Want to buy an M44, but...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
chaz

Want to buy an M44, but...

Post by chaz »

It seems like firearm stores that sell them have ones that are mismatched numbers. Do any online stores have M44s with matching numbers? .... Would you accept one with mismatch numbers in your collection? Ideas?
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Want to buy an M44, but...

Post by millman »

Matching or not I would buy one. Most M44s you see are refurbs that are force matched, if they are matching. Matching #s on a MN means little to me, unless it was an original non refurb.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

Plenty refurb'ed matching M44s can be found. I would not buy a non matching refurb M44
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

If you understand what these rifles are and how they were refurbished then decide if you really want or need "matching" numbers.

I have both, the non matching had other interesting things I liked so I didn't care they were mismatch. I have later years where they were not refurbed and all numbers match including a stock number under the butt plate and the rifle has no refurb marks.

Keep looking and you'll find a rifle you want.
Kollaa kestää
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

US rifles have one serial number, it's on the receiver, all that number every part crap is a European thing, not ours. It's still the same damn rifle no matter if the numbers match or not, go get one.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Buy one you like, numbers match or not. If it is a shooter, who cares? If it is for your collection you can always upgrade later and sell tis one.. I never pass up a rifle at the right price.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the forum. Read through this and then decide. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... index.html If you mean the numbers are actually different from the receiver number than that's a bit unusual but force matching is how these rifles usually are.
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

If the headspace checked out I would get it..

http://www.okiegauges.com
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

pgaplayerless wrote:Plenty refurb'ed matching M44s can be found. I would not buy a non matching refurb M44
To each his own, but you might be passing up a gem.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Almost all refurbed mosin like what are usually found now have force match numbers including line-outs and such. Perfectly normal on them.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I like matching numbers, but I don't REQUIRE matching numbers. Correct headspace, proper fitting parts, bore, overall appearance, these are what I consider most important. I do prefer the bolt number matches the action, but not a deal breaker if the price is fair.
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

i ordered a M44 from classic recently. i received a 1944 Izhevsk with all matching numbers much to my surprise. all the metal parts look amazing on it. the stock is a bit scuffed up but not bad. i

my plan was to modify it with a polymer stock, and use it as a shooter, but after seeing the condition and it being all matching numbers, i changed my mind to leave it as is. plus joining this board changed my mind too
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Guys just remember there is a difference between original matching and matching after refurb. I see over and over and over again new owners being confused as to the difference and being misled into paying a premium for 'matching' numbers in private sales when they are typical forced matched examples.

Just because a rifle does not have line-outs, over stamped numbers, electropenciled numbers etc, doesnt make it make it truely matching necessarily. The fonts on ALL numbered parts' fonts must match EXACTLY to be original matching. The vast majority of refurbs are forced matched which doesnt not hurt collectibility a bit.

Mis-matched rifles have totally different numbers on parts, not just simple line outs etc. It seems to.be really uncommon to get a mismatched refurb rifle from a distributor.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

racerguy00 wrote:Guys just remember there is a difference between original matching and matching after refurb. I see over and over and over again new owners being confused as to the difference and being misled into paying a premium for 'matching' numbers in private sales when they are typical forced matched examples.

Just because a rifle does not have line-outs, over stamped numbers, electropenciled numbers etc, doesnt make it make it truely matching necessarily. The fonts on ALL numbered parts' fonts must match EXACTLY to be original matching. The vast majority of refurbs are forced matched which doesnt not hurt collectibility a bit.

Mis-matched rifles have totally different numbers on parts, not just simple line outs etc. It seems to.be really uncommon to get a mismatched refurb rifle from a distributor.
Exactly.

"Original matching" numbers are rare and will bring Top dollars compared to the others. (fonts match exactly, they have the prefix letters also. I'm sure you can find one exception, but that is even more rare).

"Forced matching" are common and bring the going prices

"mismatched" are less common, but out there and bring a little less, but not much.

Most all of your refurbs are "Force Matched", meaning they have been re-stamped, or electro-penciled, or lined out to make the parts all match back up after refurb. Fonts don't match and may or may not have prefix letters. If it has electro-pencile, it almost definitely refurbished.

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Depends on how you look at it. Unless it is all "original matching", they are all the same anyway. Just that the arsenals re-matched up mismatched parts is all.

Best chance of finding a "all original matching" is if it is post WWII. Sometimes they didn't bother to refurbish some of these rifles (or Finn captured).

Dolk
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

A large number of the mismatched (missed-force matched, this is) M-44's are likely EEURO or Chinese although some are matched, most aren't. On the other hand, most all of the Russian refurbished or the newer versions ('47's/'48's that didn't need refurbishing) will be force matched. A small number of the Russian M-44's imported from Romania show up from time to time and usually don't match. But these jewels are about as close as you can get to original issued M-44's and many of us find these desirable to have. Same for the 91/30's imported by them. It would be a good idea for you to learn the different country/arsenal markings stamped on the M-44's. You will be able to find that information in the Mosin Information , Videos, and "How to's" (Sub-Forum)section of this forum. Then you can begin research on what these rifles go for on the market - their prices can be much different depending on their overall condition including "matching" examples, date of manufacture, special markings such as DDR stampings and country of manufacture. The Mosin carbine category is fun and extensive and worth taking a little time to understand the basics. :D
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I think we are mostly talking about Russian Refurbished M44's.

All the other countries have their own "quirks" about them. Some are expensive.

Dolk
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

millman wrote:
pgaplayerless wrote:Plenty refurb'ed matching M44s can be found. I would not buy a non matching refurb M44
To each his own, but you might be passing up a gem.
There really isn't anything "gem" category when it comes to M44s. Trials, hex's, Tulas can be readily found in refurb matching state as there were plenty of them made. Gem would be a 1940 Tula M38 :wink:

I do have non matching M44s but they aren't Soviet refubs
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Why do you have to be such an argumentative prick?

C. S. Lewis
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

Post by pgaplayerless »

Nobody is arguing. You stated I might be missing out on a real gem. I was just trying to explain that there is really not much in the M44 variant that i personally see so rare that I must have it even mismatched rather than wait for refurb matched example. That is why not buying mismatched soviet refurbs works for me personally, YMMV.

About the only mismatched refurb M44 I would buy is a recapture but the chance of 43/44 dated M44 being captured by Finns, [SA] marked and then recaptured by soviets is near zero unfortunately