whats my mosin 91/30 markings?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
JRB77

whats my mosin 91/30 markings?

Post by JRB77 »

Image[/img]Image[/img]Image[/img]

[hr]Edited: to show photos

redspoon

Re: whats my mosin 91/30 markings?

Post by redspoon »

1943 Izhevsk, Tula cocking piece and PW arms is the importer. Nice rifle and it sets in a laminate stock. Welcome to the forum and the madness.
JRB77

Post by JRB77 »

wow Thanks thats great to hear!
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

Welcome, nice rifle and stock :thumbsup:.
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

First picture is the importer's stamping - PW ARMS which includes the serial number assigned to this rifle. Second is a star on the cocking piece. That indicates that the piece is from Tula arsenal. The barrel shank can have an assortment of stampings - many we don't know the purpose of and assume they are some sort of inspection markings. The box in the middle indicates a Ukrainian refurbishment. There should be a similar stamp on the butt stock but that isn't always the case - but most of the time it is. I am assuming that this is an Izhevsk but the Izhevsk stamping seems to be scrubbed or missing.
JRB77

Post by JRB77 »

this is great to hear I got a good one! It looks like a '43 in the pic but its actually a 1942. but I don't think that changes anything.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Be careful when you clean that barrel shank. It may just be me, but it looks like they "painted" part of that barrel shank with black paint. They did that sometimes to cover a bad blue job. On yours, it might just be shadowing, but that paint will come right off with a lot of different cleaners. Don't worry, It's not the end of the world if it does.

I have a couple with black paint on them. Just keep the cleaner in the bore where it belongs! :thumbsup: Nice soft rag with some oil on the outside.

I'm just not positive, better safe than sorry. Dolk
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Last week I was looking at a MN and saw all sorts of markings that I was curiuos about and I did a little looking around here and found this great section that shows a ton of markings and their meaning. :ugeek:

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... index.html
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.