Range day. Good, bad and ugly.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jimpierce7

Range day. Good, bad and ugly.

Post by jimpierce7 »

it was a dreary one when I got there.

Oh it was lots of fun no matter how I slice it!!

Disappointingly fun. Almost an oxymoron. Not quite though. The M44. I think maybe it needs a really good cleaning? Something. With out the bayonet out, I didn't even hit the target. No where. I could see I was hitting close, by the dust cloud from behind the target. So I put up the bayonet. I at least hit the paper!!

Then I took out the DDR MO 91/30. I was anxious to shoot this one. Real excited I was. So, so, so disappointing. Not because it didn't shoot straight...........

it did do that. Alas. The rounds stuck. Had to poke them out with my cleaning rod. I got some cleaning to do here too. I only got to shoot it twice. The other holes are from the M44. It got a little better by the time I stopped.

So out came the M27. I know it shoots good!! A buck fifty a round it better shoot good right?

Four different groups of five here. Pretty sweet!! Only one thing.

I was aiming at the bottom target!! :chuckles: First ten rounds I had the rear site miss adjusted. I got a good laugh.

Then the Remington M91. I'll be danged if I can get a good group with this beast. I do love to shoot it though. Anyhow. I just can't get a smooth pull on the trigger. I put 20 rounds down range at this target. Well crap.

When I go next time I will start at the 50 yard range for the sake of the M44 then move to the 100 yard. Maybe. I got my drill. Time to clean.
Lee-online

Re: Range day. Good, bad and ugly.

Post by Lee-online »

Was you using surplus in the DDR?

Any day at the range is a good day. :thumbsup:
Kollaa kestää
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

"The rounds stuck. Had to poke them out with my cleaning rod" :beek:

I trust you mean the shell casings failed to extract............. :vconfused:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

I was wondering if you meant the bullet stuck too?!
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Miller Tyme wrote:"The rounds stuck. Had to poke them out with my cleaning rod" :beek:

I trust you mean the shell casings failed to extract............. :vconfused:

oh yes. Yes sir. That is what I meant. Not, NOT an unspent round. Sorry for the scare folks. Yes I am using surplus rounds in the DDR. As I am now soaking the chamber in Kroil, I can already say she has a very dirty chamber. As my wife is in the tub, :biggrin: I used the Windex soaked wad to pre-clean the chamber. With out glasses I could see copper sparkles. To which I put on the glasses to make sure I was seeing what I saw. :shock:
The wire brush is hooked up to the drill and will be spinning the chamber clean. I know next Sunday is Mother's day but I really want another day out (now) with the DDR and M44.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Could be a weak extractor problem also, but sticky bolt chamber problems are nothing new. Drill it with the shotgun brush, 0000 steel wool, and JB bore paste.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

It worked last time!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Dang Jim, a minute-of-elephant Remington?
Just kidding. Keep at it bud.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

jimpierce7 wrote:It worked last time!
I have about 300 vehicles that worked the last time also :chuckles: however now thing have changed. Ammo can continue to make chambers filthy, you need to clean the chamber regularly as part of a normal cleaning routine. Not every time with the drill of course, but with a proper chamber brush.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I meant it worked last time on another rifle. Once I do this big clean I do PMS after shooting by scrubbing out the chamber as well as the barrel.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The ammo worked in another rifle? Yea, that's typical, remember that with Russian rifles variation is the norm. Slight variation in the very size of the chamber, the ammo, and every other part of the rifle. Not enough to matter most of the time, but combine a slightly tighter chamber with some crud, and steel case ammo, then you have a problem.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Clean, Clean and then clean again your chamber. Try the shotgun brush on an electric drill and some JB Bore paste, (once) and really clean the area out. Also get some LOOOng Q-Tips and get any crap out of the inner 'recess' areas. Regardless of accuracy, sticking should be eliminated.

Lastly I have grown to LOVE Frog Lube (not a French product or sexual preference reference)....the stuff just works and keeps on working.....amazing product.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I got huge amounts of crud out. Besides the brush, I use the JB bore paste with Kroil on a .410 mop. The M27 I have o use brass in. Any of the steel case ammo sticks. Like I was told, most likely the tolerances are just too tight for steel. The surplus ammo works fine in all my other rifles. Even the 1896 M91 which was just as dirty as the DDR was.

Hard part is, now I have to wait until next weekend!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I understand why most of you tend to run steel cased ammo, availability, but I stick to brass cased ammo and have little or no problems with chamber sticking. I mean with Winter weather I have just started shooting again but I honestly have not used a drill on a chamber since over two years ago. Using Kroil to hot clean at the range, brass cased ammo only, and concentrating on only chambering a round when I am ready to shoot has just about killed any case sticking I ever had which was not much to begin with. Maybe it is because I clean so aggressively at and before I go to the range but stuck casings have been a thing of the past for years. My mind set is such that I do not believe any human being with normal strength and ability to go shooting can destroy rifling or even hurt it with all the methods and equipment we use normally. I mean how many of you go shooting more than once a week? Add up a months shooting and how much wear and tear do you think you can put on a steel fire hardened barrel with a brass or stainless steel brush? I have never seen noticeable wear I put on a bore in my entire life! Dang that is 70 years now folks! I have never shot or cleaned into oblivion a single bore! How in the heck do you even think you can?

These are old for the most part war machines made to last through far more than we can put them through, I do have faith in that and clean accordingly hard. Granted we do get a hold of bores with a great deal of wear at times and if you think what they have been through do you really think we will duplicate that? Even an apparently rough or worn bore will get better with our skilled and careful cleaning as many of us have proven. I always run everything I have ever owned hard and fast but I have found over the years they will take that if you only care for them like they were meant to need. I raced almost 40 years and I never blew an engine, I hurt them through my stupidity but never destroyed one! Care and proper maintenance works as we all have proven. Bill :wink:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Now I just know you aren't planning to blow off mothers day in lieu of heading to the shooting range. I highly don't recommend that!
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

jimpierce7 wrote:it was a dreary one when I got there.

What range is that. I have seen it in numerous YouTube videos. It is very nice.
Last edited by vblue42 on Mon May 05, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
'56 SHE VZ52
'46 Izhevsk M44 Mosin Carbine
'44 Finnish VKT M39 Mosin
'40 Tula 91/30 Finn Capture
'44 K98 Mauser (Yugo Rework)
'43 Swiss K31
'45 Springfield M1 Garand
'43 Remington 1903A3
'43 Long Branch No.4 Mk.1*
'58 Madsen M47
VZ58 Folder With Beaver Barf
New Frontier/KAK AR15 5.56mm
Smith & Wesson M&P9
vblue42

Post by vblue42 »

Holly antique Mosin Negant batman!

'56 SHE VZ52
'46 Izhevsk M44 Mosin Carbine
'44 Finnish VKT M39 Mosin
'40 Tula 91/30 Finn Capture
'44 K98 Mauser (Yugo Rework)
'43 Swiss K31
'45 Springfield M1 Garand
'43 Remington 1903A3
'43 Long Branch No.4 Mk.1*
'58 Madsen M47
VZ58 Folder With Beaver Barf
New Frontier/KAK AR15 5.56mm
Smith & Wesson M&P9
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

118 year old rifle. How many wars? 5? 6? And it still shoots really well. I have to agree Bill. I don't think I can hurt it cleaning it. Which I actually enjoy doing.
The range is Field Sports park just south of San Jose.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. I wish I could spend a few days at any range. I see a nice 3 shot group up in the right corner under the staple for the Remington :shock: :thumbsup: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I'll figure that dang thing out yet! I swear I will!