Reattaching scope to pu sniper??

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
njragan56

Reattaching scope to pu sniper??

Post by njragan56 »

Ok I feel like I'm missing something. But is there a proper way to remount the scope back onto the the base on the receiver. It has the two small round headed screws, and the large screw. Is there a proper why to torque these bolts? I am taking my pu out to sight it in tomorrow.
Send the hate!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: Reattaching scope to pu sniper??

Post by Darryl »

njragan56

Post by njragan56 »

Ok I took it to the range today and I noticed the scope is not centered on the rifle. The scope is cockeyed and when the windage and elevation are set to zero the reticle is way right. So from what I have read I need to grind off some of scope base. Does this sound corect?
Send the hate!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

njragan56 wrote:Ok I took it to the range today and I noticed the scope is not centered on the rifle. The scope is cockeyed and when the windage and elevation are set to zero the reticle is way right. So from what I have read I need to grind off some of scope base. Does this sound corect?
Do you have a picture of the scope from the rear showing how it sits? I would only do the grinding as a very last resort. Once the metal is gone you can't put it back. There's other adjustments you can do to recenter the reticle and as far as I know grinding the scope mount won't center it. Do not grind unless you've exhausted all other avenues.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Ok, what adjustments to recenter the reticle? Link?
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Isn't shooting right a "shim" situation?
njragan56

Post by njragan56 »

To recenter the reticle turned I the windage and elevation nobs to zero. I had the rifle on sandbags and the iron sights where on target but when looking through the scope the reticle was was way right... I mean like 6-10 feet.
Send the hate!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

jones0430 wrote:Ok, what adjustments to recenter the reticle? Link?
On most PUs that the scope is centered..ie mounted correctly on the rifle you'd probably only have turn the elevation and/or the windage knob to center the reticle then loosen the calibration and set screws holding the knobs in place and rezero the index or "calibrated ring" them then retighten. In this case with him saying the scope doesn't look centered over the barrel that might not be all that needs to be done. That's why I asked to see pictures. I've seen a few of the recent PUs that have come in with misaligned mounts causing the scope to sit off to one side or the other. First thing to do is figure out if it is actually not sitting correctly and if it isn't, then why? We see guys come in with problems and sometimes not wait to get a few answers and start doing adjustments including stuff that can't be undone. That's why I was saying to make real sure that grinding is the only way to address this and that it should be the last resort. Dolk posted this earlier http://www.mosinnagant.net/sniper%20sec ... ghting.asp in the thread and it shows the screws that you use to correct misaligned reticles. Each adjustment knob has three screws. They have two that tighten the knob to the calibration ring clamp and a set screw or "adjustment knoblock screw" in the center next the the splindle.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

njragan56 wrote:To recenter the reticle turned I the windage and elevation nobs to zero. I had the rifle on sandbags and the iron sights where on target but when looking through the scope the reticle was was way right... I mean like 6-10 feet.
Did you shoot it? If so how did it shoot with iron sights and how did it shoot with the scope? Don't assume anything by looking down the sights or the scope. The first step is to see where it's actually hitting on the target in relation to where you're aiming. One other thing I meant to ask. Is this scope and mount original to the rifle? I saw where you asked about reattaching it to the rifle.
njragan56

Post by njragan56 »

I shot with the scope and with the iron sights. At 100 yards the iron sights were about 4 inches high but dead center. And with the scope I had no idea where is was hitting so I figured I shouldn't be shooting a rifle if I don't know where the billet is going. So I started looking at the scope it's self and noticed it was cockeyed. So I gave up using the scope for the day, and figured it was time to do some reading.
Send the hate!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

njragan56 wrote:I shot with the scope and with the iron sights. At 100 yards the iron sights were about 4 inches high but dead center. And with the scope I had no idea where is was hitting so I figured I shouldn't be shooting a rifle if I don't know where the billet is going. So I started looking at the scope it's self and noticed it was cockeyed. So I gave up using the scope for the day, and figured it was time to do some reading.

Here's what mine looks like from the back. Sorry about the picture being so dark but the battery on the camera just died and I only got the one until it's charged.

njragan56

Post by njragan56 »

So I'm thinking I need to put shims in the front part of the scope mount. It seems to me the rear of my of the scope is inline and that the shims will pull the front of the scope mount away from the receiver and thus make the scope centered on the rifle. That's the conclusion I have come up with. I've sighted in modren rifles with scopes. But this is a whole new ball game.
Send the hate!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

njragan56 wrote:So I'm thinking I need to put shims in the front part of the scope mount. It seems to me the rear of my of the scope is inline and that the shims will pull the front of the scope mount away from the receiver and thus make the scope centered on the rifle. That's the conclusion I have come up with. I've sighted in modren rifles with scopes. But this is a whole new ball game.
No I wouldn't shim under the scope mount base. The way it's mounted to the barrel it probably won't be as solid as it needs to be. It may cause the base to want to rock. I see from the pictures you emailed to me that the problem is the scope is pointing to the right instead of the whole thing being canted to one side or the other. Something is wrong with the way the mount base is attached to the barrel it seems but it's hard to tell without having it in my hands.

Where did you get this rifle? I asked because I'm wondering it it's an Original PU or one someone made. That might be why the scope mount seems to be off but I have seen some of the recent imports with similar problems.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

One other possibility is this has a reproduction scope mount or the scope wasn't the one that was on this rifle when it was refurbed. May be the mount base is correct but the scope mount, the part the scope is mounted in was never fit to this rifle correctly. If I loosen the thumbscrew on mine I can get it to point to the right just like yours also.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Here's what he's talking about. These are pictures of his rifle and how the scope is sitting as well as the scope and mount.

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

The bases on these rifles are all different. Hardly any of them are exactlly the same. The holes drilled into the receiver are not the same. They must have used each base as a template to drill the rifle originally. The hole and pins are not standard on these rifles.

If you have a "put together" rifle from parts (either during re-furb or by Molot) then if they used a different base, they would have to "modify the base" to fit the rifle (the old holes and pins). The arsenals were pretty good at doing this in the Ukraine (RGUNS), but either the arsenal (or Molot?) did a poor job on some of them (the ones out of Russia). If that base does not sit right or it is cocked and not sitting flat on the receiver, then it will "cock" the scope.

First thing is to check and see if the base is flat hard on the receiver. Remove the mount and look. See if it looks "wrong".

Then back the two screws off that adjust it for up and down. If those get in the way and hang, it causes all sorts of problems. If everything is perfect, then you have a different problem. Dolk