Gander Mtn. Report.....sticker shock!!!!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
B24

Gander Mtn. Report.....sticker shock!!!!

Post by B24 »

I was passing through Tuscaloosa Al. today and decided to check them out.

Type 53 Chinese $199
M28 $849
Russian SKS $1099 (this was a BBQ paint refurb)
440 round spam can $130

All of their Mil Surps looked to be way over priced. They did not have any 91/30 refurbs. I did
stop at a place called Guns & Ammo and they had about 45 91/30 refurbs in the racks, mostly
41,42 & 43 Ishevsks. I did find a 42 Tula in a war time stock with brass end caps on the hand guard
And the rifle spoke to me but $191 out the door was a little too much I thought.
Last edited by B24 on Fri May 02, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeebill

Re: Gander Mtn. Report.....sticker schlock!!!!!!

Post by zeebill »

You did good! You walked away! Now if more people did that and I think they are maybe these people will get the message. Bill :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gander Mtn. Report.....sticker shock!!!!

Post by bunkysdad »

I would have been out in under 5 minutes.
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

When I started looking for mine I went to gander mountain since that's where my co worker got his. $179.99 all very rough shape, all 91/30. So I went to fleet farm. Felt better for a very nice condition 91/30 @ $139. Went beck early last week and they were down to $124.99....wanted to get another, ::)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:shock:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I am headed to Cabela's in about an hour. I am buying something. Not sure what? The last time I went to look at reloading components and walked out with a Westinghouse M91. This time I am looking for a Mosin, so maybe I'll get some ammo or reloading components. :P
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Prices seem to have become quite volatile of late.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

The one they are building by the office should open soon. Between their prices and only having to go to the office once or twice a month it shouldn't keep me broke. But I will have to keep an eye on their sale prices.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:The one they are building by the office should open soon. Between their prices and only having to go to the office once or twice a month it shouldn't keep me broke. But I will have to keep an eye on their sale prices.
Opening weekend here, they flooded the market with 22lr so be on the lookout. I think it shut down the scam 22lr resellers for a while. As for their milsurps, way overpriced here but I will keep looking for a sale.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Cabela's here stuck at $170, virtually all '42-'43 Izhevsks, many of which have been on the rack for over a month.
zidave

Post by zidave »

First off, just want to say "welcome to my town". Hope you did enjoy your time here even though you went to the worst gun shop in town.

Gander is pricey too but sometimes they have a good sale.
Right before Christmas I picked up a 1938 91/30 for $129 after a $20 MiR.

Hope you come back sometime, we have a nice outdoor range that I love to shoot at.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
Ctrelok-2ID

Post by Ctrelok-2ID »

When I went in about a week ago to get ammo (first time in a long time that I was able to get the "range safe" soft point ammo), and saw their $180+ prices on 1942/43 Ishevsk 91/30's, I felt like I got a good deal on my 1929 Tula for $20 or so less. I also wanted to get some .22 ammo for the range, but they only had one brand of "el-cheapo" .22 ammo (a couple of guys who were griping about it, were saying it was not very good quality ammo - it was very susceptible to jamming, and the casing was "brass colored steel" - I got some to try anyway (at $2.50-$3.00 for 50, it was worth at least one try).
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Welcome zidave. What is a mir? Don't tell me Alabama has California tendencies... :roll:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

My 91/30 came from Fleet Farm, too. They recently discontinued carrying the Chinese T53 rifles and sold them off for $99.
They haven't had the 440 round spam cans in a very long time. A local LGS has PW Arms 91/30's on hand for $189 :big shock: but the
ones that they still have haven't sold in quite a while. All early 40's models and mostly in rough condition.
We have a new Cabela's opening on May 15th. A friend got a job there and they are having a pre opening
friends and family night a few days before. A chance to be one of the first people in a new Cabela's and an
employee discount on top of it...yes please!
zidave

Post by zidave »

desdem12 wrote:Welcome zidave. What is a mir? Don't tell me Alabama has California tendencies... :roll:
Sorry. MiR = mail-in-rebate
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Cosmoline guy wrote:My 91/30 came from Fleet Farm, too. They recently discontinued carrying the Chinese T53 rifles and sold them off for $99.
They haven't had the 440 round spam cans in a very long time. A local LGS has PW Arms 91/30's on hand for $189 :big shock: but the
ones that they still have haven't sold in quite a while. All early 40's models and mostly in rough condition.
We have a new Cabela's opening on May 15th. A friend got a job there and they are having a pre opening
friends and family night a few days before. A chance to be one of the first people in a new Cabela's and an
employee discount on top of it...yes please!
This could be an extraordinary opportunity. Listen to your inner Voice is my advice, as this has the potential for satisfaction or regret for years to come!
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Speaking of Cabela's, Buffalo, NY is getting one! First Cabela's in this area. Actually, first one to be closer than a 5+ hour drive one way. Hopefully they will help bring down prices at some of the other local joints when their business gets robbed by Cabela's. Especially with reloading components (I hope!) The company I work for is polishing the concrete floors. So far so good. I think the store is slated to be done sometime in June.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

The local Gander Mountain has had a rack full of 91/30 since before Christmas. Slowly selling a few, priced a $179, Ammo seems high also. Was in a local Dunham's and they have a few 91/30($199) and a couple of Mitchell Mauser's. The guy at Dunham's was trying to tell me they aren't going to get any more due to the import ban on surplus rifle's. I'm pretty sure this only involves U.S. made surplus being return/import from out side the U.S. Correct me if I'm wrong, seems there some confusion regarding this. I think this guy is just trying to create some panic buying.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It is typical for the employees to give wrong information. Sometimes they are full of bs, but often they are learning on the job from talking to others. The longer on the job, the more they know. Yesterday at Cabela's, I asked the man behind the counter if they had any black powder. He told me no, and he said I would probably have to order online because he thought it was no longer able to be sold in Texas. I told him that was not right because my last purchase was at Bass Pro Shops. It is hard to find however because it is very regulated and the requirements for legally storing it makes it not worth the trouble. He was a very nice older gentleman that I had a good time talking to about black powder shooting. I did buy 2 boxes of HP ammo for my SKS and a box of 9mm, but 22lr was out of stock. They did have CCI 22 shorts for 9.99 for 100, but who wants that?
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

I agree. You have to be very careful when you listen to "outfitters" and sales people. I have found that in many cases, they are passing along word-of-mouth third hand (or worse) "information." Some of them know a little about a lot of different types of rifles, and speak with grave authority, imparting laughably wrong "facts." I'll never forget the guy who told another "outfitter" within my earshot that all hex receiver 91/30s are ex-snipers!

Some of these staffers are just trying to panic you into a purchase. There is a Chicken Little/Boy Who Cried Wolf quality to these "No more Mosin," stories. Just yesterday at Cabela's I was told that they have plenty from a stockpiled source here in the US.

No one really knows.

But I also agree with a comment that JYD made yesterday. The Ukranians may now be regretting that they exported so many of these rifles. One would think that any nation with a stockpile of milsurps would take a lesson from this. I could go on at length, but I'd be contravening the political commentary proscription. :wink: