Mosin-Nagant accuracy

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
oldarmyguy65

Mosin-Nagant accuracy

Post by oldarmyguy65 »

Just wanted to comment on my range results with my 91/30. I fired 40 rounds and found my rifle to be amazingly accurate for a service rifle. I was able to hit 12 inch diameter steel plates at 150 and 200 yards by using the sight set a 200 meters, adjusting for elevation. Using Brown Bear ammo, FMJ on a steel cartridge. This must have been an awesome weapon on the battlefield. Oldarmyguy
john_the_plinker

Re: Mosin-Nagant accuracy

Post by john_the_plinker »

Yes, they can be amazingly accurate! Plus I really like the BB ammo, it is quite often the first ammo I try.

Oh, and... :worthless:

:biggrin:
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Yes,we like them around here.Matter of fact,some guys just cant get enough of them..
Hey,wait a minute,where's the pictures..We cant let that slide..
:twisted:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Steel plates can be very detrimental to your heath and those around you, as they can come back to harm you, and or those around you. :attn:

Paper targets w/ a good back stop aka dirt. :thumbsup:
ditchtiger

Post by ditchtiger »

Joeinthehills wrote:Steel plates can be very detrimental to your heath and those around you:
It's all fun till someone loses an eye.
My plates are at 500yds.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

You guys have scared me about those dam steel plates. I'm gonna use wood now. The hanger at the range I use is only 100 yards out and I have heard a second "thunk" from the smaller caliber rifles.
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Good shooting :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , 90% is the person. Set your metal plates further away. Safety first :thumbsup: Still good shooting. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

An army wouldn't last long if it didn't build a rifle with at least some accuracy potential. The Mosin is not a US M1903 ( unless it's a M39) but it will hold it's own against the European competition of it's time. like any weapon it's only as good as the person using it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Considering that most casualties on the battlefield are produced by artillery and machineguns...

The British army and the U.S. army emphasised marksmanship. The Russian army did not to the same extent. But yes, the idea of a battle rifle is to enable its wielder to reach out and touch somone at 500 meters.

Back in the day, that could be done with some expectation of success and regularity.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
oldarmyguy65

Post by oldarmyguy65 »

Regarding the steel plates. These are my shooting clubs' plates. The 150 and 200 yards are limited to the provided plates,These targets are set into a carved out dirt hillside and it is difficult to get to. The club does not let you put your own targets out. At 100 yards, the club provides steel plates but you can set your own targets if you want, and they do provide wood stands. The club has used wood target holders exclusively for many years, but it became expensive to continue to replace the wood as the frames would get shot to pieces quickly (especially by the guys with AK47 and AR15s who seemed to subscribe to the "pray and spray" theory of marksmanship).And it was a pain to go to the range and find you have to build a frame before setting you targets. In the 6 years I have belonged to the club, we have not had any reports of back riccochet, We did have some problems with rocks in the ground sending slugs around the area, we took out all the rocks we could see and covered the ground and berms with clean fill. Oldarmyguy
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Spray and pray, oh what fun it must be to spend money like it's water, thank you, but no, I prefer a slower pace. SAA's and single shot muskets will teach you fire discipline.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have fixed my neighbor's AR twice now after the kids run it to death and shoot all Dad's ammo up in it. He uses the cheaper steel cased Wolf ammo and they jam in the chamber. I have sent him packing to a gunsmith once with a live cartridge in the chamber which was more than I wanted to mess with. Good thing he has a bull barrel and a high tolerance to the kids irresponsibility because I for sure would not have put up with it. I have found that dropping them off at the range with 20 rounds of ammo and telling them you will be back later has a great effect if you leave them there for an hour or so! Bill :lol:
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

My '43 Izhevsk will consistently group sub 2" at 100 yards. Amazingly accurate.
Jon
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Joeinthehills wrote:Steel plates can be very detrimental to your heath and those around you, as they can come back to harm you, and or those around you. :attn:

Paper targets w/ a good back stop aka dirt. :thumbsup:
+1

Our local gunsmith shop had a cook out and shoot last fall (they have a range on their property), and had a steel gong hanging up for .22 and pistol calibers. The rest of us rifle users had to shoot paper targets on plywood at 100yds. There was only one berm behind it all so we'd switch between rifle and pistol shooting. One guy had a PSL, shooting surplus 54r at the steel gong ricocheted off the steel gong, came back 100yds at hit the barn above the other folks watching and eating. Needless to say there was a very emotional plea for him to stop shooting. There were about 60 people there, someone was watching out for us. Not to dredge up an old thread for nothing, but be careful shooting steel.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

If you feel the need for steel targets, just run up and beat on it with the rifle butt.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."