Finnish m28 ski trooper mosin nagant rifle m39 m27

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =414909696

Bought this one as a Starter Rifle, for $400.00

As you cab see Bubba has been working on the Stock. How do I re-do the Stock and how do I tarnish or dis-color the Sling Slots???
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
catcracker

Re: Finnish m28 ski trooper mosin nagant rifle m39 m27

Post by catcracker »

Too bad about the stock. Not much you can do. You can't cheat age. It will probably take another 70 years for so to get some of the look back.
Nice rifle though. :bravo: :bravo:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You leave it as is. The damage has been done and there is no correct fix. Bubba has already had his way with this rifle. You may spend the next 50 years trying to find another correct stock. Sometimes there is a reason nobody is bidding on a particular item. :b sad: :b sad:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Longcolt44 wrote:You leave it as is. The damage has been done and there is no correct fix. Bubba has already had his way with this rifle. You may spend the next 50 years trying to find another correct stock. Sometimes there is a reason nobody is bidding on a particular item. :b sad: :b sad:
:pointup: Exactly. Leave it be & enjoy it for what it is...
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

To me, it doesn't look damaged too bad. Interesting to me that the grease and metal still hasn't been cleaned up, making me wonder when the stock was sanded. No way of knowing of course, at least nobody started cutting on it, and it was priced accordingly.
TrashcanTomCat

Post by TrashcanTomCat »

Yeah thats too bad bubba got his heavy hands on it first. I sure was tempted to get it myself!! I am happy to see someone get it that will love it and take care of it.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

The seller is a member on that other popular forum. I saw the rifle posted there, he didn't keep it very long! Hopefully the bore is nice, and it's a good shooter, since that would be perfect for it with the bubba'd stock. Although it looks sanded, I'd take that over a stock that had a new finish installed any day!
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

Regardless, it's still a cool gun
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

As far as bubba jobs go that is not too bad.. Still a very cool rifle, that I would love to have in my collection. Nice score !!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

OK I'll ask. :oops: What's the deal with the extra slots ? I read where it said for ski troop use but what advantage does that do ?
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

JoeR wrote:OK I'll ask. :oops: What's the deal with the extra slots ? I read where it said for ski troop use but what advantage does that do ?
They were made that way so they could be stowed on their backs and easily brought into play when they were needed.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

You know what Dave there is something else other than what you mentioned that is sort of wrong about that rifle and shown in the pictures. Can you pick it out? The answer may bring some arguments about my point I am bringing up by the way. Bill ;mywink;
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Bill, can I answer? I am guessing it is the cleaning rod. Looks like a 91/30 rod.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

bunkysdad wrote:Bill, can I answer? I am guessing it is the cleaning rod. Looks like a 91/30 rod.

No that is acceptable in my book.

The little number behind the zero on the left side that is shown in the pictures is in the 8,000 range. The little zero is thought to be connected with the Civil Guard heritage of the rifle by the way. But the accepted range of these rifles while subject to changing stocks on rifles is said to be 6,000 and that is accepted by most people to be the serial number which is 2,000 or so beyond the 6,000 made. Now many people will say that range should be very loosely interpreted and while I can buy that for the price asked I want no questions in my mind. I want no questions in my mind for that price that the action is in the accepted range and is original to that stock or I am not interested. Years ago I saw 3 stocks in a gun show and bought them all for trading fodder. For all I know that rifle may have been one of them! Too many loose ends there for my blood at that price. Just my personal observations for what they are worth and for sure no one has to agree with me. Bill :2cents: