Took the GF and the dog to the range today.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
raydogg30

Took the GF and the dog to the range today.

Post by raydogg30 »

Got a few days off and set up some time at the range. The day was warm, sunny and we're noticing that the pup isn't the least bit gun shy. Awesome!
The GF is a total trooper, she shot the '39 91/30 with a rolled up towel between her shoulder and the gun, but shot it none the less. She's pretty great. (Awesome shot too). Scary.

Finnish M24 "Lotta Rifle"
1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
"Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, and a tattoo..."

evildog

Re: Took the GF and the dog to the range today.

Post by evildog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Excellent! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: How well did that staple gun shoot? :lol:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

That is amazing that dog was so good with the rifle being fired! Our neighbors big rough and tumble Siberian Husky heads through the doggie door into the bedroom and hides under the bed. My cat kind of doesn't care if he is in the reclining position asleep he barely opens an eye to the Mosin being fired in my driveway range. The sound of gunfire is very often heard in my neighborhood as there is a skeet range within walking distance and two of my neighbors have backyard ranges. I guess with the noise being often of rifles and pistols being fired the most of them get used to it. Bill :D
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Hey Ray,

Good hearing protection, but how about the eye protection? :attn:
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Wouldn't that be really loud for a dog?
raydogg30

Post by raydogg30 »

He's just a pup, he has only been around guns about three times so far (he's 5 months old). I guess we're just lucky.

@ joeinthehills, she did have eye pro on while shooting, this was before the shooting, more of a "pose" picture. :thumbsup:
1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M91/30

Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Excellent! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: How well did that staple gun shoot? :lol:
The muzzle is not pointed down range. :biggrin:

I too am amazed the dog wasn't scared of the loud noise.
Last edited by Lee-online on Mon May 12, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kollaa kestää
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

zeebill wrote:That is amazing that dog was so good with the rifle being fired! Our neighbors big rough and tumble Siberian Husky heads through the doggie door into the bedroom and hides under the bed. My cat kind of doesn't care if he is in the reclining position asleep he barely opens an eye to the Mosin being fired in my driveway range. The sound of gunfire is very often heard in my neighborhood as there is a skeet range within walking distance and two of my neighbors have backyard ranges. I guess with the noise being often of rifles and pistols being fired the most of them get used to it. Bill :D
What could be better? A day at the range with your two best friends. Yeah I have the opposite problem. My dog is a Rat Terrier that was my neighbor's best squirrel hunting dog and can not be with us when we shoot. As soon as she sees a firearm she thinks it's time to hunt. I have to lock her in the house, which she hates because she's an outside dog. If I don't put her up she runs down range looking for the squirrels she thinks we're shooting at. She's completely fearless no matter the size of the firearm or animal. I also have to put her up if someone's hunting behind the house and even if my neighbors are just target shooting. If I don't she's right there with them getting in the way.
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

raydogg30 wrote:He's just a pup, he has only been around guns about three times so far (he's 5 months old). I guess we're just lucky.

@ joeinthehills, she did have eye pro on while shooting, this was before the shooting, more of a "pose" picture. :thumbsup:

Attaboy just want to ensure those beautiful eyes keep looking @ you! :thumbsup:
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

I must admit that putting 20 to 30 rounds down range with any full scale 7.62 rifle cartridge will leave a bruise on my shoulder. I have to use a shooting pad for extended shooting.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I saw this post and almost didn't open it as I thought I might be witness to a crime. As it turned out everybody came back and they had fun too.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Longcolt44 wrote:I saw this post and almost didn't open it as I thought I might be witness to a crime.
:lol: :lol:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Longcolt44 wrote:I saw this post and almost didn't open it as I thought I might be witness to a crime. As it turned out everybody came back and they had fun too.
I had a different take on the "subject" title.

Being a guy getting a little older, I had no idea what a "GF" was, so I had to look and see. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks!

Now, I don't remember what to do with a GF now, but if I think about it a while, it might come back to me! (being married 40 years this July) dolk ;mywink;
4095fanatic

Post by 4095fanatic »

You know you're a gun guy when you zoom in on that picture...

...to get a better look at the AR on the table. Lol.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Since my wife won't have anything to do with guns, I am always telling her I am going to look for a GF while I am at the range. She knows me better though. And she remembers what I told her long ago. I told her she doesn't need worry about me cheating. Why would I want to disappoint 2 women. That always gets me a good eye-roll. :P
Raydogg, you got a good looking girl, good looking dog, good looking rifles, and a good looking picnic table shooting bench.
raydogg30

Post by raydogg30 »

Thank you bunkysdad!

I am pretty lucky in those areas. The AR is actually a Bushmaster that I picked up from some uneducated tattoo artist in Austin, TX. He said "I took this gun as trade for a $500 tattoo I did, so I need $500 for it, but I lost one of the CLIPS". I hate when people call mags, clips. Anyway, moving on. I told him I'd pick up a "CLIP" at Cabela's on my way home, if he'd go $480, he did, and I got a $480 Bushy with an aluminum receiver. I stripped the entire gun, duracoated it, put on 45 degree BUIS and a 2-7x32 vortex scope. Cheap fun, but not as fun as a mosin to be honest. Try as I may, an AR will never have the character of a wood gun, it's just not possible. I love all guns equally though.
1924 Izhevsk Ex-Dragoon
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M91/30

clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Well, manufactures and retailers will have to stop calling them clips also....but who am I to say???
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savage17 ... l+Products
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

clayshooter2 wrote:Well, manufactures and retailers will have to stop calling them clips also....but who am I to say???
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Savage17 ... l+Products
I run into this type of thing a lot. Everyone else is calling what you linked to a "magazine" and not a clip including the manufacturer, Savage. https://store.savagearms.com/magazines- ... tml?cat=46 I would say the reason the Cabela's listing says "clip" instead of "magazine" is the person that input the language for the ad doesn't know the difference. Most of the time, especially with larger companies and chain stores like Cabela's they hire people that don't necessarily know anything about the products they're dealing with.