First Pheasant

BuckeyeSgt

First Pheasant

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

My dad always took me rabbit and pheasant hunting when I was little. But there were never any pheasants back then. Took a little side trip this morning to southern Indiana. So I finally got my first one. And I have a cooler full of meat.

On the way out I looked off the side of the road and a huge bird took flight. It was munching on a dead doe that got hit by a car. I couldn't get to the camera fast enough as it flew right next to me for a minute. The first time I have seen a bald eagle in the wild. Very impressive. It was a great time, but pretty chilly at 20 deg.
We were allowed the hen since it was a game farm.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Dan4good

Re: First Pheasant

Post by Dan4good »

good job nice bird s
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Very nice Drew but that one seems to have changed into a dove. How'd that happen, lol?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Drew, you are a lucky man. I have never hunted pheasant, but I have never known anyone who did that didn't love it.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

WeldonHunter wrote:Very nice Drew but that one seems to have changed into a dove. How'd that happen, lol?
Huh? Lol We got some chukars and quail as well. They were fun too but I've always wanted a pheasant.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Nice bird, pheasant are the best. A bald eagle in the wild is a sight to behold for sure :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:Very nice Drew but that one seems to have changed into a dove. How'd that happen, lol?
Huh? Lol We got some chukars and quail as well. They were fun too but I've always wanted a pheasant.
That one bird looked like a dove. I've never seen a chuckar. I raise quail but that looks a little different than mine. Mine are Georgia Giants, a type of Bobwhite. So where's the Pheasant under glass, lol?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Great Hunt!! :thumbsup:

Ah the memories. I grew up hunting Pheasant in Southern Minnesota... We never used dogs, us little kids would run ahead & scare them up. As soon as you heard the birds rise you immediately hit the deck & heard the boom shaka boom shaka boom from the pump guns. Then you would wait for the lone boom from Grandpa's H&R Singleshot LongTom. Then the coming of age when I was old enough to walk with Dad, Grandpa & my Uncles carrying my own shotgun with my younger Cousins scaring up birds. Stopped hunting at age 16 When we moved to Minneapolis & I became more interested in Cars & Girls.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

:thumbsup: Looks yummy :biggrin:
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Pheasant is the Best eating!! Fun to hunt as well. I love it!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

Awesome! I love pheasant hunting. It's even better when you've got a dog to follow around. I can also relate to the Eagle. I had the pleasure of watching two of them circling around, locking up all the good stuff while our bird hunting.Awesome stuff!
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Best part about pheasant is how they can make a guy load is britches!!
tpsharp

Post by tpsharp »

I was invited to got hunting with the owners of the shipyard at the beginning of the year. Here are a few pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Some good eating there, :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Nice first pheasant, Drew! The bald eagles are darn near pests around here, they are so numerous! I remember pheasant hunting with my grandpa the one time. They sent me ahead with the farm owners' dog, and when I'd miss, my Dad & Grandpa would shoot, then argue about who got it. :lol: I did get a fox that day. (OK, it was caught in a trap. I got to finish it.)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien