soviet refubs
The vast majority of us can find "gems" or "jewels" in any variant of the Mosin rifle. Unfortunately we all don't have your infinite knowledge and the ability for taking great joy with marginalizing every honest comment made by the unclean masses. :bang:
Well I am sorry that my personal comment, which addressed nobody but the OP's question, causes soo much heartburn to ya'll. :shock:

As for the personal hygiene thing....luckily I can't smell ya'll across the screen. :lol: But not all is lost as surplus commie soap is readily available:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SFRJ-YUGOSLAVIA ... 486a6a5b65

You DO want to contact the seller to make sure if you buy more then one bar that they will be matching or not. :chuckles:
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

:no2:
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

A mis-matched [SA]marked m44 is a gem, although highly unlikely. :bwink:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
sonney

Post by sonney »

I feel it is all in what you want? You are the one paying the bill, In my case I looked for matched numbers but my M44 and 91/30 will be wall hangers and very few range shots will be done with them. I have 60 rounds for the rifles and may at some point use them. I have shot both rifles but I didn't buy them for a cheap rifle to go to the range. If the furniture is good and the barrel is good buy it. When you have a different number bolt and action number I would check the head space. Remember it is your money you decide if you want to spend it. I found my M44 in Fort Branch In. I paid way too much for the rifle the condition was A- so I got it around were I live I couldn't find one. It is all in what you want. JMO

Sonney
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

My entire collection is force-matched refurbs, but I loved shooting every one and they are all gems to me.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The original poster asked about a m44, and if it was better to hold out for a matching numbers model. Just a regular guy wanting a m44 (like me) looking for a simple answer, so no pgaplayerless, you were not addressing the OP, you were standing up on your bully pulpit like a rooster making noise. Don't do that. At least it looks that way from my screen.
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:US rifles have one serial number, it's on the receiver, all that number every part crap is a European thing, not ours. It's still the same damn rifle no matter if the numbers match or not, go get one.
Amen, and Amen to J.D.'s comment.

Virtually all of U.S. Mil Surplus arms went through a refurbishment at one time or another, but we didn't serialize parts we used Henry Ford's technique it's called Part Nos. that is what made this Nation great in mass manufacturing, which put it ahead of virtually all industrial nations at the time.

Buy an advertised all matching MN and pay a premium, then get some expert to verify that all the fonts match, Which would also include Metallurgy test to insure they were original and not ground off and re-stamped. The latter is what Police Departments do to verify stolen vehicle with serial numbers that have been altered.

Good luck$$$

I couldn't give a rat's @ss if all my parts and pieces had the same serial number on a commie block surplus rifle.