Not So Friendly Experience With A Dealer Today

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
vblue42

Not So Friendly Experience With A Dealer Today

Post by vblue42 »

Ok so we all know there will be no more imports of Mosins from here on out due to the sanctions of the Obama Administration. So i was at a local dealer today and had a friend meet me there to look at a very nice M44. The friend has been wanting to get his first Mosin for a while and I found this rifle yesterday and imediatly thought of him. The rifle is a 1946 Izhevsk, loos to be unissued, all serial matching but with an elctro penciled matching bolt. The stock doesnt appear to have been refinished in any way and the bore is brand new. The price he has on the rifle is 195.00. When my friend arrived he asked the guy if that was the lowest he could go on the rifle and the dealer gave an emphatic "YES" The dealer then stated now we do have the accsessories seperatly like the sling and the cleaning kit and so forth. My friend asked how much was the sling. The dealer responded 24.95 My friend asked if he bought it today would he throw in the sling. The dealer responded with an emphatic "NO" My friend told him thank you and we both left. Now, the price on the rifle is not bad and is about the going price right now. My friend is pissed but Im considering purchasing the rifle at the stickered price but the dealers attitude towards my friend has rubbed me the wrong way. I dont really want it or need it. It might become a good investment to me if these things totally dry up with no more imports. What do you guys think of the whole situation and what I should do.
'56 SHE VZ52
'46 Izhevsk M44 Mosin Carbine
'44 Finnish VKT M39 Mosin
'40 Tula 91/30 Finn Capture
'44 K98 Mauser (Yugo Rework)
'43 Swiss K31
'45 Springfield M1 Garand
'43 Remington 1903A3
'43 Long Branch No.4 Mk.1*
'58 Madsen M47
VZ58 Folder With Beaver Barf
New Frontier/KAK AR15 5.56mm
Smith & Wesson M&P9
Titanium Hammer

Re: Not So Friendly Experience With A Dealer Today

Post by Titanium Hammer »

I wouldn't be so fast to say that there will be no more Mosin's arriving in the US. Molot is on the list of recently banned companies however there are still Mosin's coming out of Ukraine which shouldn't be affected by the ban. Now whether or not there are anymore M44's or 38's left in Ukraine is another story. To my knowledge, the Molot M44's are the only ones that have been coming into the country the past year and a half or so. Now, on to your question about the dealer and what you should do. First, the price you were quoted for the rifle was a pretty decent price imo & I probably would have picked it up if it's as nice as you say. Second, it really didn't sound to me like the dealer was that big of a jerk. Maybe I'm just used to gruff dealers but I wouldn't let that dissuade me from purchasing this piece. In 10 years you will have a rifle & probably no memory of this dealer so go for it.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I agree with TH. Your friend legitimately asked questions and received legitimate answers. I'm not sure of the tone taken by this particular dealer, but this is business. Unless he was conveying a real FU attitude, I'd look at this from a purely commercial standpoint.

I also agree that it's early to conclude that the supply of refurbs is about to dry up. That event has been the Great Unknown for some time now.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Titanium Hammer wrote:I wouldn't be so fast to say that there will be no more Mosin's arriving in the US. Molot is on the list of recently banned companies however there are still Mosin's coming out of Ukraine which shouldn't be affected by the ban. Now whether or not there are anymore M44's or 38's left in Ukraine is another story. To my knowledge, the Molot M44's are the only ones that have been coming into the country the past year and a half or so. Now, on to your question about the dealer and what you should do. First, the price you were quoted for the rifle was a pretty decent price imo & I probably would have picked it up if it's as nice as you say. Second, it really didn't sound to me like the dealer was that big of a jerk. Maybe I'm just used to gruff dealers but I wouldn't let that dissuade me from purchasing this piece. In 10 years you will have a rifle & probably no memory of this dealer so go for it.
Molot is not the only company sending Mosns out of Russia. Tulsky has been the company exporting all the sniper since April. They are not on the so called list.

I don't remember seeing Molots name on the list either. Who said they are on the list? Anyone know where to find that?

Dolk
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

It's my understanding that if imports come out of the Russian rebel controlled area of Ukraine that will be considered banned as well. Anyone know what area of Ukraine these things come out of?
'56 SHE VZ52
'43 Swiss K31
'43 Remington 1903A3
'58 Madsen M47
Smith & Wesson M&P9
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Many people come across different then they really are so maybe the dealer was having a tough day or something? Dealing with the public day after day can be quite a strain and make you gruff
and unfriendly to a point. First off a few comments the things he is selling to you for extra money came with the rifle and are figured in his purchase price from the distributer. So he is gouging you for them to make more money. Find a place that will sell the whole package to you for about $220 or so, that according to my sources is what they should cost you. His presentation of this will be the last of them is quite wrong as they are just coming in from different sources right now. Many of the Molot rifles I have seen are not in great looking stocks and may have never been refinished but for the most part they are EP'd matching and the bores are fair to great. I guess what I am saying is unless for some reason you have your heart set on this rifle make the effort to look elsewhere to see what else is out there. Bill :wink:
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

If it was in the condition you say, and I was in the market, I would have bought it. And as much as it would have rub me the wrong way, if I was treated bad, I would not burn any bridges for this one time meeting. Maybe the guy was having a bad day. Who knows. Let the dealer keep the extras. He probably doesn't have anything else that will go with them. Maybe after he sits on them for a while, he will sell them cheap down the road. For the most part, these accessories are pretty cheap. And not used all that often anyway. :2cents:
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I've yet to see this "list" that includes Molot and Tulsky. Obama named about 6 to 12 companies he was cutting off, but that list did not include Molot or Tulsky thatbI saw.

This "list" seems to grow every day on the internet. I don't think it does us any good just saying "he said, that he said that he heard".

If someone knows where "the list" is, pleas post it for us please.

I'm with Bill on the rifle, buy it somewhere else if you can get a better deal.

Dolk
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

dolk wrote:
Titanium Hammer wrote:I wouldn't be so fast to say that there will be no more Mosin's arriving in the US. Molot is on the list of recently banned companies however there are still Mosin's coming out of Ukraine which shouldn't be affected by the ban. Now whether or not there are anymore M44's or 38's left in Ukraine is another story. To my knowledge, the Molot M44's are the only ones that have been coming into the country the past year and a half or so. Now, on to your question about the dealer and what you should do. First, the price you were quoted for the rifle was a pretty decent price imo & I probably would have picked it up if it's as nice as you say. Second, it really didn't sound to me like the dealer was that big of a jerk. Maybe I'm just used to gruff dealers but I wouldn't let that dissuade me from purchasing this piece. In 10 years you will have a rifle & probably no memory of this dealer so go for it.
Molot is not the only company sending Mosns out of Russia. Tulsky has been the company exporting all the sniper since April. They are not on the so called list.

I don't remember seeing Molots name on the list either. Who said they are on the list? Anyone know where to find that?

Dolk
It's my understanding that Molot is under Izhmash & Izhmash has now become the Concern Kalashnikov.
http://modernrifleman.net/2014/07/16/co ... ions-list/
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

dolk wrote:I've yet to see this "list" that includes Molot and Tulsky. Obama named about 6 to 12 companies he was cutting off, but that list did not include Molot or Tulsky thatbI saw.

This "list" seems to grow every day on the internet. I don't think it does us any good just saying "he said, that he said that he heard".

If someone knows where "the list" is, pleas post it for us please.

I'm with Bill on the rifle, buy it somewhere else if you can get a better deal.

Dolk
Here is a list that specifies Tulsky and Concern Kalashnikov/Izhmash. I was trying to find he status of another CM2 target rimfire :bang: . Of course, it's on the list :very mad:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... -imported/
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

List or no list, I think the dealers price was fair if you are looking to buy an M44. I don't think I would sell mine for less than that, either, and I am not trying to make a living at it. If he was more of a jerk than required for the situation.......I deal with that kind of person once in a while. I wouldn't let that bother me too much. If I want the item and the price is right, it really doesn't matter that someone else can't be civil. :2cents:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

As a general rule I do not do business with assholes, easier that way, I avoid prison for strangling them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

The 8
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

Gentleman some of you may not be aware but all Form 6s comming out of Russia and possibly eastern Ukraine are on infinat hold until the ATF can get clarification from the Obama Admin what exactly is covered. That means as of yesterday no more weapons out of Russia period. So that means once the Obama Admin makes it clear to the AFT they dont want no more weapons imported from Russia then the on hold will turn into a ban. And I dont think any of us really beleive this is about hurting Russia economically and the impending war in the Ukraine, do we. Now, as per my concern that there will be no more Mosins imported from here on out it stands to reason that the rifle I am referring to might increase in value quite a bit over the next 6 months to a year or so wouldnt it? I dont really wont the riflle amd am not in the market for another M44. This one however is very nice and at what I believe is a good price. So, if it were you based on the current circumstances would you buy this rifle? Also, per the pics below does that look like a Beach stock? Have any of you ever seen an M44 in a stock like this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'56 SHE VZ52
'43 Swiss K31
'43 Remington 1903A3
'58 Madsen M47
Smith & Wesson M&P9
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

djbuck1 wrote:I agree with TH. Your friend legitimately asked questions and received legitimate answers. I'm not sure of the tone taken by this particular dealer, but this is business. Unless he was conveying a real FU attitude, I'd look at this from a purely commercial standpoint.

I also agree that it's early to conclude that the supply of refurbs is about to dry up. That event has been the Great Unknown for some time now.
I agree. Actually, that price is not bad on the M44. Go get it & order the sling & accessories online.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

Im picking it up today as soon as they open. Will post pics likely tonight.
'56 SHE VZ52
'43 Swiss K31
'43 Remington 1903A3
'58 Madsen M47
Smith & Wesson M&P9
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Say hello to the $350 1943 Izhevsk M91/30 wartime expedient finish with no extras included Mosin a little sooner than expected. It's coming.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Sounds the same as playing the stock market to me. Speculation (for me) is not a good reason to buy a refurbished Mosin. You may be right, but we had a ban on Russian Mosins up until a year or so ago when Molot brought in the first snipers from Russia. I don't see anything on the list of banned companies that has anything to do with the Ukraine. Why would we want to hurt their economy with a "Fake" ban? There are a lot of Mosins still in the Ukraine from what we know. They slowed down due to the prices we want to pay was too low for them. Now the prices went up, we have seen some get into the country this last year or so.

I don't know, you could be right.....or you could be wrong. Price speculation is not my game at all. One thing I know for sure....this is how false shortages start. Ammo, black rifles, even Mosins have suffered this fate under the current leader. All have turned out false and the prices and availability has reversed. Then someone does something and the sky is falling again. Then off we go again. The only people who usually benefit is the manufactures. Oh, and the anti gun lobby. They probably laugh their ass' off every time they do it.

My guidelines are always....If I want it, I buy it. If you are into gun investments and speculation, then it is a safe bet that most of the firearms are going to go up in value ..... eventually (even Mosins). Mosin rifles were $79 only 5 or 6 years ago. You could buy them for that price in Big 5 even. I'm a collector, not a speculator. If I had bought a crate of Mosins at $79 each 7 years ago, they would be worth about $39 each today. I stay away from speculation. I'm not usually that good at it. I will say, I have 12 Revolutionary war muskets. Some of them I paid around $800 for them 20 years ago. They run around $8,000 each now. And I have a Snaphence made in the early 1600's I paid $650 for. It's worth around...well, no one can give me a good price because they are that rare. So I guess I have done OK in that field. But it has to do with appreciation, not speculation for me. Each to there own, but I doubt anyone is going to get rich on investing in one Mosin (nor broke).

If you want it....buy it.

Just my opinion.

Dolk
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

I'm buying it.
'56 SHE VZ52
'43 Swiss K31
'43 Remington 1903A3
'58 Madsen M47
Smith & Wesson M&P9
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

I don't see anywhere in the executive order stating molot is banned...