1943 bnz K98k with Rune

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Emdawg

1943 bnz K98k with Rune

Post by Emdawg »

Here is a 98k I will be making a trade for. All matching numbers except for the bolt, which matches itself. Bore is okay, no pitting. My only reservation about it is the waffemat on above the bnz. Never seen one of those stamps on one with the lightning rune on it. :?:

Stock and front site are correctly marked, but I forgot to photo them.

Sorry if the appearance seems bad. My lighting is terrible as always.

What do you guys think?

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Belgium nagant

Re: 1943 bnz K98k with Rune

Post by Belgium nagant »

It's a fake SS-rune, should be right in the middle between Maker code and year.
Seems to be forced made to match

I have many k98 and a few with SS rune but none with the SS rune like this. Also the front band nummer looks strange
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

The siegrune looks over-sized, and the serial numbers show too much variation, as if each number has been individually hand-stamped. The alignment looks different on different pieces as does the depth of some of the strikes. Compare the two "7s" on the upper barrel band.

Humped.
Belgium nagant

Post by Belgium nagant »

Just checked with my bnz rifle, this is a complete fake.

Not sure what you are going to trade in, but this k98 is just a shooter not a collectable rifle.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Now that I am at a computer with better resolution, I also see what appears to be a smaller light strike siegrune under the large one. It's almost as if the humper changed his mind and decided to really "sell" the point with a larger rune.

The stamped numbers are a mess. It's not even a well executed fake, IMO.
Last edited by djbuck1 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Mauser K98k with SS heritage is the most faked Mauser, if not the most faked milsurp in history. If it comes cheap then it's a shooter for you, or a rifle to beat up while reenacting.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

I had my suspicions, but I wasn't sure. I posted this on K98k Forum and Calguns and they had the same conclusions.

Oh well. :)
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

Well, I went over the examples of ones the members of the K98K Forum had. The only real bits of evidence stating mine is a fake is the over-sized rune, series letter suffix and the waA waffemats.

The serial numbers look fine to me. Theirs had some interesting looking numbers. :|
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

Belgium nagant wrote:It's a fake SS-rune, should be right in the middle between Maker code and year.
Seems to be forced made to match

I have many k98 and a few with SS rune but none with the SS rune like this. Also the front band number looks strange
One of the main posters had a few runed K98's and one of his had the rune almost right on the "bnz."

Sorry for the triple post. :thumbsup:
Belgium nagant

Post by Belgium nagant »

Germans where very secure on their rifles, an ss-rune going to the maker code is impossible to be original...