Not So Friendly Experience With A Dealer Today

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
vblue42

Re: Not So Friendly Experience With A Dealer Today

Post by vblue42 »

Guys, all forms 6s or on hold. That means anything firearm related that requires import.
'56 SHE VZ52
'46 Izhevsk M44 Mosin Carbine
'44 Finnish VKT M39 Mosin
'40 Tula 91/30 Finn Capture
'44 K98 Mauser (Yugo Rework)
'43 Swiss K31
'45 Springfield M1 Garand
'43 Remington 1903A3
'43 Long Branch No.4 Mk.1*
'58 Madsen M47
VZ58 Folder With Beaver Barf
New Frontier/KAK AR15 5.56mm
Smith & Wesson M&P9
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

vblue42 wrote:Guys, all forms 6s or on hold. That means anything firearm related that requires import.
So, what is your goal here? Is it to buy a $200 Mosin and try to drive up the price by exacerbating the problems so you can sell it for $300? and make $100? or maybe even more?

Or to ask if the rifle is worth the asking price and "would you buy it from a jerk" if you wanted it bad enough?

Dolk
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

vblue42 wrote:Guys, all forms 6s or on hold. That means anything firearm related that requires import.
Do you have a source for that, that isn't a firearms website? Firearms related websites tend to skew towards the doom, gloom and buy all the guns while you still can version of the story.

If you want to do your own research, it's executive order 13662. The gist of is, individuals who are contributing to the issues in Ukraine are getting financial sanctions against them. So they made a list of a bunch of Russian dudes who you can't deal with and any company that they are involved with you also can't deal with. The arms company on "the list" that concerns us is "KALASHNIKOV CONCERN (a.k.a. CONCERN KALASHNIKOV; a.k.a. IZHEVSKIY MASHINOSTROITEL'NYI ZAVOD OAO; f.k.a. IZHMASH R&D CENTER; f.k.a. JSC NPO IZHMASH; f.k.a. NPO IZHMASH OAO; a.k.a. OJSC CONCERN KALASHNIKOV; f.k.a. OJSC IZHMASH; f.k.a. SCIENTIFIC PRODUCTION ASSOCIATION IZHMASH JOINT STOCK COMPANY),"

Here's the update that shows Kalashnikov added, before that it was a bunch of banks and oil companies. http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center ... 40716.aspx
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

From the stock and hand guard coloring, it appears it may be a Molot. I may be wrong. If it is from an importer other than PW arms, it is worth it. Molots are sold at cheap prices by the big dealers, and don't bring any money at resale. The exception are the first imported Molot M38's, which were snapped up in bunches by speculators and resold for inflated profit for a few months, after the original gun control panic. Will this change if there is a ban? Who knows. But as of right now, the serious collectors rate the Molots well below others.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Who is the importer?
Last edited by redeuce on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Sorry for multiple posts. My I Pad was acting up. As a side note, the J&G every day price for Molot M44's is 199.95, and 149.95 for grade B.
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

I have the rifle in hand now. It is not a Molot. I would never buy a Molot in the first place. It was imported by CAI. It has a very small import mark on the left side of the receiver. Pics will follow later.
Last edited by vblue42 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
'56 SHE VZ52
'43 Swiss K31
'43 Remington 1903A3
'58 Madsen M47
Smith & Wesson M&P9
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

dolk wrote:
So, what is your goal here? Is it to buy a $200 Mosin and try to drive up the price by exacerbating the problems so you can sell it for $300? and make $100? or maybe even more?

Dolk

Are you serious? Assuming imports on these rifles is now over, all available rifles are set to increase from now on. That is not gouging. Gouging is when you buy something cheap durring a known temporary shortage and increase the price knowing the demand will only be temporary until the supply is plentiful again. If there will be no more comming in from here on out, collectable supply and demand will take affect and the collectable price will increase likely fairly quickly. My thought was to purchase the rifle while the price is still reasonable and either trade it or sell it once the price increases to the point I can off load it for something else I would rather have in my collection. There is nothing wrong with that. Thats no different then you selling one of your Revolutionary War pieces for 8k when you spent 600 for it 10 or so years ago. Its offenseive that you would use the word gouge in my direction. However I will say that now that it is in my hands, its looking a lot better to keep in my collection.
Last edited by vblue42 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
'56 SHE VZ52
'43 Swiss K31
'43 Remington 1903A3
'58 Madsen M47
Smith & Wesson M&P9
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

bocephus wrote:
Do you have a source for that, that isn't a firearms website? Firearms related websites tend to skew towards the doom, gloom and buy all the guns while you still can version of the story.
Yes, Tim Harmsen from Military Arms Channel and The Bng Switch. For those of you that dont know, Tim is very well respected in the firearms community especially with manufactures and importers. He has been the source of varification on rumurs over the last year notablily with the recent banning of Russian surplus 5.45x39mm 7N6 ammo. He has many friends in the import business that he gets his info from and he will not post something unless he has certain knowledge.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/all-russia ... s-on-hold/
'56 SHE VZ52
'43 Swiss K31
'43 Remington 1903A3
'58 Madsen M47
Smith & Wesson M&P9
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

vblue42 wrote:
dolk wrote:

Dolk

Are you serious? Assuming imports on these rifles is now over, all available rifles are set to increase from now on. That is not gouging. Gouging is when you buy something cheap durring a known temporary shortage and increase the price knowing the demand will only be temporary until the supply is plentiful again. If there will be no more comming in from here on out, collectable supply and demand will take affect and the collectable price will increase likely fairly quickly. My thought was to purchase the rifle while the price is still reasonable and either trade it or sell it once the price increases to the point I can off load it for something else I would rather have in my collection. There is nothing wrong with that. Thats no different then you selling one of your Revolutionary War pieces for 8k when you spent 600 for it 10 or so years ago. Its offenseive that you would use the word gouge in my direction.
If you re-read my post again, I am asking you what is your goal is? I don't think I said anything about "gouging".

What you conveniently left out is the second part of the statement.
dolk wrote:Or to ask if the rifle is worth the asking price and "would you buy it from a jerk" if you wanted it bad enough?
They are two different things and I would have a separate answer for either one, so climb off the high horse and read the post before flying off the handle.

And yes, I'm serious.

Dolk
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

dolk wrote:so climb off the high horse and read the post before flying off the handle.

Dolk
I dont have a horse and I cant fly. :popgun:
'56 SHE VZ52
'43 Swiss K31
'43 Remington 1903A3
'58 Madsen M47
Smith & Wesson M&P9
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

You say you don't have a horsefly? :wink:
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

LMAO. You make it hard to be pissed at you.
'56 SHE VZ52
'43 Swiss K31
'43 Remington 1903A3
'58 Madsen M47
Smith & Wesson M&P9
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I'll keep my powder dry. The government seems to be a poor source for anything definitive, even with respect to it's own edicts.

But the time of relatively inexpensive refurb M91/30s is coming to an end in any event, and I'm glad that I pressed hard to put together my collection when they were somewhat affordable. If I have to spend north of $200 for a rifle, I'll focus on those still on my "list," that require a substantial investment. :)
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

Pics are up. check it out and let me know what ya think.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21965
'56 SHE VZ52
'43 Swiss K31
'43 Remington 1903A3
'58 Madsen M47
Smith & Wesson M&P9
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

$195 is NOT the going rate for these rifles, especially one in this condition. If I had been there I would have asked to see the bore. If it looked good, I'd extend my hand across the counter and say "deal". The handshake would have made all the difference in the world. In this situation, rather than ask if that were his lowest price, I'd opt for, "can you throw the tax in?". I see you bought it. Wise move :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

Yeah I beleive this was the issue with my friend. He didnt bother to build any kind of rappore with the dealer. He just went right to grinding. I was in there the day before just looking around and bullshiting with the owner. Needless to say, he cut me 5 bucks off the sling when I went in. I didnt even ask, he offered.
'56 SHE VZ52
'43 Swiss K31
'43 Remington 1903A3
'58 Madsen M47
Smith & Wesson M&P9
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Friendly dealer or not, I would probably have came home with that carbine. Nice looking Mosin. There is 1 local gun shop that I pick up an occasional milsurp from. I always ask them if they can do better on the price. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't, but i've never gotten upset because they said no.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
gurn

Post by gurn »

Every one is different. I have dealt with countless sellers and they all have there own style. Some you would think want to be your best friend while others are strictly businessmen. I have never let one with an attitude keep me from buying something if I wanted it. Nice rifle btw. From you pics it looks like he has a nice selection of military rifles. Any other deals on the rack?
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

Who knows what will happen with importing more Mosins. Time will tell.
My first question is this, out of the millions of Mosins made and imported already,
how many rifles are currently sitting in warehouses in the U.S. for Century,
PW Arms and others that are yet to be sold to the American public. That number
will go a long way to determining when and if there will be a shortage and price increase
in the near future.