first mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mikeee

first mosin

Post by mikeee »

Bought my first rifle last Friday. Here's what I think I have. 91/30 octagon shape breech, 1935R stamped on top,Izhevsk markings matching numbers throughout, and wood looks great.I spent the weekend removing cosmoline. It came with oil can and small tools but no cleaning rod.Bore and rifleing looks perfect. Why is there a stamping on side of breech that says" Redmond,Wa."? All comments welcomed, can you tell me more? Thanks, Mike
djbuck1

Re: first mosin

Post by djbuck1 »

Mike,

Welcome! Nice start to your Mosin collection! :thumbsup:

A few answers:

The banner stamping on the side of the receiver is that of the importer of the rifle. That marking is required by federal law. You will see other rifles with far less obtrusive markings on the sides or undersides of the barrels. Those are earlier imports. The receiver-placed stamping is the latest requirement by the feds.

You said that you have no cleaning rod? Usually it is in the channel underneath the barrel of the rifle. If you do not have one, a replacement is easily obtained. Just check the links of the forum sponsors.

You are correct, the receiver does have an octagon shape, but for some reason these are referred to as "hex receivers." They are sought after somewhat more than the round receivers because supposedly they are of a higher quality finish not having been manufactured under wartime conditions. My personal opinion is that the round receivers were easier to produce, but are in no way inferior in quality.

Your 1935 Izhevsk is the last year that hex receiver M91/30s were produced at that armory, so your rifle is also somewhat more sought after in that regard as well.

There are any good videos on YouTube about the care and cleaning of these rifles, but take any comments about history with a large grain of salt except for those vids produced by Junk Yard Dog, who uses the nick RockIsland1913 on YouTube.

There is a wealth of information on this site, and the experts (which I am not) are extraordinarily generous in helping the rest of us out.

Dennis
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

Welcome and a nice start to what might be a large collection of Mosin Nagants... The one who dies with the most Mosins wins :attn: :attn: :attn:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

First of all welcome to the forum!

Second congratz on your first mosin! Its impossible to own only 1

Third :dont:
gbeecher65

Post by gbeecher65 »

Enjoy your Mosin! I have a '33 Tula hex. I've owned it for over 4 years now and put only 300+ rounds thru it. (Don't get to the range as often as I'd like) The Mosin is a great rifle- simple and rugged. I just ordered a sear spring from Liberty Tree Collectors online. Mine broke in half after cleaning and dry firing, but is a simple fix. The Mosin is fun to shoot and the recoil is moderate, about the same as my sons Mossberg 835 12 gauge. Happy shooting! :wink:
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

Welcome, I'm a new owner as well. '42 Izhevsk for me. Already on the prowl for a carbine and hex.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Let's see some pics of that 35' Izhevsk. Got to get you trained up right! :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
mikeee

Post by mikeee »

For me to post a photo I have to call a grandchild or it won't happen(grin). Computers HATE me.
DJBuck, The missing cleaning rod is VERY similar to my 45/70 Trapdoor as far as location. I need to buy one. The bayonet does not have a matching # similar to all the other marks. I disasembled the rifle to look for pitting/rust on the underside of barrell, and this gun looks good everywhere. Thanks to all for the reply's, tell me more,great history/great gun
Roughsawn

Post by Roughsawn »

Welcome to your new support group! :D
Great pick for a first Mosin!. I'm fairly new here myself, and spend a good amount of time learning about these old rifles. Although I spend much more time here, this site is a good resource to look up info as well. I traded for my first Mosin last October, and have since purchased 5 more, including 2 carbines. What others say about this being an addiction is absolutely correct, but it's fun and not terribly pricey. :thumbsup:
Again, welcome!
Coveter of stinky old rifles!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You can get a world of information by checking out the videos JYD posted at the top of the main Mosin forum.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

PW Arms is the importer in Redmond. Chances are it could also be a Molot.